Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ristretto as a packing cube inside Synapse 25

Flying with a full Synapse 25 can be difficult because it takes up all the space under the seat, but if I put it in the overhead I don't have any of my stuff. It's also a bit bigger than I need for EDC.

I was thinking about switching to the Ristretto for EDC, and using it as a personal item on the plane. To make things easier to carry, I'd like to use the Ristretto as a packing cube inside the Synapse 25, and only take it out when I'm on the plane or as a day pack.

Does anyone have a picture of the Ristretto inside a Synapse 25?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @chocoleaf, welcome to the Forums!

Yes, I think that would work well--with the caveat that you might have a hard time stuffing your Ristretto back inside the S25 at the end of the flight if you have other things in the main compartment of the Synapse. I'm attaching two pictures of a Ristretto inside a Synapse 25, one from the top and one from the front. In these photos the Ristretto holds two stuffed 3D Clear Organizer Cubes stacked in a T shape just to keep the Ristretto from being completely flat. I was able to easily slide in a full Side Kick in front of the Ristretto to show that there's room left for other things--something a little bigger would also fit, but the Side Kick was nearby so that's what I grabbed for the photo.

Oh, one other note: the straps sticking out the top of my S25 are Gatekeeper Rail Clips holding my laptop's Cache. I slid the Cache up out of the way and hung it over the back of the chair so it wouldn't be in the bag for the photos.

Ristretto as a packing cube inside Synapse 25-img_3369-2-jpgRistretto as a packing cube inside Synapse 25-img_3372-jpg
    Last edited by aedifica; 07-17-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: de-enormify the photos
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for the quick response @aedifica! Looks like it's possible. Like you said I'll probably have to pack carefully.

Did you notice whether the Ristretto's padding takes up a lot of room in the Synapse 25?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chocoleaf View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick response @aedifica! Looks like it's possible. Like you said I'll probably have to pack carefully.

Did you notice whether the Ristretto's padding takes up a lot of room in the Synapse 25?
    You're welcome! I'm not sure I understand this question, would you explain?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, absolutely. The Ristretto is padded, but I wasn't able to find that much information on how much space the padding takes up because it's probably rarely used as a packing cube. It'd be helpful to understand how much padding there is in the Ristretto, compared to something like a laptop sleeve or similar.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chocoleaf View Post
    Sure, absolutely. The Ristretto is padded, but I wasn't able to find that much information on how much space the padding takes up because it's probably rarely used as a packing cube. It'd be helpful to understand how much padding there is in the Ristretto, compared to something like a laptop sleeve or similar.
    Oh, got it! It's basically as though they had combined a Cache with a messenger bag (well, the older-style Cache that had a flap opening instead of a zipper). I don't know how accurate this is, but I calculated at one point that the Ristretto's volume (9 liters) was equivalent to taking an 11.5-liter bag and putting a Cache in it. I really want to emphasize, though, that I can't remember what data I used to come to that conclusion and I don't know if it's accurate.

In the third picture on the Ristretto product page you can see the front piece of padding, including the flap that folds over to protect the top of the laptop; you can kind of see how it also curves around to protect the laptop's sides and it does the same at the bottom. A similar thickness of padding is sewn into the back of the bag. That's it!
    Last edited by aedifica; 07-18-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: fix where I said "back" and meant "top"
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like I can get rid of my current laptop sleeve then. Thanks so much! Time to buy a Ristretto Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Daylight Briefcase is perfect for this as it all zips shut. You can add the Cache to fit your small laptop or tablet or use a padded sleeve.