Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand-carrying a Side Kick

I'm pretty sure there was a thread discussing this recently: Is there a good way to hand-carry a Side Kick?

I'd really like this feature. Wearing a backpack, all of my shoulder real estate is occupied, and I'd like the Side Kick to be in my hand for part of my commute. Comfy straps like the ones on the Shop Bags and Pop Tote would be perfect. Has anyone found a third-party accessory that can attach to the existing Side Kicks (both the new and old style attachment points) to make them comfortable to hold in the hand?

I don't really want to fashion something out of key straps, as they wouldn't be as nice to hold, unless they were wrapped to make them softer.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a fixed-length handle by sewing a pair of Double Gatekeepers to the ends of a length of one-inch webbing. As you said, that's not particularly "nice" on its own, so I also doubled it over (folding the edges to the center) and then sewed it down to make a "rolled" edge. Since I was just doing it as a test hack, the stitching is ugly (messy, unevenly spaced, and yellow-on-black), but I will take a photo tonight if anyone's interested.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id be interested in your pic. I prefer a hand bag over a shoulder bag for my EDC. Currently Im putting my SK (or SE) in a repurposed neoprene lunch bag so I can carry it as a handbag.

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand-carrying a Side Kick

What about wrapping something like this around one or two of the long key ring straps?

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16645280135

Or even one of the 1 shoulder straps, modified to the length you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The promised photos are attached below.

More notes:
    • As originally mentioned, please ignore the lack of craftsmanship; I guess the hideous yellow is helpful in this case to see what I did, though.
    • I originally conceived this as a cafe-bag-style "grab handle" to be used on the side gatekeeper loops (final photo)
    • this strap would probably only fit the "new" Side Kick correctly as a top strap, since it uses gatekeeper loops; for a top strap on the "old" SK, I'm guessing the suggestion of the 16-inch key strap plus a wrap might well be much better anyway.

Hand-carrying a Side Kick-img_20190903_185245-jpgHand-carrying a Side Kick-img_20190903_185308-jpgHand-carrying a Side Kick-img_20190903_185412-jpgHand-carrying a Side Kick-img_20190903_185607-jpg

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not a very elegant solution, but you can use the soft luggage handle wraps from Amazon to put over the key straps, in line with what @blackbird suggested. I used 3 key straps clipped together for demo purposes, but you could use one long key strap too. I am using single gatekeepers clipped to the side webbing loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    What about the Handle Loop? https://www.tombihn.com/products/han...nt=16645253511
    Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is fascinating! I was actually just thinking about how to work something similar, but hadn't been thinking about attaching the top handle to the 'horizontal' loop. CLEVER! - I have a lovely new SK and SE arriving soon, I'll have to share pics once they arrive.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for all the creative ideas!! I don't know about the luggage-strap size handles; I've used those kinds of things on actual luggage and they are too large to be comfortable for my hands. But this discussion gave me the idea that I could fashion something myself out of microfiber and Velcro.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    What about the Handle Loop? https://www.tombihn.com/products/han...nt=16645253511
    Good luck! elisa
    That is what I use to carry my Side Effect, or "murse".
    --------------------------------

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two ideas.

I bought a custom-length webbing strap from a company called Strapworks for this very reason. I wanted it to be about 16 but it was adjustable a few inches on either side of this. I was not impressed with the available hardware choices, so actually my second idea is: do you have any extra 1 TB straps that you can cut down? I have found that my sewing machine can handle folded over webbing ok, or maybe you could take it to a cobbler or tailor or other repair place?

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was a thread discussing this recently: Is there a good way to hand-carry a Side Kick?

I'd really like this feature. Wearing a backpack, all of my shoulder real estate is occupied, and I'd like the Side Kick to be in my hand for part of my commute. Comfy straps like the ones on the Shop Bags and Pop Tote would be perfect. Has anyone found a third-party accessory that can attach to the existing Side Kicks (both the new and old style attachment points) to make them comfortable to hold in the hand?

I don't really want to fashion something out of key straps, as they wouldn't be as nice to hold, unless they were wrapped to make them softer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk