Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag

Hello all,

This is my first post here on the forum! I'm looking to purchase a TB bag and thought it would be a good idea to consult the forum. Any input or recommendations are much appreciated.

Here is a picture of what I'm looking to carry everyday. Also included, but not pictured, is an iPhone 6 (which I used to take the picture).

I would prefer a shoulder bag.

Thanks for the help!

Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_2132-jpg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @Generic Industries!

The Medium Cafe Bag might work for you, but it would be helpful if you could provide the dimensions of the clipboard and the tall bottle
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pilot. It has a place for a water bottle.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is for the Maker's Bag because it has two bottle holders and can easily accommodate the other EDC items, depending upon the length of the clipboard thing.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want two dedicated water bottle holders, I agree that the Maker's Bag deserves a look!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome and the rec. The clipboard is 9" x 12-3/4" x 3/8".

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question for folks here:

Would the Cadet be able to accommodate the two bottles with this EDC set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically the cadet could hold the water bottles - but they will slide or fall over unless you can figure out how to fasten them. Here is my approximation of the items OP listed - I used my macbook - 12 1/2 x 8 ish, and my zorijushi 16 oz mug and 24 oz hydroflask (11 1/2 in approx high) and some miscellaneous bits. The length on the maker's bag with both water bottles was challenging to get the macbook in -but maybe if you put the clipboard in first and then the water bottles it would go easier. Here are pictures of the items in a co-pilot, a maker's bag, a cadet and a medium cafe bag (I think that is the black halcyon bag).Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_5970-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_6485-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_7602-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_8355-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_9231-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_5499-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_3785-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_3760-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 08-23-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    Here is my approximation of the items OP listed
    Wow, spcanf! Thanks for running simulations! I didn't realize the TB forum would be like a super computer.

Just to be clear, is the burnt orange bag the cadet?

And do you have an opinion on which bag felt best/most practical loaded up?

Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - the orange bag is the cadet. To me, the cadet or the co-pilot were the best options if you can handle the water bottles sliding to the side a bit in the interior pocket of the cadet (I had them in the inside pocket of the interior so they were not just flopping around in the larger part of the interior if that makes sense) or the poking out for the taller bottle on the co-pilot. The co-pilot kept the two water bottles upright (assuming the bag doesn't fall over) and if you don't mind the bigger bottle sticking out a tad. The mcb had some strain on it when I closed it and it felt clunky to me with 2 bottles in it. The maker's bag is my least favorite bag in general so I wouldn't choose it but it might not bother you - I just find it too awkward and floppy but it does hold a lot.
    The other bag that I think would work well -although it is a bit larger -is the pilot.

Here is the cadet closed with all the items in it. (I wish I could figure out to make the pictures smaller -sorry)
    Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-cadet-2-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 08-24-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the pilot with the water bottles (one in side pocket and largest in the middle pocket) next to copilot - cat is for scale and because he would not get off of the bed. The other consideration is whether you want some room to spare or if you want the smallest possible bag. Looking again at the co-pilot - the dimensions of the clipboard are slightly larger than my macbook and it might be a tighter fit than the macbook is.
    Finally - I may be using too large of a second water bottle for an example

Bag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_7426-jpgBag me - Looking for suggestions for EDC bag-img_1210-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 08-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ristretto!!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maker's Bag, Pilot, or Co-pilot!

Maker's Bag is the simpler style if you want a basic bag. Pilot and Co-pilot are more structured with various pockets. You might want the Pilot for that clipboard in particular if you don't mind having a slightly larger bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post
    Ristretto!!!
    Interesting! I like the vertical layout, look and smaller zippered compartment on this bag. Doesn't seem to me that it would quite fit everything, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all, for replies and suggestions.

I'd like a secondary compartment with vertical storage and organization for the small tools: writing implements, pen light, rule, measuring tape and glasses case. Like the Ristretto and the Cadet. Similarly, I think an MCB with a Freudian Slip would work well for me if I lose a bottle. Or find a way to comfortably and conveniently attach a bottle to the outside of the bag.

I feel like the bag I want is a slightly larger Cafe Bag with a zippered secondary pocket up front with vertical storage. I realize the Large Cafe Bag was taken out of production.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast