Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What color is this Smart Alec?

I picked up a used Smart Alec, and I am wondering what color it is. Iím afraid the pictures arenít a great representation, but is this Nordic, or was it perhaps made in another shade of blue?

And I was also curious as to what year TB turned the zippers so the aquaguard was on the inside?

What color is this Smart Alec?-72a94d47-4d9c-41a6-9a2a-1531830bb326-jpegWhat color is this Smart Alec?-acbbdb9c-f964-46fe-a14f-5dd74b2d07ca-jpegWhat color is this Smart Alec?-a9c25e70-a83e-4b37-852f-45ccae0cf170-jpeg

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell from your photos on my laptop, but if that is a dark/deep blue, it should be the original Nordic with white grid lines. The current Nordic has dark grey grid lines and is a bit different blue.

If it's more of a charcoal/dusty black colour, then it's Steel (not sure if the SA was made in Steel dynema/halcyon though). The current 'Original' 400d halcyon is a true black with white grid lines... Steel is like a dark grey/charcol with white grid lines. The current Black is with grey grid lines.

To the best of my knowledge, those were the only 400d dynema/halcyon fabrics - @Moriond would know more.

ETA: @pammy recently posted pics of her original (white grid) Nordic Smart Alec...she had nice lighting and I think it shows the colour pretty well

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post179859
    Last edited by G42; 09-12-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What color is this Smart Alec?

Looks like original nordic which was a darker and more royal blue, with white grid lines. Nice looking bag, looks like you scored a deal, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @G42 and @melminimalist. It’s more of a dark/deep blue, so it’s probably original nordic then, although it is not as vibrant a blue as the one in @pammy’s post. Maybe it looks like that in sunlight - I won’t know until tomorrow.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others that the color of your Smart Alec is original Nordic dyneema (halcyon). I think itís the lighting that makes it look so dark. Here is a picture of packing cube shoulder bags together in original black, steel, and original Nordic 400d dyneema so you can compare the colors.

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...bp-nordic.html

What color is this Smart Alec?-dyneema-pcsb-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is in the sunlight. Looks like the other photos of Original Nordic. Thanks again.

What color is this Smart Alec?-img_3515-jpg

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahs View Post
    Here it is in the sunlight. Looks like the other photos of Original Nordic.
    Wow, such a difference with the sunlight! I could have sworn it was steel from the reference photo!

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Wow, such a difference with the sunlight! I could have sworn it was steel from the reference photo!
    I agree. Honestly, even though the first photos were less than ideal, the color was not that far off how I perceived it last night. The sunlight changes it much more than I expected.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lovely bag!
    I have the new Black (dark grid) Smart Alec, but have my eyes peeled for one of those original Nordic ones... there was one on eBay recently but it was bid up very high.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahs View Post
    Here it is in the sunlight. Looks like the other photos of Original Nordic. Thanks again.
    Glad your mystery is solved. Lighting makes all the difference in how colors appear. I love my original Nordic Smart Alec. Itís my favorite and most used TB backpack. Enjoy your new SA.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot