Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Here - Looking for Advice

Hello!

New fan here. I have been researching bags for the past week and TB bags seem to popup often. Frankly what drew me is the cult like following this maker has which I like a lot. I have not purchased a TB bag yet so I need some advice as to where to start. I was thinking the S25 would be great as it will fit my immediate needs. I ask to offer suggestions for bags I should get along with the right accessories. Here are the type of trips I do:

1. Work (Driving) - Anywhere between 1-4 nights where I would travel by car. I am NY based and would travel to Boston all the way down to Virginia
    2. Work (Flying) - Anywhere between 2-5 nights. Busy cities such as Houston, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Nashville, etc
    3. Personal (Flying) - 3-5 night domestic trips.
    4. Personal (Flying Int.) - One international trip between 7-14 nights. Once every other year.

For work I keep it simple. Just a laptop, smart notebook, and maybe a tablet. All of my papers are digital. I usually wear chinos and a polo on work trips.

For personal trips I wear shorts and tees or jeans/pants with polos.

I am a bigger guy standing at 6'1" and weighing just about 300 LBS.

Unsure if all of this necessary but looking forward to being a part of the community and create a collection!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    The Synapse is a great travel bag. I use several Tom Bihn products with my Synapse25.

A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. This holds my clothes during transit and can be used as a day bag at my destination.
    A 3D Organizer Cube for liquid toiletries.
    A Stuff Sack, size 1 will fit in the side pockets of the Synapse25.
    A Q-Kit, either size will fit in the side pockets. The Mini Q-Kit holds my travel laundry kit.
    A Medium Double Organizer Pouch holds my itinerary, receipts, and any papers.
    A Cubelet for my chargers and electronic doohickey things.
    A Shop Bag, folded flat, for use at the destination.
    A Travel Tray. This is great to corral things on the nightstand.
    Most of this is secured to the Synapse with a Key Strap, so I have Key Straps in multiple colors.

Good luck! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @MJT7665!

I would check out the Aeronaut 30. It's a great bag to travel with and live out of... I use it all the time for work & personal travel on planes, trains, and automobiles
    Usually I bring a second small bag for under the seat in front of me... a Zip Top Shop Bag or a Pilot or Co-Pilot... and the Synapse 19 is a great bag for me, but since you're way taller than I am, you'd probably prefer the Synapse 25 as @AlaskaGirl says or the new Synik 30 (not available until early December).

Are you ok with more than one bag or do you prefer Single Bag travel?
    Last edited by G42; 09-04-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @MJT7665!

I would check out the Aeronaut 30. It's a great bag to travel with and live out of... I use it all the time for work & personal travel on planes, trains, and automobiles
    Usually I bring a second small bag for under the seat in front of me... a Zip Top Shop Bag or a Pilot or Co-Pilot... and the Synapse 19 is a great bag for me, but since you're way taller than I am, you'd probably prefer the Synapse 25 as @AlaskaGirl says or the new Synik 30 (not available until early December).

Are you ok with more than one bag or do you prefer Single Bag travel?
    Iím ok with a two bag system. I use the Ebags professional weekender currently but I want something a little more high end. The problem I gave with that bag is that itís 32L which makes it too big to use an EDC and too big to use to carry my laptop/work stuff from hotel to site. Thatís why the S25 is so appealing.

For work I donít mind using a 2 bag system because Iíll be carry stuff when I leave the hotel. For personal travel Iím a one bagger because I leave the hotel empty handed unless I go on a hike. I was able to do 10 days in Madrid using my Travel Elite 21Ē and a small backpack. Iím trying to move away from the spinner and use a shoulder strap/backpack system or use a >30L backpack to use in conjunction with the spinner if Iím going to buy souvenirs.

Right now Iím looking at definitely the S25 because I can fit 3 days worth of clothing in it and itís not too big for me for an EDC. For personal trips Iím looking at the A30. For longer international flights Iím considering something like the tristar. The WF also intrigues me as well because itís 26L and can be used a briefcase so in theory I can use the S25 with WF for the 2 bag trips.

Sorry for the long winded responses but Iíve been pretty excited about buying new bags. Lol

ETA: TSA friendly isnít necessary for me because I have GE & TSA Pre Check.
    Last edited by MJT7665; 09-04-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're looking at all the right options...

I will tell you that the A30 and A45 lend themselves to more 3D packing styles whilst the WF and TS are more flat packing friendly - that may affect what bags you consider for your personal style. Personally, I'm on the 3D side.

If you are contemplating the Synapse 25 and have time to evaluate, you may also want to read the reviews on the Synik 30 which is basically a supped up S25 - built in laptop sleeve, clamshell entry, luggage pass through, and a bit more space in the front to back/depth dimension. It lends itself to the single bag travel. Since you missed the pre-order, the soonest they will be available for general purchase is early/mid-DEC, but there are plenty of reviews to read and ponder upon.

The different Packing cube backpacks, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Daylight Backpack, and Daylight Briefcase are all good second bags and/or packable bags for single bag travel where you break out a smaller bag for wandering around, once you get where you're going.

Good luck and enjoy - contemplating new bags is fun!
    Last edited by G42; 09-04-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose S25 (Guide's Edition because hiking), and I wont go for a Synik (because hiking)
    I do not use it for work, but I do use it for main bag travel (with purse or shop bag)

If I have to choose a bag for work and travel, I will be appealed to the WF (TS is too big, actually S25 is too big on me, but it is the only size of Guide's Edition)
    as compromise between work and travel, Synik (22 or 30 depending on how minimalist one can be) sound pretty good too
    just a Bihnion here

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used both the S25 and the A30 on week-long trips. In both cases, my 'second bag' was a Side Kick; which because I underpack could marsupial into either bag. And I'm a woman, so it's my walkin-around-daily-purse, so I have all the various paraphernalia that accumulates into a purse. That might not be for you... Based on how you describe your travel style, if you can only afford one and only 1 bag right now, I'd get the A30. If you're considering getting two bags in the near future, get both the A30 and the S25 (or the Synik 30, if you can wait a few months). You might also turn into a bag-a-holic like me. Maybe you'll *cough* 'need' both a Synik30 and a Synapse 25. Maybe you'll 'need' a Daylight Backpack as well.

And of course you'll 'need'
    - Travel Tray (s).
    - Laundry stuff sack
    - Stuff sacks of various sizes
    - Spiff Kit and/or QKits
    - Organizer Pouches
    - Additional KeyStraps, of various lengths

*warning* Next comment is NOT ABOUT BAGS (unsure if that's against some unwritten rules); but if you haven't discovered them yet, another thing I always travel with is a ScotteVest hoodie. They also make all kinds of other jackets, etc., but for me the hoodie works the best for my travel style and needs. You could call the hoodie the "second bag" in many cases.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherryk View Post
    I've used both the S25 and the A30 on week-long trips. In both cases, my 'second bag' was a Side Kick; which because I underpack could marsupial into either bag. And I'm a woman, so it's my walkin-around-daily-purse, so I have all the various paraphernalia that accumulates into a purse. That might not be for you... Based on how you describe your travel style, if you can only afford one and only 1 bag right now, I'd get the A30. If you're considering getting two bags in the near future, get both the A30 and the S25 (or the Synik 30, if you can wait a few months). You might also turn into a bag-a-holic like me. Maybe you'll *cough* 'need' both a Synik30 and a Synapse 25. Maybe you'll 'need' a Daylight Backpack as well.

And of course you'll 'need'
    - Travel Tray (s).
    - Laundry stuff sack
    - Stuff sacks of various sizes
    - Spiff Kit and/or QKits
    - Organizer Pouches
    - Additional KeyStraps, of various lengths

*warning* Next comment is NOT ABOUT BAGS (unsure if that's against some unwritten rules); but if you haven't discovered them yet, another thing I always travel with is a ScotteVest hoodie. They also make all kinds of other jackets, etc., but for me the hoodie works the best for my travel style and needs. You could call the hoodie the "second bag" in many cases.
    Iíll look into that hoodie, thanks for the tips!

Iím buying the S25 tomorrow with the backplate. Any suggestions for other accessories? Iím a hyper organized person so Iíll end up with a bag for every situation. Lol My next 4+ day trip is coming up in two months so I have time to decide on the next bag. I have 6 1-3 day trips between now and Halloween so the S25 it is.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I chose S25 (Guide's Edition because hiking), and I wont go for a Synik (because hiking)

I do not use it for work, but I do use it for main bag travel (with purse or shop bag)

If I have to choose a bag for work and travel, I will be appealed to the WF (TS is too big, actually S25 is too big on me, but it is the only size of Guide's Edition)
    as compromise between work and travel, Synik (22 or 30 depending on how minimalist one can be) sound pretty good too
    Think Iíll go with the S25 first to fit my immediate needs. Then the A30 then the WF. By the time Iím ready for an international trip Iíll get the A45. Thanks for the tips!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I think you're looking at all the right options...

I will tell you that the A30 and A45 lend themselves to more 3D packing styles whilst the WF and TS are more flat packing friendly - that may affect what bags you consider for your personal style. Personally, I'm on the 3D side.

If you are contemplating the Synapse 25 and have time to evaluate, you may also want to read the reviews on the Synik 30 which is basically a supped up S25 - built in laptop sleeve, clamshell entry, luggage pass through, and a bit more space in the front to back/depth dimension. It lends itself to the single bag travel. Since you missed the pre-order, the soonest they will be available for general purchase is early/mid-DEC, but there are plenty of reviews to read and ponder upon.

The different Packing cube backpacks, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Daylight Backpack, and Daylight Briefcase are all good second bags and/or packable bags for single bag travel where you break out a smaller bag for wandering around, once you get where you're going.

Good luck and enjoy - contemplating new bags is fun!
    I have 6 1-3 day trips coming up so the S25 it is. The A30 is something Iíll get next month to satisfy my 4+ day trips. Currently have a 15Ē work laptop but thinking if downsizing to a 13Ē to allow for more packing versatility.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go for it! If you're going for multi-day trips with the Synapse 25, then I would also get a Large Zip-Top Shop Bag to bring along. If I'm traveling anywhere for a few days I bring a Shop Bag along (could be in other luggage, but in the Synapse 25 I tend to keep one in the right side pocket). I pretty much go along with the suggestions that @AlaskaGirl made. You have the option of also using a Snake Charmer in the bottom front pocket, if you carry a number of cables/power bricks. The Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches are another more recent accessory addition that work well for a variety of items that aren't as flat as the other organizer pouches, or as bulky as cubelets or Q-Kits. They're also sized to fit well in the side pockets.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bag to consider is a Brain Bag. It is perfect for 1 bag short business trips. It is easy to use the straps to make the bag smaller for short trips and it can handle longer trips too. I like that I can fit a packing folder, laptop, and other flat stuff in one compartment and can use the other large compartment for shoes, toiletries, headphones, and other stuff.