Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC - Gym, Lunch, Work Stuff and a 30 minute walk

Hi team!

You were all so so helpful last time I had a question, I thought I'd try again! Big Grin I need a great every day bag to carry all of my crap that won't make me look like a crazy bag lady. These are my requirements:
    - I need to carry gym clothes/work clothes (I'll be wearing one set), a towel including a pair of barefoot shoes (very flat/light) - I think I can get this into a packing cube fairly easily
    - I need to carry breakfast and lunch
    - I need to carry my usual crap (currently I use a DLBP which is about the right size with a little wiggle room) - this includes pencil case, headphones, notebook, large waterbottle, coffeecup, scarf/cardigan/hat/etc... depending on the time of year
    - I'd like to look reasonably professional (it's a business casual, leaning more businessy office)
    - I need to be able to take the bus and walk about 30 minutes comfortably
    - I'd prefer it to not be huge! I'm a 5'10" woman but don't love ginormous bags.

I currently have a DLBP (too small for gym kit) and an S25 (too big for EDC - I travelled with a month with just the S25!). What bag should I buy?!

Thanks,
    Lisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the S25 until I read your last paragraph because your list sounds like it would need a bag with a fair bit of volume to hold it all and I personally would want a backpack if I regularly had a 30 minute walk.

You could take a look at the new Synik 22 that would probably be a good fit. Personally I have been really enjoying the L15 for everyday work stuff but it would be tight with the list you provided if it works at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I was going to suggest the S25 until I read your last paragraph because your list sounds like it would need a bag with a fair bit of volume to hold it all and I personally would want a backpack if I regularly had a 30 minute walk.

You could take a look at the new Synik 22 that would probably be a good fit. Personally I have been really enjoying the L15 for everyday work stuff but it would be tight with the list you provided if it works at all.
    Thanks for your response! I have been looking at the Synik - I'm interested about how it compares to the S19 (because of the price difference mainly!). I agree that 15 litres might be tight!
    Last edited by lizalou; 08-26-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried packing everything in your S25 and seeing how that carries? I find that the S25 main compartment is really good at sort of collapsing itself when underpacked and for me it worked well as an EDC. Even if it ends up feeling too big it might help you gauge if the size difference between the S19 and the SN22 is meaningful. It doesn’t sound like you would get much use out of the Synik laptop compartment so you would probably be fine with the S19 unless you think the clamshell opening would really help with your clothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about adding a frame sheet to your s25? May make it a better more comfortable carry for your load-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I have an S25 and a DLBP. I love the DLBP and find it great but on days I go to the gym it's FITS but doesn't carry well (straps get uncomfy). Therefore I thought of replacing it with an L15. But there are days when you just want a bag that's super light. So I thought I'd replace my S25 because to be frank whilst it's great it's TOO BIG. like it is massive. i tried a frame too. I didn't like the frame, i thought it just added too much weight and whilst the weight transferred when using a hip belt, i found I didn't want to use a hip belt. Living in an urban environment it just looks weird especially if you're in a corporate environment. Going hiking, no problem. But the S25 is useful still. Just today I've taken it to work and I'm playing tennis after work and it fits everything so well.

I considered the Synik22. However a couple of things bothered me. One is the price - I just cannot justify paying so much for a backpack, especially since I live in the UK, it would be way more with taxes and duty/etc. But also because I found it too "travel focused" and that's not a bad thing but not for me as an EDC bag (things like clam shell feature made me think this).

Do you find the DLBP literally doesn't fit your stuff or do you find it's uncomfy when you use it when it's packed more? does your gym kit actually not fit with the everyday stuff? I ask because maybe the L15 would be better because it's supposedly more comfy to carry when full than the DLBP is? Just a thought.