Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maker's bag inside a brain bag

Just took my first dive into the world of TB packs by picking up a used brain bag. Really liking the pack so far and toying with the idea of the bag within a bag set up as a modular approach. Saw a video where a guy was using a MCB inside the brain bag which I really like. Was wondering about the maker's bag and whether it would fit in one of the large BB pockets if it was only lightly packed. And if it does fit, how easy is it too get in and out?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Gavin_Veltch, welcome to the Forums!
    I don't have either bag, but hopefully folks will chime in soon - I hope you enjoy your Brain Bag
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Hoping that someone here does have both and can experiment for me. I could just go with a cafe bag but I like the idea of more space and removable strap in the maker's bag if it will fit in ok.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I think in looking at more pictures the maker's bag is definitely deeper then pockets of the brain bag. I think now I'm looking more towards the large cafe bag if I can find one. Same width but only half the depth which I think should fit the BB. If anyone can confirm this I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Gavin_Veitch; 07-04-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also consider the Ristretto, I know I've seen someone mention carrying one inside a Brain Bag. (I don't have a Brain Bag anymore or I would have tested for you with a Maker's Bag.)

In fact, here's @tpnl's post with photos of a Ristretto inside a Brain Bag.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I'd heard of the ristretto but I will look into it a little more now. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done this. The Makers Bag will fit, but if you really pack it, it will be a bit wide and can be awkward to get the BB's cinch straps tightened down etc. If you don't need easy access to the maker's bag contents while it's in the BB, you could simply put it in vertically and it will fit better.

If you're just looking for a laptop bag that will fit in the BB, the ristretto is a better fit (though it's considerably smaller than the maker's bag).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm interesting. Had almost given up on the maker's bag because I was convinced it was too deep. My goal was to have a smaller bag with my essentials that I could use as organization within the BB but then take out as my EDC bag if I didn't want to carry the whole backpack. Saw a guy on YouTube using a MCB to do this (and is where I got the idea from) but I wasn't sure that would be big enough for me. I'm still thinking a large cafe bag would be my best bet if I can find one, but if I can't maybe the MB might be worth a go. I think the ristretto is smaller then what I want. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of a MCB in BB. I flipped open the MCB flap, so the wasabi is the inside of MCB. Both bags are empty.
    Maker's bag inside a brain bag-pic-1-1-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag if you want dual purpose. The Maker's Bag or even the large Cafe Bag would be adding a lot of weight and cost when stowed in the larger bag.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Ended up ordering a MCB. I think it will be enough room for my stuff and I know it will be small enough to easily get in and out of the BB.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin_Veitch View Post
    Thanks everyone. Ended up ordering a MCB. I think it will be enough room for my stuff and I know it will be small enough to easily get in and out of the BB.
    Be sure to post some pics of your pack out once you get it!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I got my MCB a few weeks ago. It's been working really well in the brain bag as an organizer for my essentials that I can quickly remove if I don't want to take the whole bag. The MCB sits in the front large pocket and has room for a water bottle next to it while being an easy size to slip in and out. I think the LCB would also fit fine but would take up most of the pocket and might not be as quick to put in and take out. I may still try and find one at some point to give it a try. Just wanted to update and post some pics for anyone else considering this config.