Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mrbaseball47,

I haven’t had any success getting my pharmacy to give me smaller bottles. If you can’t find older pill vials that are smaller, how about just ordering some from Amazon? Plastic Prescription Vials/Bottles 25 Pack w/Caps 8 Dram Size: Health & Personal Care

These look to be the size of the ones I am using in the Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch, and are of Pharmacy grade quality. Since the height is standard, if you, like me, get a printed description of your filled prescription, which includes a duplicate of the label that they put around each bottle (not sure why, unless the label info can get worn down if the bottles are carried a long time), you can simply transfer that label to the smaller bottle). Then you should be able to fit 5 of these into a Small Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch (at least, the mesh variety).

If you drop the requirement of holding your yogurt, then you have a lot more options. You haven’t said what model phone you have, or its size, but in practice I’d guess that it could make using a 3D Organizer Cube feel a bit tight. You could use a Travel Cubelet, which is about the same height as the Side Kick, but about 60% of its horizontal length, and nearly as deep. So you could clip the snaphook on the GWOP holding your meds to an O-ring in the Travel Cubelet, and slip your Phone into the inside pocket. This would also work with your current pill bottles — it’s just that they would take up most of the interior volume of the travel Cubelet. You’d have to stack two bottles vertically, and stack the other three on their side, one on top of the other.

The Travel Cubelet is vertically oriented, while the Side Effect is horizontally oriented. For larger phones, the TC will be easier to access your phone in the bag than with the Side Effect. In most of my other bags I find it easier to pack the Side Effect, but I think you might find the Travel Cubelet packs well into your Luminary 15.

I really like the Side Kick, and I would be comfortable carrying yogurt in it. I typically carry chargers (and cables), along with my Kindle, and a Host of other items, like presentation pointers, adapter/connectors for my laptop, keys, pens, etc. I don’t know how this works with your EDC laptop bag, though. If it were a Tom Bihn bag I could tell you where these various accessories would fit, but hopefully you can make that decision yourself.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    I do like the way that works but the problem is I take 2 pills at 9am, 2 at 12am, 1 at 5pm, and 1 at bedtime, all different pills and they all look very similar.
    Something like these might be a good solution: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bant...938/ref=sr_1_5

You can assign one colour to one pill and the bonus is they have keyrings on top which means you can attach them to something like a keystrap to help fish them out of your bag.
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond

I currently have a Google Pixel 2 but I plan to upgrade in the bear future but it will be of similar size.

Unfortunately my pharmacy doesn't print out extra duplicate labels but maybe I could request that? I'll have to check.

My work laptop bag is a Wegner Synergy backpack. I'm pretty confident that the side kick would fit in it. Does the side kick fit in the lower compartment of the s25? Does the side kick fit in the side pockets of the A30?

@RosemaryOrchard. Those are some nice looking containers but then I'd have to keep track of what pills are in which container so I don't think they would work for me. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mrbaseball,

Your Google Pixel 2 will fit into the Side Kick and also into the Travel Cubelet — basically, the same height that led me to say you could drop a Small Ghost Whale Mesh Organizer Pouch holding 5 pill bottles vertically into the bag and hook it onto an O-ring at the top will provide the height for your phone, and the width should match either the pockets you saw me use for my phone and wallet, or even wider ones on the opposite side, where there are no pen pockets.

You don’t need your pharmacy to print out adhesive stickers. I assume they give you some printed receipt with refill information that contains information on the medication, rather than handing you the actual pill vial and making you turn that around while trying to read the label before acknowledging your purchase has been filled, and that you have sufficient information. I was just going to cut or copy that information and tape it to the smaller vials, before I noticed that there was a folded over flap that also contained an abbreviated copy in the form of another printed adhesive label.

The Side Kick’s height constrains its ability to fit in other bags. I’ve seen @Cristina post a picture of her Side Kick in the bottom front zippered pocket of her Synapse 25. I’m guessing that this worked because she, like I, uses a (New) Black Halcyon Side Kick (and also a Halcyon S25 in that particular picture), and that fabric is more flexible than the 1050d and 525d Ballistic Nylon Side Kick.

Answering questions about what fits depends on what material you use, and also the contents of your bag. I’d answer that my Halcyon Side Kick can fit in my A30 end pockets, but it’s tall for it, so I’m using both the fact that the Halcyon is more flexible, and that the A30 end pockets have additional volume that can accommodate it. You’re going to have to ask more forum members to weigh in on this with their experience, and that may include how tightly you pack the end pockets (e.g., shoes etc.). I’m not likely to have similar packing constraints since I’m under 5’4”, wear small/petite size clothes, and my regular shoes can even fit into the side pockets of the Night Flight Travel Duffel, where nearly everyone has problems.

In the Synapse 25, I would not generally try to pack my Side Kick in the front zippered pocket, just as I don’t usually put a packing cube shoulder bag there. It will fit, but if it’s fully packed, it will bulge into the main compartment of the Synapse 25. The Side Kick has a similar height, but is deeper, and I carry enough in my Side Kick that it would be uncomfortable to pack there. However, if you’re only using the Side Kick for the items I showed in my post, then yes, I think you could put a Halcyon Side Kick into that pocket.

I generally put either a Snake Charmer or 3D Organizer cubes in that Synapse bottom pocket — these are all accessories that don’t extend to the maximum height. The issue is, that without that specified height, your Phone wouldn’t fit. If you really only care about the minimum bag size (pills, wallet, and phone), just get the Travel Cubelet— it isn’t quite as deep, but it will more easily fit everywhere. And you can always turn it on its side, so you definitely can go everywhere. I only spec’d the Side Kick in my reply because I included your request of also carrying yogurt in the bag, and had taken pictures before I read your later comments about not necessarily needing to carry the yogurt.

HTH, and maybe others who carry big phones in their Side Kicks, or use the Ballistic Nylon versions with their A30s and Synapses can comment. I did see that @Cristina showed the Travel Cubelet would fit in the Side Pockets of the redesigned (post March 2019) S25/Synik 30.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    This was just delivered today so I plan to check it out when. I get home. I'm still trying to decide between the side effect and side kick. I'm thinking the side effect would work if I'm just carrying one days medicine in that container but for only $10 more I can get the side kick which opens up possiblities. I would get the nebulous grey/island version. I just want confirmation that it would fit in the front bottom pocket of the s25. I may just call TB and ask.
    Bigs: S25 | A30 | PILOT | SA | L15
    Littles: SC | 3DOC | TC | PP | N4 | WFPC

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a full Nebulous/Island SK in the front bottom pocket of a Nordic/NWS S25. It’s a snug fit, but I was able to get it in and out without struggling with it. It doesn’t seem to intrude into the main compartment.
    Which bag to choose?-3b51e38b-c78c-40d1-a1c9-774c59003c96-jpeg
    Last edited by moriond; 10-21-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    @moriond
    Does the side kick fit in the lower compartment of the s25? Does the side kick fit in the side pockets of the
    Hi @mrbaseball47,

Just trying to provide closure on this thread. Here are some forum pictures for the Side Kick in the A30 side pockets:
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Here you go... Cloud SK in a Navy/NWSky A30... The SK fits fine, but if it and the A30 were jammed packed, there would need to be some wiggling...my A30 is brand new so the ballistic is still very stiff... it will be an even easier fit once it all loosens up

(In quoted posts you can click or tap on the arrow at the top right to view the parent thread; this one by @G42 is at the end of the debut day thread for the Side Kick, so there’s a lot of information laid out or this accessory as a completely new product, with comparisons with other accessories)

There’s also the Side Kick with Aeronaut 30? thread, with a lot of pictures and discussion. See the details of @anna2222’s post, which shows the Side Kick both inside and outside the end pocket, and comments that it is easier to zip close if placed in the center.

HTH

moriond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2