Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions and hoping help about the Tri-Star

Iím a huge fan of the Tristar. The aeronauts are great for Ďsocialí travel but I love the practicality of the Tristar especially for business.

I posted a video on it here. https://youtu.be/cNkY-mwY7cI Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @BigBadD and @Rei: it seems that taxes and fees vary a lot from one person to another!
    But I understood that you have to be surprised and to be ready to pay!

No @AlaskaGirl, for now I have never used packing cubes, but if I order the Tri-Star, I will order some of them of course.

I tried backpacks in stores, but ... they were empty )
    Most of the people I know use wheeled suitcases, so I can't borrow backpacks to test. :/

For the weight and the lack of hip belt, I hope that it will be fine, traveling as light as possible.
    Having read the threads on the bag, it seems comfortable, and doable to carry 7 or 8 kilos (this thread it is not about hiking of course

I realized that one advantage of the Tri-Star, compared to a backpack, was that it eventually allow to have a little backpack in addition. Which is impossible ... with a backpack!

@Perseffect Thank you, I have watched this review, very interesting.

Any opinion on my packing list? Too ambitious, or is it ok?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go back to the stores - you can take a clean towel with you and roll it up to approximate a full bag. (It will probably be lighter than your actual load, but it will help you see if the bag fits you properly.) Or if you are in a store already - stuff it with another bag or merchandise nearby to try out the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Pna View Post
    Thank you @BigBadD and @Rei: it seems that taxes and fees vary a lot from one person to another!
    But I understood that you have to be surprised and to be ready to pay!

No @AlaskaGirl, for now I have never used packing cubes, but if I order the Tri-Star, I will order some of them of course.

I tried backpacks in stores, but ... they were empty )
    Most of the people I know use wheeled suitcases, so I can't borrow backpacks to test. :/

For the weight and the lack of hip belt, I hope that it will be fine, traveling as light as possible.
    Having read the threads on the bag, it seems comfortable, and doable to carry 7 or 8 kilos (this thread it is not about hiking of course

I realized that one advantage of the Tri-Star, compared to a backpack, was that it eventually allow to have a little backpack in addition. Which is impossible ... with a backpack!

@Perseffect Thank you, I have watched this review, very interesting.

Any opinion on my packing list? Too ambitious, or is it ok?

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Can someone please test pack? I'm am unable to test pack right now.

Here is Pna's packing list:

-Underwear, socks x6
    -2 shirts
    -4 t-shirts
    -1 (sometimes 2) pants.
    -2 wool sweaters (not too thick!)
    -mackook pro 13
    -sometimes iPad mini
    -Toiletry bag
    -2 or 3 little or medium sized muji pouches with small equipment
    NO extra pair of shoes!

Thank you! elisa

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Pna,
    Your packing list seems very reasonable. It's so reasonable, that I'm having trouble imagining it filling a 40L bag.

I'm going to suggest you check out the One Bag website. It has lots of great suggestions about how to pack. I'm not suggesting that you should become a one bag only traveler, just check out the packing ideas there. https://www.onebag.com

Good luck! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Can someone please test pack? I'm am unable to test pack right now.

Here is Pna's packing list:

-Underwear, socks x6
    -2 shirts
    -4 t-shirts
    -1 (sometimes 2) pants.
    -2 wool sweaters (not too thick!)
    -mackook pro 13
    -sometimes iPad mini
    -Toiletry bag
    -2 or 3 little or medium sized muji pouches with small equipment
    NO extra pair of shoes!

Thank you! elisa
    Here's a video showing the items described packed in the Tri-Star. The exception is the medium size muji pouches. Depending on how thick these are once packed, you could spread them across the front main compartment.

-m

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings @Maverick,
    Your videos are always excellent. It amazes me that no matter how familiar I am with the bag, you always show something new that I never noticed before. Thank you very much! elisa

Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whaaaaaa
    What a surprise !! I did not expect a test in real life, just an estimation of my packing list according to your habits of the bag !
    You are all amazing, many thanks @maverick for this great video !

Thank you Elisa @AlaskaGirl, i'll check this onebag website for sure.

I did not see that there was a frame for this bag (i saw one for the aeronaut).
    Yes the shoulder strap and the packing cubes are on my accessory list, maybe i'll try some mesh pouch too.
    I thank you all again. I really had a crush on this bag, i will order (and wait for) it now !

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whaaaaaa
    What a surprise !! I did not expect a test in real life, just an estimation of my packing list according to your habits of the bag !
    You are all amazing, many thanks @maverick for this great video !

Thank you Elisa @AlaskaGirl, i'll check this onebag website for sure.

I did not see that there was a frame for this bag (i saw one for the aeronaut).
    Yes the shoulder strap and the packing cubes are on my accessory list, maybe i'll try some mesh pouch too.
    I thank you all again. I really had a crush on this bag, i will order (and wait for) it now !
    Yay! I'm glad it helped, @Pna!

You are correct -- the internal frame is the one designed for the Aeronaut 30, but it also fits well in the Tri-Star.

With regard to packing cubes, I absolutely love packing with them! Whether it's to separate different items of clothing for myself or to separate items of clothing for different individuals, packing cubes really help to organize your packing!
    Last edited by maverick; 07-17-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour @Pna,

Regarding a padded hip belt, given the length of the Tri-Star (18.9" / 48 cm), and given your height (177 cm), I wonder if it would sit too high.

Here's a picture of the Tri-Star (I haven't packed anything in it for this picture) with the padded hip belt meant for the Aeronauts. I'm 5' 8" / 172 cm tall, and the hip belt ends up sitting around my stomach.

I don't generally use a hip eblt with the Tri-Star, although I really like using one with the Hero's Journey. The Hero's Journey is a taller pack, so the hip belt sits at my waist. Let me also share a picture of the Hero's Journey, worn with the padded hip belt.
    Attached Images Attached Images Questions and hoping help about the Tri-Star-img_0583-jpg  Questions and hoping help about the Tri-Star-img_0119-jpg 
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Here's a video showing the items described packed in the Tri-Star. The exception is the medium size muji pouches. Depending on how thick these are once packed, you could spread them across the front main compartment.
    @maverick, you are awesome as always!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yay! I'm glad it helped, @Pna!

You are correct -- the internal frame is the one designed for the Aeronaut 30, but it also fits well in the Tri-Star.
    It's good to know that both the hip belt and the frame can be used for the TS.
    (Maybe that's the "Optional, removable 1" / 25 mm waist strap" mentionned in the Tri-Star Specs.)
    This will be the opportunity to make a next order

Did I read somewhere that the plastic clips inside the central compartment of the TS (designed to hook the cache) can be removed?
    I would like to be able to use this compartment with my computer without the cache and without the risk of scratching it with these clips.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to know that both the hip belt and the frame can be used for the TS.
    (Maybe that's the "Optional, removable 1" / 25 mm waist strap" mentionned in the Tri-Star Specs.)
    This will be the opportunity to make a next order

Did I read somewhere that the plastic clips inside the central compartment of the TS (designed to hook the cache) can be removed?
    I would like to be able to use this compartment with my computer without the cache and without the risk of scratching it with these clips.
    Bonjour, @Pna!

The optional 1" waist strap is a simple webbing strap, not a padded strap.

The Gatekeeper Rail Clips which are used to attach the Cache to the webbing loops inside the Tri-Star's middle compartment are removable -- so all that's left are a couple of small webbing loops.
    -m

Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour @maverick,
    thank you again, then i guess i'm absolutely ready to order my bag, and i'm already impatient!
    Thanks to all the forum members, i'll post some pictures as soon as I get my bag!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour @maverick,
    thank you again, then i guess i'm absolutely ready to order my bag, and i'm already impatient!
    Thanks to all the forum members, i'll post some pictures as soon as I get my bag!
    Yay!! I am super excited for you!!!

I think we all understand that feeling of placing the order and then having to wait for it to arrive! The hardest part for me is the day of arrival -- if I am at home, I am wondering what time UPS will arrive. If I'm out, and I get the delivery notification, there is a restlessness of wanting to get home to greet the new arrival!

But it's always well worth the wait!
    -m

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast