Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing cube for Daylight Briefcase?

Short version: Which packing cube would hold 2x shirts, 2x underwear, 2x socks and still fit inside a comfortably full DLBC? If that's impossible, how about just 1x shirt/undies/socks?

Long version: Hello all! I'm a VERY happy relatively new owner of a Daylight Briefcase. I'm doing weekly overnight plane trips for work and it's enough to fit the everyday work basics (laptop and/or iPad, charger + cables + adaptors, notebook, pens, a paperback), along with toiletries and a change of clothes. So good to have a professional-looking (in my industry at least), super light, no-space-wasted bag that I can just shove under a plane seat and not worry about. I swear the fully packed DLBC is lighter than the empty leather briefcase I was using before.

At the moment I'm just shoving my extra shirt, socks & jocks into the main compartment, which is honestly fine. However, despite previously thinking I would never get bags for my bags, my ghost whale on an o-ring is making me irrationally happy and I want more… and I think an organiser cube would make it so I could fit an extra change of clothes, turning this into some kind of ür-bag. (Currently if I go for >1 night I use my trusty Synapse 25 which I love but is a bit too much for an overnight trip).

HOWEVER, it's a bit of a tight fit as-is. I might be pushing my luck with the whole 2 shirts thing. If that's a fool's errand I'll accept it, it's DEFINITELY not meant to be a travel bag in that sense. But it's hard to get a sense of which cube would fit in the briefcase at all, let alone one that's already comfortably full day-to-day. The listing page mentions the 3D organiser cube, but it's hard to get an eye for how it'd fit alongside everything else, or whether it would fit a change of clothes.

I've attached a gratuitous packing photo (excuse the terrible lighting).

Packing cube for Daylight Briefcase?-unlabeled-jpegPacking cube for Daylight Briefcase?-labels-jpeg

The usual suspects are on top of the bag. The extras that I want cubed are to the left. I forgot to take a packed photo, but while it's fairly snug when everything's in there, it's not bulging or overly cramped. I've been able to cram a puffer jacket in there as well, in a pinch.

Anyway I'm rambling now - any ideas? Thanks all!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a small laundry packing cube? Those tend to be flatter. And its 12x6 size should fit into the dlbc’s 14x10 dimensions. You could even use half for the toiltry bag and shove the clothes in the other half, making everything as flat as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want to spend a lot of money without knowing for sure that a TB packing cube investment would be a worthwhile expense for me. Because of this I recently bought a set of Eagle Creek packing cubes to check for myself the packing cube concept and I like it!
    So then I started researching TB packing cubes. The TB Tri-Star small packing cube might be the perfect size for your 2 shirts and other clothes.

Bag
    in bag
    in bag
    for the world!
    Last edited by xyppy; 09-23-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    "Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it." -- Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale"

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by no_signal View Post

Anyway I'm rambling now - any ideas? Thanks all!
    I did a quick packout of some stuff I had lying around...

-Violet A45 End packing cube - two women's XL long sleeve dress shirts; two undies; two prs wool socks; 1 bra
    The cube is not completely stuffed
    -HP Pavillion 13" laptop - no case or cache (I know from previous experience that this just fits in the DLBC)
    -Moleskin hardback notebook
    -Kindle in zip case
    -Transmont battery
    -Small Ghost Whale pouch with random tools, pen, pencil, etc.
    -Warby Parker hard case for glasses

The DLBC is pretty full, but you could tuck other things in.

Packing cube for Daylight Briefcase?-img_20190924_120028-1-jpg

Packing cube for Daylight Briefcase?-img_20190924_120102-1-jpg

I put the laptop & cube in the main compartment along with the glasses. Moleskin in the pocket in the main compartment.
    Kindle in the outside pack pocket.
    Battery & Ghost Whale in the front split pocket.

Packing cube for Daylight Briefcase?-img_20190924_120153-1-jpg

If I were to actually do this for an overnight, I would only bring one shirt/undies/socks and use the extra space for a minimal toiletry kit.... and I would definitely bring the laptop cords.
    You could probably fit everything I showed plus some small toiletries, cords, and papers, but it depends on your specific stuff & sizes.... I also don't like it when the DLBC looks like a football. My DLBC is halcyon and to me that makes it easier fitting everything in (unless ballistic has had time to relax and soften up).

I like the A45 end pocket for this application as it lets you use more of the L x W of the DLBC whilst keeping the thickness in check... and seems to work well for the size of folded long sleeve shirts.
    If I were bringing short sleeve or more casual stuff, I might just use & underpack a small Laundry Cube as @melminimalist suggested.

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    So then I started researching TB packing cubes. The TB Tri-Star small packing cube might be the perfect size for your 2 shirts and other clothes.
    I agree that either the Tri-Star Small Packing Cube or the Aeronaut 30 End Packing Cube should work. If they still made the version of the Tri-Star Small Packing Cube that was all Aether, I would say that definitely was the size of choice, especially since the all fabric (no mesh) design made it easier to slip in. As it is, I don’t have the current mesh version of the small Tri-Star Packing Cube to try in comparison. If you’re planning on carrying this in the main Compartment of the DLBC, then the Tri-Star Cube will fit better to the length. If you’re putting the packing cube into the back zippered pocket of the DLBC (and, yes, I tried this with two shirts and a few other items), then I would still use the Tri-Star cubes if they were all fabric (either all Aether, or the earlier fabric versions that were all Halcyon — I have one in Solar Dyneema as well as the mesh versions). However, I’ve found mesh versions of the packing cubes don’t always work as well as the all fabric cubes when they’re repurposed pro other bags. So @bchaplin’s comment about the current Small Western Flyer Packing Cubes (Aether Mesh combination) seeming a bit large in the Co-Pilot main pocket (compared to all fabric Halcyon Small WF Packing Cubes I showed there) appears to be correct by my own tests, even though formal dimensions are the same. (I just made sure that I stocked up on the all fabric halcyon ones before they were discontinued).

The current A30 end cubes are all Aether fabric, so while their lengths do not extend longer to make use of the full length of the DLBC, and hence are not as nice for packing shirts, they will easily fit into the back zippered pocket, if that’s where you’re planning to stow things. The all-Aether Tri-Star cubes will adjust to the back pocket, but are slightly long; I’m not sure how the current mesh-Aether Tri-Star Small Packing Cubes behave.

Finally, if you happen to have any of the all-fabric Halcyon A30 end packing cubes from when the Aeronaut 30 first débuted, they fit very well into the main compartment of the DLBC. They’re About the same length as the Tri-Star small packing cubes, but taller, so they take up more of the vertical height of the main compartment, but are too tall to comfortably shift into the back zippered pocket of the DLBC. I know that @bartleby has lamented that they’re still not available for holding shoes in luggage bags.

HTH, and sorry to include information on packing cube versions that are no longer sold — but the dimensions of my all Aether (Charcoal) Small Tri-Star Cube should be the same as the current mesh+Aether version.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @G42,

I was answering the original request with the assumption that the shirts, etc. were meant to be add-ones to what he’s carrying. I can pack two merino long-sleeved shirts and some socks, etc. In the Small Tri-Star cube and put it into the back zippered pocket while still carrying a laptop etc. In the Main pocket of the DLBC. I’d classify the A45 end packing cube as too large — the A30 end Cubes released at the time the A30 debuted are a better fit to the main compartment without over stuffing.

YMMV

moriond

ETA: if the packing cube goes into the outside zippered pocket, it does bulge outwards, but I think there’s more room to carry other items in the rest of the DLBC, including books and notebooks.
    Last edited by moriond; 09-24-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @G42,

I was answering the original request with the assumption that the shirts, etc. were meant to be add-ones to what he’s carrying. I can pack two merino long-sleeved shirts and some socks, etc. In the Small Tri-Star cube and put it into the back zippered pocket while still carrying a laptop etc. In the Main pocket of the DLBC. I’d classify the A45 end packing cube as too large — the A30 end Cubes released at the time the A30 debuted are a better fit to the main compartment without over stuffing.

YMMV

moriond

ETA: if the packing cube goes into the outside zippered pocket, it does bulge outwards, but I think there’s more room to carry other items in the rest of the DLBC, including books and notebooks.
    I was showing an alternative of what might fit, given the OP might consider downsizing the notebook, etc. and that others might find useful... and also using what cubes I happen to own. Smilie

I would normally use the main compartment for clothes to prevent major wrinkling along with the large flat things like the notebook & laptop... and to put small & 3D stuff in the outside pockets as needed.
    A lot depends on the actual size of the clothes in question and everyone has their own packing preference of course.

Totally agree that full fabric (no mesh) make the cubes easier to slide in and out.

ETA, the '@' tag doesn't flag me as I'm only using the Forums through a browser, no Tapatalk or whatever
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42, thanks SO much for the response, exactly what I was hoping for, super helpful! Your packed photo is what mine looks like with one night plus the puffer jacket, i.e. the outer limit of capacity. So it sounds like I might be dreaming to have 2 nights' worth of stuff including toiletries… but my best chance is with a packing cube.

Thanks also to everyone else! So I'm down to a A45 end cube, A45 laundry cube, or A30 laundry cube… honestly… I know this is sacrilege, but I think I might even just keep using the bag as a bag and stuffing things into it Embarrassment At least until my next trip to the US (which means I won't have to pay the international shipping fee!), and when I can order, I'll order the A45 end cube, thanks to @G42's excellent photos and description. I don't like it when it looks like a football either, but it's so occasional that the fact that it could work if it needed to is enough for me.

<3 to you forum members! Keep putting bags in your bags!!

And to anyone else - please let me know if you've found the perfect bag-bag that lets you magically turn the ideal minimalist EDC briefcase into somehow a TARDIS of a 2-night overnight travel bag! Big Grin