Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Kick vs PCSB for Daily Travel Bag?

Hi everyone,

As I'm starting to plan my next trip, I'm thinking I should continue my search for the perfect cross-body day bag for travel. I used to use a small black cross-body purse, but I've acquired a camera that won't fit in that bag, so I figured my first stop should be TB. I have the co-pilot, but it's just too big for daily carrying for me- I feel like I have a huge box attached to me. I don't carry a whole lot with me usually, so the main issue is enough space for my camera/tiny odds and ends.

Any opinions on the side kick vs the PCSB as a daily carry bag, preferably with enough room for a bridge camera (permanently attached lens, not huge, but decent size)?

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think I'd like the SK as much as I do, since I was pretty happy with the SE. I'm loving all the internal pockets that the PCSB doesn't have. But maybe that leaves you room for a padded storage option for your camera? Comparing the depth of the two bags, the SK is 2.8" vs 3.1" for the PCSB. That's not a lot, but without the pockets, it's quite a bit of space.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @tress29 noted, there's a dimensional and a structure/organizational difference between the two. How big is your camera w/lens? Will you also carry a water bottle or ?
    I have both and tend to use the PCSB only when I really am using it as a cube in transit and a walk around bag at my destination... and don't have space for a separate SK.

If I'm carrying more than the SK can handle, I usually jump to a halcyon version of the Daylight Briefcase. It's smaller and the profile is slimmer than the Co-Pilot... for me it works great as a cross body bag (usually carried in the back). It seems to have that magical TB Tardis ability to stay flat and discreet when empty or partially packed, but if you have to stuff a fleece in there on top of everything else, it can expand to swallow it all.

BTW, if you haven't used it yet, play around with the 'compare' feature on the main website. In the main thumbnail views, there's a checkbox that let's you compare several bags at once, like SK / DLBC / CP... unfortunately the PCSB isn't set up for compare, but it's a cool feature.
    Last edited by G42; 06-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The organization, pockets, and o-rings in the Side Kick are fabulous. I have never liked carrying a purse, so I usually have the smallest bag possible, like a Side Effect or Travel Cubelet. When the Side Kick came out, I noticed that it will fit a 5x8 notebook. Now I have a Side Kick in several colors.

On occasion a slightly larger bag is necessary. The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag usually fits the bill. To keep it organized, my Tom Bihn Wallet, lip balm, keys, travel tissue pack, and small bits and bobs all fit into the Side Effect. The Side Effect tucks into the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag with plenty of room for other items. I can fit a thin rain jacket, a folded rain hat, and/or a small umbrella.

I use the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as my in-flight bag. It has the Side Effect OR Side Kick, a paperback book, a book light, ear plugs, a travel sleep mask, an inflatable neck pillow, and snacks. I've even stuffed a 12 ounce water bottle in there, but every thing was crowded then (the water bottle fit fine).

I've never tried to add a camera with the other things I carry in the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, but several people use it as their camera bag. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started this thread and then forgot to come check back- thank you all for your help! I also do not like carrying a purse so I usually try to go for the smallest bag possible. After a lot of googling, and watching this video of a camera in a SE, I think I'm going to try the SE. If it doesn't work during a test pack, I'll size up to the SK. I think the PCSB is just a bit too much space. For my upcoming trip I am also flying Emirates for the first time and they don't offer a personal item, so I'll need a small bag I can squish into my A30 pocket until I get to my destination. SE seems like it might fit the bill. Thank you all for your help!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had last minute panic about space and ended up getting the SK- ended up snagging the last black/gray Halcyon one in stock! Hopefully I won't feel it's too big. I just keep remembering how silly the huge Co-Pilot looked on me and hoping I won't have the same experience!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runningtravels View Post
    Hopefully I won't feel it's too big. I just keep remembering how silly the huge Co-Pilot looked on me and hoping I won't have the same experience!
    I just used the SK all weekend at a conference. It held my Kindle, glucose meter, test strips/needles/lancets, an insulin pen, OTC pain relievers, 5x8 notebook, a t-shirt I bought, wallet, phone charger/cord. If I'm looking for a bag in bag when I use my Co-Pilot as my EDC, I think my SE fits better. I can stand it on end and pack odds and ends in the rest of the main compartment.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I just used the SK all weekend at a conference. It held my Kindle, glucose meter, test strips/needles/lancets, an insulin pen, OTC pain relievers, 5x8 notebook, a t-shirt I bought, wallet, phone charger/cord. If I'm looking for a bag in bag when I use my Co-Pilot as my EDC, I think my SE fits better. I can stand it on end and pack odds and ends in the rest of the main compartment.
    That is good to hear and it does make sense the SE is better for carrying little things in a bigger bag. I feel like I made the right choice with the SK! Thank you!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept looking at the SK for my trip to France this winter, having a bit of extra space to stash a hat or gloves or hold a guide book. But the real reason I bought one is that they finally offered it in my favorite Original halcyon, which is being retired!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I kept looking at the SK for my trip to France this winter, having a bit of extra space to stash a hat or gloves or hold a guide book. But the real reason I bought one is that they finally offered it in my favorite Original halcyon, which is being retired!
    That is such a great fabric! Won't lie, I was torn and almost got that color! Tough choice, but it seems like everything I own is grey or black, so I figured I had to go with the dark grid to match my lack of color Big Grin

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Side Kick came and I am completely obsessed! I was worried at first when I put it on that it was going to be too big, but I think it looks pretty natural. My camera fit easily without the bag looking bulky, and I've even used it to carry items home from the store if I'm getting just a few things (it can hold a surprising amount of stuff, as per the TB magic)! Thanks so much for all the guidance everyone! TB and this forum has done it again!

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Side Kick came and I am completely obsessed! I was worried at first when I put it on that it was going to be too big, but I think it looks pretty natural. My camera fit easily without the bag looking bulky, and I've even used it to carry items home from the store if I'm getting just a few things (it can hold a surprising amount of stuff, as per the TB magic)! Thanks so much for all the guidance everyone! TB and this forum has done it again!
    Would you mind posting a pic showing your camera in the SK? and which bridge camera do you use? I have a SK and use it as a EDC/camera bag with a small mirrorless camera, and have been worried that when I upgrade to a full-frame camera the SK will feel bulged out on the sides and bulky against my hip. My dad has several bridge cameras, and all of them are almost as big or bigger than my mom's DSLR, so I'm having a hard time picturing you fitting a bridge camera into an SK.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClicketySnap View Post
    Would you mind posting a pic showing your camera in the SK? and which bridge camera do you use? I have a SK and use it as a EDC/camera bag with a small mirrorless camera, and have been worried that when I upgrade to a full-frame camera the SK will feel bulged out on the sides and bulky against my hip. My dad has several bridge cameras, and all of them are almost as big or bigger than my mom's DSLR, so I'm having a hard time picturing you fitting a bridge camera into an SK.
    I’m on mobile because I’m traveling and having trouble uploading photos to the forum, but I have the Panasonic LUMIX fz70! Fits super easily (lens facing up) but it does take up a little over half the space at the bottom of the bag.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím on mobile because Iím traveling and having trouble uploading photos to the forum, but I have the Panasonic LUMIX fz70! Fits super easily (lens facing up) but it does take up a little over half the space at the bottom of the bag.
    Ooooh ok that makes sense then. My dads favourite camera is a Sony super-zoom bridge camera that probably looks at my SK and laughs maniacally.

My Sony a6000 mirrorless with Sony FE 50 mm lens also takes up about half of the SK, laying on its side so that the grip is facing up and is easy to reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk