Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fabric abrasiveness - 525d vs Halcyon 400?

Which is less abrasive to fabrics?

Iíve been using Small Cafe Bags as purses for a while now, first Cordura and then Halcyon. I was very happy to switch from Cordura to Halcyon when that became available because the Cordura SCB was creating visible abraded areas on my clothing over time, matching up exactly with where my SCB rested against my side.
    Now the Small Cafe Bags are available in 525d ballistic nylon, and Iím trying to decide what material my next SCB will be. Is the 525d less abrasive than the Halcyon, more abrasive, or so similar that itís hard to tell?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today’s new web listings for the Syniks discussed fabric pros and cons.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say so similar that it's hard to tell. For example, neither one picks up cat hair at all--and I think the "grabbiness" of Cordura that makes it pick up cat hair is the same thing that sometimes makes it abrade clothing, so if Halcyon and Ballistic aren't picking up cat hair I think they'll be fine on clothing. I've never noticed a problem with either Halcyon or Ballistic on my clothing!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thank you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I'd say so similar that it's hard to tell. For example, neither one picks up cat hair at all--and I think the "grabbiness" of Cordura that makes it pick up cat hair is the same thing that sometimes makes it abrade clothing, so if Halcyon and Ballistic aren't picking up cat hair I think they'll be fine on clothing. I've never noticed a problem with either Halcyon or Ballistic on my clothing!
    That's what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation! Oh no, now I have more colors to choose from! EEK! Smilie

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with cordura, as my travel style evolved I found myself valuing weight savings over the chance encounter that Iíve never experienced before of possibly having a bag rip. I also tried the ballistic 525 when it came out, but I dislike the shiny sheen it has. This is probably good for those looking for a more professional look. I use all halcyon now, with a few exceptions. I adore my pop tote in aubergine 525 and the ghost whales in 525. Everything else is black, Sitka, or ultraviolet halcyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB