Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can it be done? Advice needed for a 5kg carryon

My daughter is taking a solo trip to China and hoping to one bag it. One leg of her trip is on Shandong Airlines which appears to have a 5 kg weight limit for carry on bags. She can get everything into a Brain Bag with plenty of room to spare, but itís weighing in at about 7 kg. Any suggestions besides editing what sheís bringing so it will fit in a S25?
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe she should try Lighterpack to help her prioritize what items are worth their weight? https://lighterpack.com Rather than repeat myself, I'll quote what I said about it in another thread recently:

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    ...I found it much easier to cut down on what I was carrying when I could see how much it weighed in relation to other items. It takes some extra time the first time you use it, but it saves the items you entered for previous trips so you don't have to look up their weights the next time. After I had entered all the weights I found myself naturally making choices like "item X is heavier than anything else, but I really need to bring it with me, so I'll take out items Y and Z to make up for it."
    Good luck! That sounds like a great trip.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you this will be perfect! My girl has loved a list since before she could write a list, this will be right up her alley.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

https://herpackinglist.com/how-to-pa...-packing-list/ (16L + purse)
    https://herpackinglist.com/how-to-tr...personal-item/ (personal item only)
    https://herpackinglist.com/ultralight-packing-list/ (12L handbag)

may it inspire her

BTW, for my one month trip in South-East Asia, I planed/estimated a S25 arround 6.6kg including : frame and padded hip belt + A5 notepad & guide book! (mirrorless camera will be in my purse as personal item, so I don't count it)
    So either cut on them or bring a lighter bag should make 5kg doable
    Last edited by Rei; 09-11-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Debru. Will your daughter be wearing/taking a jacket on the plane? My jacket for the plane always has a pocket with toiletries in the 1 quart bag. Toiletries take up so much weight! It's easy to pull out of the jacket for passing security, instead of fiddling with the Aeronaut.

then I put the whole bag inside end pocket when sitting at the gate

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Scottee clothing. I love my vest and there are a variety of other options...
    https://www.scottevest.com/
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If her S25 is halcyon I'd 100% switch to that. The BB is almost a full pound heavier. Otherwise, I agree with comparing the weight of the items she's taking and then evaluating them.

Alberta, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that backpacks that donít look full are rarely weighed, especially if you check in online before getting to the airport. They assume it will be able to fit into tighter spaces in the overhead bins.

That having been said, I would probably try to fit everything in the smaller S25. It will help limit what she can pack which will help cut down on the weight.
    Also consider packing one of those tiny packable shopping bags to use as a just in case personal item in the event of the bag getting gate checked if it is weighed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    For packing ideas, I like One Bag. https://www.onebag.com

The other thing that might be helpful is to share your daughters packing list her. You would likely get several helpful suggestions. elisa

Forum Member
    Conifer, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use only my S19 for longer trips or if I need a laptop, I will also carry my Daylight Briefcase. I think one of the tricks is to have only a single pair of shoes that will do everything.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, Daylight Briefcase, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5kg is a really tough mark to hit. In ultralight (backcountry, self-supported) backpacking circles, that's the gold standard for a super ultra light pack and it requires a lot of sacrifice / gram-cutting.

I haven't weighed my S19 when I take trips with it but I can guarantee with a camera, a few lenses, and my clothes that I'm much closer to 7kg than 5kg. I once had to trim down my Pilot to 7kg (15lbs for Americans) and with a 6lb/2.7kg laptop and charger it was real tough.

If your daughter is committed to onebag at 5kg, it takes drastic measures.

Electronics should be the first to go. They are heavy and require chargers. A larger phone obviates the need to carry a tablet. A high-end phone camera can take the place of a dedicated camera. A pair of headphones can be replaced with a pair of earbuds. Finally, many modern USB charging bricks are capable of 110V-220V and 50-60Hz which means all you need is a tiny prong adapter instead of a full-sized travel power adapter.

The second to go should be bulky clothing. It's totally possible to travel stylish and light, but it requires careful consideration of layers and clothing pairings and if warmth is needed, should be top-quality ultra-light down such as Patagonia and Mont-Bell. Nobody will notice or care if you wear the same outfit many times, just air them out and wash as frequently as you are able.

Third, liquids. Most people overpack these. The maximum carry-on liquid size is 100mL or 3.4oz. That's more than most people can use in a two or three-week trip. I repack all my liquids into 0.5oz/15mL, 1oz/30mL, and 2oz/60mL containers. My 3DOC travels about half-full or less, with room for a travel toothbrush and a handful of pills. When I travel with my SO we share a 3DOC!

Fourth, ditch organizer pouches. Organizer pouches encourage "just one more thing." Carry all your small items in just ONE organizer pouch. Pens, pocket notebook, chapstick, phone cable, wall wart, pack of tissues, deck of cards, they can all fit in one pouch.
    Last edited by carrot; 09-12-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Brain Bag, and itís my usual travel bag. I plan on 7-10 kg, and my bag hasnít been weighed in years.

But if I were aiming for 5 kg, I wouldnít use it. The bag alone uses more than a quarter of the allowance. An S25 is half a kg lighter, and you can get a 20 L ultralight daypack that weighs less than 100g.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    many modern USB charging bricks are capable of 110V-220V and 50-60Hz which means all you need is a tiny prong adapter instead of a full-sized travel power adapter.
    Skip buying an overseas adapter for your USB box and and just buy a native USB box over there, probably cheaper too. The plane will certainly have a USB plug for keeping topped off in-transit, just need a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Third, liquids. Most people overpack these.
    Indeed. For a longer trip, just buy travel-size at the destination, makes for an interesting trip. For the first 2 or 3 days, a Clear Pouch with a few contact cases full of necessities is more than enough.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok we are down to 6.2 lbs with a possible solution...
    An under filled Brain bag with a small Yeoman duffle as a packing cube, TSA locked filled with approximately 2 kg of stuff. It can be pulled out of the back compartment and checked if her bag gets weighed.

Wearing:
    Jeans
    Merino T-shirt
    Chambray button down
    Scott eVest (thanks @Grandcache!)
    Compression socks
    North face fleece jacket
    Trainers

Packed:
    iPhone and battery pack plus wallet in a TC, charging cord, adapter (might lose this if we edit more)
    Meds
    Extremely minimal toiletries (for a 20 year old with sensitive skin) in a 311 bag
    Travel towel and turtl pillow
    Travel sized Hairbrush

Jeggings
    Merino joggers
    4 short sleeve merino or technical t shirts
    Long sleeve merino shirt
    6 pairs undies
    Bra
    6 pairs socks
    Dressy merino cardigan
    Scarf
    Vans

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Ok we are down to 6.2 lbs with a possible solution...
    An under filled Brain bag with a small Yeoman duffle as a packing cube, TSA locked filled with approximately 2 kg of stuff. It can be pulled out of the back compartment and checked if her bag gets weighed.
    Just putting it out there... as nice as the Yeoman duffel is itís 1lb 2oz or 0.5kg... as a just-in-case item thatís almost 20% of your total packed weight of 6.2lbs...

Much less durable but also much less heavy (and still very well made) are the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil duffel or day pack. Sub 3oz. But you wonít need it.

The packing list at 6.2lbs/2.8kg well light enough for the 11lbs/2.8kg limit. Just donít overdo it on souvenirs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast