Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packability of DLBP in ballistic?

It seems like many people like the DLBP in Halcyon due its ability to pack down real small inside a carry-on. Can the same be done with the DLBP in ballistic? How packable is it?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    It seems like many people like the DLBP in Halcyon due its ability to pack down real small inside a carry-on. Can the same be done with the DLBP in ballistic? How packable is it?
    There is only a 3.1oz difference in weight, but the halcyon is more flexible/supple to start off with - ballistic takes time to break in and loose the stiffness.
    How 'packable' it is therefor depends on your preferences and perception... the design, in both fabrics, is made to be packable, but the 525 is more durable long-term.

From the description:
    "We offer the Daylight Backpack in two fabric options: durable yet light 400d Halcyon®/420d nylon ripstop with 200d Halcyon®/nylon ripstop interior pockets, for those who intend to use it primarily as a travel pack or summit pack; and a beefier version in 525 Ballistic with 210 Ballistic interior pockets, for those who intend to use it daily."

What other bag(s) are you interested in packing it into? Folks who have both might be able to share pics & impressions...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    What other bag(s) are you interested in packing it into?
    Aeronaut 45. I'd unpack the DLBP to use as a personal item on flights, and while sightseeing at the destination.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience was that the ballistic was just as "packable" but creased from the fold needed to fit it in the bottom of the main compartment on my A30. I would guess that as the 525 gets broken in, as @G42 describes, the creasing would be less evident. My dyneema DLBP doesn't crease.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette