Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Makers Bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makers Bag

I always over looked this bag for some reason.

I am wondering would this be a perfect carry on personal item for air travel in which I could fit my iPad pro 12.9, a sony mirrorless camera, two lenses, travel items, documents and items for in flight travel?

Then I could use the bag as and EDC during my trip which would still carry my camera and perhaps have a bit of extra room in it?

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Makers Bag could easily accommodate those items. If you get the halcyon rather than ballistic, I would definitely recommend either an insert of some sort, or protective case for your camera and lenses, since the bag is not rigid or padded.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Makerís bag. I take it with me for my travels.

The only problem I see is that the top has openings on the sides after you buckle down the lid, so you have to be sure itís standing up all the time if you have loose items inside. There are workarounds but not perfect.

Otherwise size is perfect. I have a Freudian slip that does add a bit more bulk but I can organize my iPad and paper notebooks better with it.

Iíd recommend the ballistic material though. The weight savings is not much with Halcyon. Plus I fell off my bike once and had some scuffs on the ballistic, i doubt it would do as well with the lighter material. Glad I chose it!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dufffader View Post
    I have a Maker’s bag. I take it with me for my travels.

The only problem I see is that the top has openings on the sides after you buckle down the lid, so you have to be sure it’s standing up all the time if you have loose items inside. There are workarounds but not perfect.

Otherwise size is perfect. I have a Freudian slip that does add a bit more bulk but I can organize my iPad and paper notebooks better with it.

I’d recommend the ballistic material though. The weight savings is not much with Halcyon. Plus I fell off my bike once and had some scuffs on the ballistic, i doubt it would do as well with the lighter material. Glad I chose it!
    Welcome to the Forums @duffader!
    [I'm glad I'm not the only one who falls off their bike... Smilie ]
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Kansas City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dufffader View Post

The only problem I see is that the top has openings on the sides after you buckle down the lid, so you have to be sure itís standing up all the time if you have loose items inside. There are workarounds but not perfect.
    I agree with Dufffader. I have a halcyon Maker's Bag, and while I love a messenger bag style, in this material, it does tend to slump so the contents are not completely secure. I've often slung it into a car seat and had items come out if it lands cattywompus, because the bag gaps open under the flap even if clipped shut.

For me, the best use for the MB turned out to be as a "schoolbag" to transport mostly rectangular objects: laptop, books, notebooks, papers, with loose items corralled in clipped-in accessory bags or in the interior pockets. I used an Absolute strap with it and cinched it up high on my back and could carry astonishing heavy weights comfortably that way. Love it, but it really needs to be filled by things bigger than the gaps to be secure.

For travel security, my go-to replacement turned out to be the Pop Tote. It also needs sub-organization for it to really shine, but being able to zip it up is key. It doesn't have a cross-body strap, but I find I can carry it on a shoulder if it's not packed to the gills.
    Last edited by blueflax; 09-08-2019 at 12:47 PM.