Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic Industries View Post
    Interesting! I like the vertical layout, look and smaller zippered compartment on this bag. Doesn't seem to me that it would quite fit everything, perhaps I'm mistaken.
    It fits more than you might think!

I don't have to carry a laptop, but the padded separator in the main compartment enables you to carry one without a protective case.

It's also wide enough that you can easily slip a water bottle AND an umbrella inside.

What I like most about it is its vertical orientation; it "wears" and carries like a much smaller bag because there's not as much horizontal real estate sticking out from either side. Because its bulk is vertical, it hugs your body better, enabling you to move about a crowded world (jammed subway cars, crowded sidewalks, tiny shops and cafes) with a bit more grace, lessening that "bull in a china shop" feeling when you're carrying a big bag.

One note, however: that front zippered pocket. You cannot overstuff it without it "bumping" into the main compartment and cutting into your space there.

Bucks County PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all, for replies and suggestions.

I'd like a secondary compartment with vertical storage and organization for the small tools: writing implements, pen light, rule, measuring tape and glasses case. Like the Ristretto and the Cadet. Similarly, I think an MCB with a Freudian Slip would work well for me if I lose a bottle. Or find a way to comfortably and conveniently attach a bottle to the outside of the bag.

I feel like the bag I want is a slightly larger Cafe Bag with a zippered secondary pocket up front with vertical storage. I realize the Large Cafe Bag was taken out of production.
    I don't remember where I first saw this hack (somewhere on these forums but can't find the post atm), but I attached a rectangular slip sleeve keyring on the strap of my MCB and I use a Nite-Ize S-biner (#2 size) to attach a water bottle there from time to time.

Check out the Tom Bihn Bags BST group on Facebook; aside from eBay, that's probably your best bet for finding a Large Cafe Bag (actually, I just checked - as of right now there are 2 for sale on eBay).

Forum Member Generic Industries's Avatar
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    It fits more than you might think!
    Very interesting! The Ristretto was on my radar earlier in my search but I gradually decided it would not have enough room.

Thanks for your input.

Consider it reconsidered.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drdamian View Post
    Check out the Tom Bihn Bags BST group on Facebook; aside from eBay, that's probably your best bet for finding a Large Cafe Bag (actually, I just checked - as of right now there are 2 for sale on eBay).
    Iím not on Facebook but I do dig eBay. Thanks for the hot tip.

Oh, and for the carabiner suggestion as well. I like the few Nite Ize items I have, including a few cord keepers, tie downs and a pen light. Iíd imagine their rubberized twist keepers are popular w the sub-compartmentalizing TB users.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting! The Ristretto was on my radar earlier in my search but I gradually decided it would not have enough room.

Thanks for your input.

Consider it reconsidered.
    For what it's worth, when it's not summertime (and I don't need my Pop Tote to carry around a hoodie in the 90-degree weather to mitigate the extreme A/C at work), my Ristretto in verde green is my "default" EDC.

There ALWAYS seems to be a bit of extra room in that darn thing for whatever I happen to pick up along my daily travels; magazines, newspapers, a new book, a small purchase at Duane Reade, etc.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pop tote? two water bottle pouches and the possibility to add a medium freudian slip.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pop tote external pockets are really too small for typical bottles/travel mugs. Little ones fit great, but your average 3" diameter bottle will barely go halfway down because of the way they taper.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all, for replies and suggestions.

I'd like a secondary compartment with vertical storage and organization for the small tools: writing implements, pen light, rule, measuring tape and glasses case. Like the Ristretto and the Cadet. Similarly, I think an MCB with a Freudian Slip would work well for me if I lose a bottle. Or find a way to comfortably and conveniently attach a bottle to the outside of the bag.

I feel like the bag I want is a slightly larger Cafe Bag with a zippered secondary pocket up front with vertical storage. I realize the Large Cafe Bag was taken out of production.
    My EDC is a maker bag with the MCB freudian slip - it provides all the secondary organization that you could want without taking up too much room (I prefer the configuration of the MCB FS, rather than the MB FS personally). The MB front pocket also has pencil/pen slots that might be helpful to you. But if you're looking for a larger cafe bag, keep your eyes open on Ebay or other venues for a used large cafe bag.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    The pop tote external pockets are really too small for typical bottles/travel mugs. Little ones fit great, but your average 3" diameter bottle will barely go halfway down because of the way they taper.
    I second this.

I'm not a water bottle carrier, so it's not a concern of mine, but I have found that on the rare occasion when I do want to carry a beverage, the only ones that fit are those newer tall narrow-neck bottles that are no more than 2 3/4" wide.

The side pockets are also good for small umbrellas.

And -- for this:

Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-screen-shot-2019-08-28-3-44-54-pm-png
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 08-28-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lia, ejvc and NYCwriter: Thanks for the Pop Tote votes. I hand't considered this one.

It's similar to the layout of my current bag, which is a Filson Rugged Twill Tote (without the zipper). Large main compartment with pockets at the sides.

For me, this bag has been pretty frustrating to use as an EDC. The side pockets work well for my thermoses, but that's about all it has going for it. (The bottles, by the way, are 2-3/4" in diameter). The handles are always in the way and without any built-in organization I don't carry as much as I'd like and things still get lost. That said, there is always room in there for extra stuff! No complaints about build quality.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while! I'm back to say I chose a bag and I'm quite satisfied. It's a Side Kick. I'll bet you didn't see that coming.

I considered a few bags and over the past few weeks came close to purchasing a Maker's Bag, Ristretto and a Medium Cafe Bag. But something wasn't quite right with each. Then, somehow, I got started in to looking at the Side Kick. Something clicked. The essentials would fit quite nicely. Really, truthfully, the bottles and the clipboard are secondary. The rest is what I need to tote full time. Other posts about bags and careful consideration of what I need to carry made it all clear. Now that I have been using the bag for a few weeks I think I made the right choice. I'm a bit surprised by how satisfied I am.

Here's a write-up of my new bag with pictures.

Special thanks to nycwriter, spcanf and everyone else in the thread for your help and careful attention.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while! I'm back to say I chose a bag and I'm quite satisfied. It's a Side Kick. I'll bet you didn't see that coming.

I considered a few bags and over the past few weeks came close to purchasing a Maker's Bag, Ristretto and a Medium Cafe Bag. But something wasn't quite right with each. Then, somehow, I got started in to looking at the Side Kick. Something clicked. The essentials would fit quite nicely. Really, truthfully, the bottles and the clipboard are secondary. The rest is what I need to tote full time. Other posts about bags and careful consideration of what I need to carry made it all clear. Now that I have been using the bag for a few weeks I think I made the right choice. I'm a bit surprised by how satisfied I am.

Here's a write-up of my new bag with pictures.

Special thanks to nycwriter, spcanf and everyone else in the thread for your help and careful attention.
    You're welcome!

And yes -- I love MY Side Kick, too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2