Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does a water bottle fit in the side pockets of the Synapse 19?

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the Synapse 19 and the Synapse 25. I just bought,received, and test packed the Synapse 25 in Burnt Orange, and I love it so far - but just want to make sure that I'm not buying "too much bag"...so might be willing to downsize to a Synapse 19.

My intended use cases are mainly for hiking (with my dog and all his dog needs like water bowl, food, etc), travel (as a personal item bag) and eventually grad school (to fit computer, notebooks, maybe one book).

I like that the side pockets of the 25 can fit my 16 oz Klean Kanteen water bottle (for example, if I want to carry more than 1 water bottle with me when I go out for a long hike). Does anyone know if the side pockets of the Synapse 19 fit any sort of water bottle? (I searched past threads for the answer to this question, but couldn't find any info).

I'm 5'2, and it seems like I should prefer the 19 based on my short stature....but then again, I hate backpacks to be overstuffed (I've struggled in the past at airports trying to get stuff out of filled to the brim bags). And that is what I like so far about the 25 - e.g. that it would be really hard for me to overstuff.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by plutophile; 08-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plutophile View Post
    [...]
    I like that the side pockets of the 25 can fit my 16 oz Klean Kanteen water bottle [...]
    I was looking for that kind of information, thanks

I don't own a S19 (only a S25) sorry I can't really help, but my guess it should fit bottle "one size" under (like 33cl, I don't master ounces :,))

and welcome!
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an S19 and a 16 oz Nalgene, and that one fits fine in the side pockets. Not sure about Kleen Kanteen since I don't have one. Here are the dimensions of the Nalgene. https://www.nalgene.com/product/2179-0016/

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plutophile View Post

I like that the side pockets of the 25 can fit my 16 oz Klean Kanteen water bottle (for example, if I want to carry more than 1 water bottle with me when I go out for a long hike). Does anyone know if the side pockets of the Synapse 19 fit any sort of water bottle? (I searched past threads for the answer to this question, but couldn't find any info).
    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I have an S19 and a 16 oz Nalgene, and that one fits fine in the side pockets. Not sure about Kleen Kanteen since I don't have one. Here are the dimensions of the Nalgene. https://www.nalgene.com/product/2179-0016/
    I use the same Nalgene as @emcee in my S19... note that with the change recently to the pocket configurations on the Synapses, it fits better in the newer version that the old, but does still fit the old.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S19 is the older side pocket design, so they're bigger now, but even mine fits a mini box of wine.

S19 would not have been a big enough bag for me in grad school. When I finished and got a teaching job, I downsized to the S19. You could probably use it in combination with another bag, like a Maker's bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone! I ended up purchasing the S19 so I can do another test pack and compare the two....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @plutophile - I'm curious how the 2 compared. I have a S19 and can fit a 16 oz. Nalgene bottle in the side pocket. Am 5' and love the smaller size of the S19. I'm a grad student and after working and studying with the S19 for a few semesters, find that I struggle getting in my 13" laptop with cache, notebooks and one or books and other daily carry stuff in. Am thinking about a S25 or Synik 30. Am curious what you decided. Thanks in advance!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @hi1wendee! I ended up keeping the S19. I do think the S25 is the more versatile size, since I can imagine using it for travel, and it seems a better size for grad school (as you pointed out). But I ended up keeping the S19 because the S25 felt too large for me for 80% of time. I use my S19 currently for hiking with my dog, and just general outdoor activities. For that, this is the perfect size! Once I start grad school (next year), I may actually look into the Synik....

Hope this helps!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi1wendee View Post
    Hi @plutophile - I'm curious how the 2 compared. I have a S19 and can fit a 16 oz. Nalgene bottle in the side pocket. Am 5' and love the smaller size of the S19. I'm a grad student and after working and studying with the S19 for a few semesters, find that I struggle getting in my 13" laptop with cache, notebooks and one or books and other daily carry stuff in. Am thinking about a S25 or Synik 30. Am curious what you decided. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the Forums @hi1wendee!

If you haven't heard this already, be sure to try to measure your torso size and compare that to the overall height of the backpacks... torso length is often more important than your overall height in how well a bag fits.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...sting-fit.html

I'm 5'4" with a torso less than 20", so the Synapse 25 and Synik 30 (same height) are both generally too tall for me.... not painfully so, but vaguely uncomfortable. The Synapse 19 & Synik 22 are the same height and fit me much better, along with the Luminary 15.

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @plutophile and @g42 Thanks for the update and insight!
    Last edited by hi1wendee; 08-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.