Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best TB Grocery Bag - Large Zip Top or Truck?

Hello friends,

The cheap reusable grocery bag I've been using for the past 4-5 years has finally ripped at the bottom, so I starting thinking about replacing it with a TB bag. I'm disappointed the non-zip bag has been discontinued, so I'm leaning towards the Truck as it's open at the top, but the large zip top does have an extra 2L capacity. Can anyone provide any insight into the best TB grocery bag, in your opinion?

I live alone and my weekly groceries normally fill only 1 of the large-ish bags they sell by the check out- those of you in the U.S. at least can probably envision it. I'm hoping for something close to that capacity, but even the 27L of the large zip top might not quite get there. I do have to admit the thought of padded straps fills me with joy- my poor shoulders have felt the pain of that cheap bag on my walk home for far too long!

Thank you for your help!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried out the Truck, so I can't comment on that. But I just wanted to chime in that the Zip-Top bags are really nice. You can always leave them open, but if it rains, having the zipper is great. The straps are very comfortable. I've gotten a lot of spontaneous compliments from grocery store clerks: it's remarkable how much weight the Shop Bags can hold, and how nice they are to pack and carry.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to prefer the disco'd open top shop bags for groceries because it's easier for tall things to stick out and I own a lot of them - but as @bchaplin mentioned, you can just leave the new ones unzipped. And if you do use them for other things (they're great under plane seats), having the zip is really nice.

As a single person who shops frequently, I actually prefer the small size Shop Bags (disco'd and current zip). I'm not buying a lot at once usually and if I do have a decent amount of stuff (one full hand carry basket at the store) I would rather divide it between two small bags vs one large, so I'm balanced when I walk.

If I have to walk a long way, I would rather put everything into a backpack.

I also own a couple of Trucks but mostly use them for carrying hobby stuff and around the house... they would work fine for groceries, but I like the mostly open nature of the Shop Bags and it's what I owned first...

The poron handles are very nice!

Oh, the other thing I've noticed is that with the large Shop Bags (disco'd or current), if there's anything compact or pokey packed in it that drags the bag into a point, it will brush the ground when I walk... I'm 5'4"... so if the bag isn't staying fairly flat on the bottom, then I would scuff it on the ground, which makes me sad.
    This doesn't happen with the small Shop Bags, another reason I prefer them.

I can carry them on my shoulder, but it's not comfortable to me if they're packed super full, YMMV
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the other comments. I'm also a fan of the disco'd large zip-top shop bags, which I use constantly. I have a couple of the zip-top shop bags (one large, one small), but I use them for travel, workouts, and for situations where I really want a light, closed bag but am already carrying a backpack.

In your shoes, I would probably choose the truck unless your priority is super-lightweight and collapsible, and then I'd go for a dyneema zip-top. Either one will be a huge upgrade -- really, these things changed my life. Comfy handles! No more broken bags and cans that land on your feet! (in fact, it was a foot xray after a falling can incident that convinced me to invest in shop bags it in the first place). All the groceries in the house in one trip!

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own none of them but

truck sounds perfect for grocery/car/home bag
    shop bag sounds more modular (can be fold and brought on travel more easily)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help everyone! I'm still a little torn but I'm leaning towards the shop bag since it is foldable. I appreciate everyone's input, even if it made me wish even more that the original shop bag hadn't been discontinued!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend the shop bag. Actually, in your shoes I'd get two small ones, to distribute the weight across both shoulders/arms and ensure a small shop doesn't leave the bag dragging on the ground. Either way, I think you'll appreciate the zip top for security while you walk, and it doesn't get in the way of your decide to leave it open. All pro, no con.

I use my Truck to carry equestrian gear, and prefer the shop bag for groceries because it's more collapsible.

And, yes, the padded handles are LIFE.

Edited to add, brilliant thought: one large, one small!

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a truck and a small zip top shop bag. And I use a grocery delivery service so I'm not carrying many groceries. But if I were regularly carrying groceries, I think I'd opt to use the shop bags--2 of them for balance. The main reason why is they can be compacted down to fit in any backpack I'm using while the truck cannot.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xyppy and others mentioned the foldability of the Shop Bags... we didn't specifically mention it in this thread, so in case you didn't read it somewhere else - the Truck has a stiffened bottom that means the bag can collapse around the bottom but the main large bottom section can't be crumpled up at all
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just get a truck and a few small shop bags to pack into it.

I use the Truck for loading the heaviest stuff - gallon of milk, 6 pack of drinks, large iced coffee. Everything else can fit in the small bags. I don’t own any large shop bags (I’m tempted) because they seem TOO big and I’m guessing could easily be overloaded.