Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket

Very curious about this one. Only 1 photo on TB website. Anyone has this? Can post some photos? Front, back, any attachment points? It weighs 11.8oz/335g, that's not light. Why?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the product description for the actual Guide's Pack - there's more info there.

Basically, the Lead's Pocket is an 'amped-up' version of the Side Pocket... it has a bit more built in organization than a Side Pocket, zips open more clamshell, etc.
    It costs more and weighs more than a Side Pocket because there's more organization. Backpackers care about ounces, which is why there is an option of whether to buy (if you want/need space) and which one to buy.
    TB recommends if you use either pocket, that you get one (of any type) for each side of the main bag to stay balanced.

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the back looks like the Side Pockets? With the zip based on description?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    So the back looks like the Side Pockets? With the zip based on description?
    Yes, that's right.

If you google around, there are a bunch of different reviews showing some different pictures and there are some old threads exploring alternate uses for the Lead's Pocket
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ds-pocket.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want one now, cos it's Olive and looks useful. Though I have no idea what I'd use it for. The Guide's Pack, Leads PocketThe Guide's Pack, Leads PocketThe Guide's Pack, Leads PocketThe Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Leadís Pocket is padded, so itís more rigid than, say the Side Effect,as well as being longer. @Trailhiker was a fan of the Leadís Pocket (as well as of the Guideís Pack), and posted pictures of this, both in a thread titled Leadís Pocket Comparison Photos and in his Photo Essay - Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) thread (where itís only shown packed).

Itís possible to attach it to the inside of older Brain Bags and Smart Alecís that have the webbing strip with Annex clips inside (for carrying Brain Cells) before the addition of rail loops. (For the SA, the easy way is the use Single Gatekeeper clips). And I recall @tpnl also considered ways to carry it at the front off the SA.

The inside has Coyote webbing for securing items (like knives and multitools), and although the elastic webbing at the hinged opening is slightly wider than for the First or Second Aid Pouches, you could add one of the first or Second Aid leaf pouchkins to it.

I was also asked whether it was possible to attach it to the bottom of the Guideís Edition Synapse 25, and though I did hack a way to do this, I wouldnít use this myself in practice, because the webbing loop placement on the Leadís Pocket isnít well matched to the spacing of the GE S25 attachment points at the bottom.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the comments above I took some pictures:

Here the inner organization of the Leads Pocket: The webbing straps are great to attach things with a belt clip such as flashlights or multitools. In addition there are four elastic straps in the middle which I use for my swiss army knife and a pencil. On the left you have two mesh pockets that are closed with a joint zipper. On the right there is one large zipper pocket which is great for maps (I still use them when hiking!) smartphone, etc. And of course there are a couple of O-rings. Both sides of the Leads Pockst are padded.

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket-leads_pocket-1-jpg

The plain side pocket is much simpler in design: The zipper opens only at the top and while the back of the bag is padded, the front is not. There is no inner organization (except for an O-ring of course).

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket-leads_pocket-2-jpg

I mainly use the plain side pocket for my water bottles (here two 0,75 l Sigg aluminium bottles).

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket-leads_pocket-3-jpg

On the back both pockets have a large zippered compartment for rather flat things such as a wallet. For size comparison I use a large Snake Charmer here.

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket-leads_pocket-5-jpg

The Leads Pocket is certainly a very well made organizational bag (here in comparison with a Side Effect) which is also great to use on its own but is incredibly useful when hiking with the Guide's Pack.

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket-leads_pocket-4-jpg
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the Right or Left Pocket? Sounds like a silly question but I'm not sure which orientation the bag should be.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Leads Pocket can be used on both sides. I use it as my left pocket.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Guide's Pack, Leads Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    Is this the Right or Left Pocket? Sounds like a silly question but I'm not sure which orientation the bag should be.

@panda2mama,

Probably the best discussion about Pocket selection for the Guideís Pack is here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ce-please.html

A new user @Skips asked for advice about configuring his Guideís Pack, including the possibility of getting two Leadís Pockets. See, in particular, @MatthewR Ďs reply at the end. Usually, youíll want one Pocket to be able to hold a water bottle. There are also a couple of pictures from the Loaded Pocketz review of the Guideís Pack in that thread so you can see comparison of Pockets with different usage. This was also covered in @bartlebyís earlier reply, but the focus of this thread perhaps more directly answers your question
    Last edited by moriond; 09-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.