Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't let that one leg of the trip control the whole journey. Check the Brain Bag with clothing and carry on the expensive and critical items in a smaller bag like a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or Daylight Briefcase. Either can be used in the Brain Bag or worn at the same time.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Just putting it out there... as nice as the Yeoman duffel is it’s 1lb 2oz or 0.5kg... as a just-in-case item that’s almost 20% of your total packed weight of 6.2lbs...

Much less durable but also much less heavy (and still very well made) are the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil duffel or day pack. Sub 3oz. But you won’t need it.

The packing list at 6.2lbs/2.8kg well light enough for the 11lbs/2.8kg limit. Just don’t overdo it on souvenirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I was considering a lighter duffel but I was worried it wouldn’t survive being checked on a borderline budget Chinese airline... any thoughts?

I’m not too worried about souvenirs at that point of her trip. The leg of the trip that is giving us the hassle is on her first day there PVG to TAO on Shandong Airlines, so she won’t be buying anything yet. She is in Business class on that flight, as far as we can tell it is most likely a 5kg carryon limit, but when we asked a local friend call the airline 2 days ago directly she was told both 5kg and 7kg on 2 different calls for that fare class. The flight home is direct PVG to ATL on Delta so she can buy a whole extra bag and fill it as a reward to herself since she is one bagging it there.

I’m still hoping all this planning and worry is for naught and she will have a 7kg limit, but I’m in the better safe than sorry camp, especially when it comes to my kids.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Thanks! I was considering a lighter duffel but I was worried it wouldn’t survive being checked on a borderline budget Chinese airline... any thoughts?
    I mean, you never know with baggage handlers but the Ultra Sil material is very strong, though anything pointy on the inside could puncture the thin fabric. I haven't had issues with mine, though I am gentle on them. The company that makes those bags claim to design them to hold 250lbs without any stitching or fabric tearing.

Edit: I was also just thinking, at almost half the weight you could do a TB Large Zip-Top Shop Bag instead, and 200D Halcyon is wildly strong. But I still don't believe in carrying too much in the way of "just in case" when packing light.
    Last edited by carrot; 09-16-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Wearing:
    Scott eVest...

Packed:
    iPhone and battery pack plus wallet in a TC, charging cord, adapter
    Travel towel and turtl pillow
    Unless you have other stuff in the ScotteVest, these should go in there, too. Check out Rolf Potts' no-bag blog how he uses his vest.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Eagle Creek digihauler which is lightweight, has minimal backpack straps that hide away, hooks for strap carry and carryon size. Don’t know if it is still available but might be worth looking for.

Also second Scottevest products. It’s reassuring to have your valuables hidden in clothing especially if you are traveling alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2