Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: DLBC upgrade

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DLBC upgrade

Hey forum! I know there are a few DLCB vs X etc threads but I was hoping to get some opinions. I have a DLBC which was my first Tom Bihn bag that I love and even use as a strange packing cube when I travel then use as my EDC bag when at my destination. The challenge is Iíd like something just a tad larger that can carry a 13Ē laptop. Would that be the Cadet or the Pilot? The second challenge is it must be halcyon which doesnít look like its available. Not sure why were all still wanting ballistic nylon! That halcyon material can take some serious abuse and still looks brand new! Ive tried the Synapse 19 as an alternative, to be honest I really donít like that bag at all and will be selling it so Iíd like to stay messenger/laptop bag.

Thanks in advanced!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the Cadet has actually ever been made in dyneema/halcyon - that material is not currently listed on the product page as an outside material (it would be 400d). You can contact the fine folks in Customer Service to see if they have a perspective. Some designs do not lend themselves to the more flexible halcyon material.

The short answer to Cadet vs Pilot is whether you prefer flat packing or 3D. I prefer the Pilot because most of my non-laptop stuff is 3D vs flat file folders etc.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I guess the issue I seem to be having with the DLBC is that most of the things I’m carrying in it are more 3D than flat folders, notebooks etc. Tends to make the DLBC start to “bulge”. Part of the reason I prefer halcyon is the more unstructured feel to the bag that standard ballistic Not that it’s a problem, more of a slight annoyance on the DLBC, is the lack of organization which the Pilot looks to resolve.. Looks like the Pilot might be the winner.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the Pilot is available in Halcyon! It usually is, and I just checked and saw it's currently available in all three exterior Halcyon colors. (Though, as has been mentioned elsewhere, Original Halcyon and Nordic are both retiring, which will leave Black Halcyon as the only Halcyon exterior.)

...I did not need to know that the Pilot is currently available in Original Halcyon/Island. I really didn't.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait...Nordic is going away?!?! That’s my favorite TB color! Well I guess that made the decision a little easier

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Interesting. I guess the issue I seem to be having with the DLBC is that most of the things I’m carrying in it are more 3D than flat folders, notebooks etc. Tends to make the DLBC start to “bulge”. Part of the reason I prefer halcyon is the more unstructured feel to the bag that standard ballistic Not that it’s a problem, more of a slight annoyance on the DLBC, is the lack of organization which the Pilot looks to resolve.. Looks like the Pilot might be the winner.

The Cadet & Pilot are quite a bit bigger/more volume than the DLBC... I use the DLBC only as a minimalist briefcase (laptop & a couple files) and then (sans laptop/work stuff) as an urban day bag when I need something bigger than a Side Kick that isn't a backpack. It is a relatively flat bag and has some modest organization (but more than the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which is also in a lighter weight fabric)...

For carrying more stuff that isn't a backpack, I increment up to the Pilot.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies. The DLBC can hold a surprising amount of gear but starts to become a box with a strap. I normally try to go as light as possible but sometimes I just have to carry more stuff commuting around NYC. I think I’m gonna give the Pilot a go. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will be happy with the Pilot. I donít have one, but I do have the co-pilot and the DLBC. I really like the water bottle pocket on the copilot and think it would be equally useful on the pilot.

If you are looking for some other options either the luminary 15 or the makers bag might be worth considering. Both should hold your laptop with plenty of room for other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the suggestion of looking at the Maker's Bag. I have one in beautiful Nordic halcyon that I use everyday with my 13" laptop for my work stuff. It comfortably fits my laptop, several notebooks, lunch, water bottle, coffee mug, Bluetooth speaker, an assortment of admin stuff, charging cords, etc. It's an option to consider if you don't require a bag that zips shut.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pilot on the way but the Maker Bag is interesting, almost second guessing the Pilot now. I know I'm splitting hairs but the Nordic Halcyon only comes with a purple interior which is a no go. I wish they had the grey or wasabi option still available.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I have a Cadet and it is fabulous. I considered the Maker bag, I think it is very cool to have built-in water bottle/thermos holders. But I thought the Cadet looked more "professional," so I grabbed that one.

Honestly just buy all the bags and see which one you like the best, then return the rest. You will end up paying an extra $10 for the return shipping but in the end you'll get to check them out.