Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    9
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bag Size for a Larger Fella?

    So after posting for the first time and doing more research Iíve decided to not go for the S25 and rather wait for the S22. It seems perfect for my 1-2 day trips and the clamshell opening is what attracts me to the 22 over the 25.

    But, I have immediate travel needs. I was debating the WF or TS. Iím 6í2Ē and about 300 lbs so naturally my clothes are bigger than average. I can pack lite but I like the idea of the center pocket for my electronics or more clothes when not traveling for work. The WF appeals to me because itís smaller and can be used as an EDC in shoulder or briefcase mode and not look ridiculous. But unsure of how many clothes I can fit especially if I donít downgrade my 15Ē brick work issued laptop. I have a 13Ē personal one, however.

    But since Iím a bigger guy would it make more sense going for the larger bag?

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,561
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought that the WF and TS look like luggage, even underpacked... so to me at least there wouldn't be an EDC advantage to the WF vs the TS... but maybe since you're way taller than me, it will be fine for you. Regardless of what any of us think, if it feels good to you, then go for it

    If you like flat packing, then the WF & TS are good choices - pick the one with the volume you think you'll be most likely to use. They both will collapse into themselves to a certain extent, so under packing a TS isn't a bad thing, especially if the weight difference between a WF & TS doesn't phase you.

    If you like more 3D packing, then consider the Aeronaut 30 & 45.... slightly different capacities than the WF & TS, different visual look, and they definitely lend themselves to more packing styles. I also find them incredibly easy to 'live out of' since they act like mini drawers/bureaus on the road.

    HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

  3. #3
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    496
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a yeoman duffel, that makes a great compliment as a second bag to a backpack. Also, I know your waiting on the SN22, but I just wanted to add that I think it will be too small for you. I am only 5ft and the s19 was too small. The s25 was a much better travel bag with the frame sheet. I really think the SN30 will be better for you overall. Of course I do not want to deter you from any decisions youíve made. If not the yeoman, also look at an aeronaut, they are also a great compliment to a backpack.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  4. #4
    Forum Member PaulT00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Share
    By the seaside, England
    Posts
    437
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJT7665 View Post
    But, I have immediate travel needs. I was debating the WF or TS. I’m 6’2” and about 300 lbs so naturally my clothes are bigger than average. I can pack lite but I like the idea of the center pocket for my electronics or more clothes when not traveling for work. The WF appeals to me because it’s smaller and can be used as an EDC in shoulder or briefcase mode and not look ridiculous. But unsure of how many clothes I can fit especially if I don’t downgrade my 15” brick work issued laptop. I have a 13” personal one, however.
    Weighing in here as a 6'2" chap weighing about 250lb.

    I most often use my Aeronaut 30 (30 litre capacity, front loading duffel type) for (casual dress code) work related trips of up to 3 days, with the A45 coming in for longer ones. These days I'm carrying two laptops - a work issue 12.5" (Lenovo X280 which feels more like a 13") and my personal 12" ultralight MacBook. If you have a 15" laptop I think it would really struggle to fit in an A30, but you would be OK with either the WF or TS in that respect because of their wider, flatter form factor. The main issue is how light you can pack - for better flexibility I suspect the TS would be more appropriate on size grounds (33 litres against my A30's 30 litres) especially if you're carrying "business attire". The WF by comparison is 26 litres which is a significant reduction.

    I have a TS, bought used - but it sees little to no use. Packing format/style is another consideration - I get on much better with the Aeronaut format than the obligatory flat pack of the TS/WF. Your mileage may, as they say, vary, and - again it may depend on what sort of clothing and accessories you are packing; business attire might work better in a flat pack format, while my rolled polo shirts are happy in a duffel format A30!

    Don't forget that TB has return policies which - depending on where you are, obviously! - mean that it might make sense to order both a WF and a TS, test pack them both and return the one you decide is less appropriate, rather than trying to guess.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    9
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    What about a yeoman duffel, that makes a great compliment as a second bag to a backpack. Also, I know your waiting on the SN22, but I just wanted to add that I think it will be too small for you. I am only 5ft and the s19 was too small. The s25 was a much better travel bag with the frame sheet. I really think the SN30 will be better for you overall. Of course I do not want to deter you from any decisions youíve made. If not the yeoman, also look at an aeronaut, they are also a great compliment to a backpack.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Iím going to agree with you and get the SN30. Looking at the dimensions the SN22 would look way too small on me.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    9
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Weighing in here as a 6'2" chap weighing about 250lb.

    I most often use my Aeronaut 30 (30 litre capacity, front loading duffel type) for (casual dress code) work related trips of up to 3 days, with the A45 coming in for longer ones. These days I'm carrying two laptops - a work issue 12.5" (Lenovo X280 which feels more like a 13") and my personal 12" ultralight MacBook. If you have a 15" laptop I think it would really struggle to fit in an A30, but you would be OK with either the WF or TS in that respect because of their wider, flatter form factor. The main issue is how light you can pack - for better flexibility I suspect the TS would be more appropriate on size grounds (33 litres against my A30's 30 litres) especially if you're carrying "business attire". The WF by comparison is 26 litres which is a significant reduction.

    I have a TS, bought used - but it sees little to no use. Packing format/style is another consideration - I get on much better with the Aeronaut format than the obligatory flat pack of the TS/WF. Your mileage may, as they say, vary, and - again it may depend on what sort of clothing and accessories you are packing; business attire might work better in a flat pack format, while my rolled polo shirts are happy in a duffel format A30!

    Don't forget that TB has return policies which - depending on where you are, obviously! - mean that it might make sense to order both a WF and a TS, test pack them both and return the one you decide is less appropriate, rather than trying to guess.
    Thanks for the feedback! I went with the WF (Navy Ballistic / Wasabi) as I do indeed have the ability to pack lite. The TS wouldíve encouraged me to bring more things so the WF would be good practice. Ultimately I think Iíll end up with the A30 depending on my packing discipline. I also see a SN30 and Brain Bag in my future. Lol

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    9
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Business trips I like to pack lite hence why I pulled the trigger on the WF. For personal travel Iíll likely go with an A30. If my business travel trips get longer Iíll go with a TS. Basically Iíll end up with a collection lol

    Thanks for your input!!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJT7665 View Post
    Iím going to agree with you and get the SN30. Looking at the dimensions the SN22 would look way too small on me.
    I think you made a good choice here. I am 6í4 and I always loved the size of the S19, but when I tried on one we purchased for my father in law it didnít feel or look right.

    If you like the idea of a smaller backpack consider the L15. It still holds a fair amount and the proportions make it much easier for me to carry comfortably.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •