Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Banned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are shoulder bags for men really a thing now?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here!

I've been seeing this shoulder bags for men nowadays. I got so fascinated that I even ordered one online. Before I got my hands on it, what are your take on shoulder bags for men?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently in Berlin and it is definitely a thing here, you see guys with small messenger bags everywhere.

Personally I like a backpack for larger loads, but otherwise use my Co-Pilot. Not really sure that I would wear a Side Effect or Side Kick as these look much more purse-like.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Artdime; 09-17-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the UK and a lot of younger guys are using smallish cross body bags, like the small or medium cafe bag. Older guys seem to go for briefcase style bags. Everybody uses backpacks.

I wonder whether mobile phones have got so big now that they don't fit in anyone's pockets, hence the recent increase in man-bag sightings.

Tom Bihn designs are all unisex and look fine on anyone regardless of gender, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the same thing at first with regards to the sidekick..... Until i bought one for my wife. She never got it though I literally use it as my edc and love it Iím a bigger guy and get complimented constantly on it. Iím also ridiculously confident and dgaf what people think Are shoulder bags for men really a thing now?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the color of the bag is what makes the bag gender specific for Tom Bihn bags. I agree they are pretty gender neutral.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think messenger bags and briefcase type bags have been a thing for men for quite a while. It's okay to branch out

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we went to Germany last year, I talked my husband into using one of my Sidekicks as a day bag, since we were touring and needed to carry a bit more stuff than we do normally carry. He was fine with it, and it didn't look like a purse on him.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsage View Post
    I think the color of the bag is what makes the bag gender specific for Tom Bihn bags. I agree they are pretty gender neutral.
    yes!
    I would say more, I find them girly enough and manly enough in the same time (pop or neutral colors and clean/simple lines)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Japan a couple of years ago and was surprised to see men sporting what I would consider to be a purse, like a hobo bag or leather shoulder bag, not a messenger or cross-body bag. My first thought was the guy was carrying his female companionís purse, but seeing that she had her own, I realized that it was his bag. During the 16 days we were in Japan, I saw males sporting purse-like bags frequently but mostly in large cities like Tokyo and Kyoto. I figured it was a trend I wasnít aware of, because where I live, I hadnít seen any males carrying what I think of as a purse.

Now TB bags such as Cafť bags, Side Kick, Side Effect, Travel Cubelet, and the like, I do not consider to be purse-like bags. To me, they are gender-neutral. And with the return of fanny packs, pretty much nothing surprises me anymore. So if guys want to carry shoulder bags, I say go for it.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve worn a shoulder bag since I was in junior high, 1968. I’ve had canvas, hipster tie-dye, hacked leather, elegant leather, nylon, furry, ballistic, large, small, silly, and utilitarian. Current bag is the small Cafť, sometime sthe medium Cafť.

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Man Bag. The Man Purse. The All Purpose Carry. Whatever you call them, I love them.

Someone mentioned earlier about our larger phones needing to be carried around. True. But there is so much that needs to be carried some days that a bag of some kind is essential.

Sure, wallets have gotten smaller and, to an extent, have disappeared (thanks Apple Wallet and whatever Google has now). But we are carrying around more tech with us than ever before and, letís be honest, bulging (why does that spelling look funny?) pockets are annoying.

I wear a bag (small, medium, large cafe bags) and Iíd be hard pressed to leave the house without it. Itís become part of who I am.

By the way, my wife loves when we are out and I have my bag because then she throws her stuff inside it too Are shoulder bags for men really a thing now?

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh. Gender is a social construct. The more we ignore arbitrary boundaries, the more we welcome an era of equality!

Shoulder bags for all!!!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others, I have carried a bag (mostly a shoulder bag like my beloved, dead Imago) for nearly all my adult life, which is a long time. It has been a “thing “ since the 60’s. I think men should worry less about being men, and more about being good people. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, after a year I still feel naked without my Imago, though a SCB has helped.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Travel Cubelet as my everyday bag, with phone, small Mosleskine notebook, glasses, pen, earbuds and other small items. I use a Daylight Briefcase as my personal flight nag an day bag when traveling. Backpacks are less secure in urban settings and always in the way on crowded mass transit. I was carrying a small backpack on one strap most of the time and decided that I might as well have a crossbody bag.

I've been a photographer for 45 years and the shoulder bag gender thing went out the door long ago. I remember watching a Pulitzer Prize winning press photographer working out of a military style shoulder bag and was impressed at how "under the radar" it was. Nothing said "cameras" at all.

I find most small messenger bags are too stiff and flop at my side. The Daylight Briefcase in Halcyon is flexible and wraps my side better. The zipper closures are more secure and definitely better for under seat storage where a flap style bag can let stuff get away.

Volunteer Moderator Forum Moderator Crew's Avatar
    TOM BIHN Forums Land
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone!

Just a quick FYI that we found out that the OP registered to post links to other sites selling stuff so they were banned, but the original post sparked an interesting conversation so we're leaving that one up.

Thanks for your time! FMK
    We're here to post friendly reminders of the TOM BIHN Forums Rules and Guidelines.