Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling Synik 22 owners!

Can you post here what youíve managed to fit in your Synik as your one bag to take on airplanes? And how? (Which packing cubes, organizational strategies, etc)

Photos would be so awesome...
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the Eagle Creek Specter Compression cube is a great choice for the main compartment. It tucks into the clothing straps nicely and still leaves space for narrow things like a water bottle or umbrella.

Calling Synik 22 owners!-0165d049-5f74-486a-bd9d-a7e567c56fce-jpeg
    Last edited by carrot; 10-16-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the phone last night so I had to be brief. Here's details:

In the bottom I have a pair of sturdy flip flops (Chacos) in an Eagle Creek Specter Shoe Sac.

There are three button-down short-sleeved shirts, one synthetic sport shirt, one tank top, one pair of pants, and an oversized scarf (shemagh) in the EC Specter Large Compression Cube.

On the side is an EuroSchirm Light Trek umbrella (silver of course).

I packed my Bose QC35 headphones, Nintendo Switch, Kindle Paperwhite, and Sudoku book in the main compartment with the remainder of space. The headphones in their case was uncomfortably tight (but it did fit!) so I used a Medium Halcyon OP.

In the outer pockets I packed a Topo Designs Large Accessory Pouch (I really like these because they're lined inside with bright packcloth; side note @Darcy I'd love some Halcyon-lined options from TB), which contained an AC adapter, USB battery, a handful of cables, some pills, a few pens, and a pocket notebook (Field Notes). That fit well in the side pocket.

The other side pocket contained my camera, Olympus OM-D E-M10iii with a Panasonic 20mm/ƒ1.7 pancake lens.

The bottle pocket had a little telephoto and a fisheye (Oly 40-150mm/ƒ4.0-5.6, Samyang 7.5mm/ƒ3.5).

The chin pocket had some hiking supplies: two rolled up 2L Platypus bags, a headlamp, compass, etc.

It's a lot, and it's actually more than I'd have carried for a typical longer trip. But I'd just gotten the SN22 and I wanted to try it out at its fullest.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrot, that's exactly what I was hoping to see! THANK YOU. You are all kinds of awesome.

Here's why I posted: I couldn't decide between the Synik 22 and the Synik 30. I can't afford both, but I ordered both (blue parapack for the 22, black halcyon for the 30, assuming I would return one.

I LOVE the parapack.

But the 22 seems so .... tiny. I have a Synapse 25 (Nordic Halcyon) that I really like, and has plenty of space, but the lack of clamshell opening has always annoyed me. I pack so much better when I have a clamshell.

So I like the 30, but it seems ENORMOUS! I have a terrible habit of filling up however much space I'm given, which could be dangerous on some of these flights where they make you check your backpack if it doesn't fit under the seat...And while I love my Nordic Halcyon, I'm honestly not wild about black Halcyon. So that makes me wonder if I should return both and order a blue parapack 30.

But do I NEED a 30?

What I really want is a Nordic Halcyon Synik 25. Which doesn't exist.

I need to decide which one (or both?) to return before my 3-week work trip next week...

I'm pretty sure your post convinces me that the 22 is not as tiny as it looks.

Today is actually the first day I actually have time to play with packing, so I'm about to see what I can fit into it...
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of people have posted in the Wish List thread for a hypothetical Synik 26 that would be 18ish inches tall, which would make sure it fits under an airplane seat; sounds like you could be another vote.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x3n0n, I would TOTALLY be another vote.

Because OOPS.

I just found that my iPad won't fit in the 22.

How did I miss that?

Boy, do I feel stupid...

Looks like I'm returning the [gorgeous] 22...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a two bag traveller, so this is a little hard for me to comment on, but it would be doable for short trips! Sadly this weekend's trip was an absolute no go for Synik 22 only - the kit I'm taking for a conference would take up most of it by itself, leaving no space for clothes or tech.

For overnight trips I've managed to pack it with room to spare though, it all depends on what you need. I usually have an iPad Pro (11"), MacBook Air, charger, AirPods, a packing cube with clothes for the next day and something to wear in bed. A little bag with toiletries in, my electric toothbrush (Sonicare), maybe my Nintendo Switch. Next time I pack Synik 22L only I'll have to take pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Cafť Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DON’T HAVE TO RETURN THE 22!!!! I ordered an ever-so-slightly smaller iPad keyboard cover, and it just BARELY fits!!! (Please please please please let it not be a problem when the backpack is full....)

So glad I waited to try a new cover and didn’t return it!

In case anyone is wondering, it would have fit just fine with Apple’s keyboard folio, only I really didn’t want to pay 5 times as much for it, when it’s actually a lot less protection than the after-market versions.

Forum Member
    Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Izzy if you post a packing list of what you fit inside that would be great! I feel so many people here use it for daily carry and it's difficult to find a travel-oriented packing list (yet).

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n2 View Post
    Izzy if you post a packing list of what you fit inside that would be great! I feel so many people here use it for daily carry and it's difficult to find a travel-oriented packing list (yet).
    Iíve just posted a packing list over in the packing lists sub forum!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello fellow Synik owners!

Forgive me in advance if I fumble through my very first post!

Back story, I have always LOVED backpacks, and have owned an obscene amount over the years, whether it was for school, or work..purses were never my thing, and on rare going out occasions, I even had Ďdressierí versions of a backpack..micro, mini, you name it, I carried it! Fast forward to now, itís been awhile since Iíve traveled (airplane-wise) so I havenít kept up with the new airline luggage size regulations until recently when I booked a United flight bound for Hawaii. Since I have a bad habit of over packing, my plan was bringing a carry on (Osprey Porter 30L) + personal item...until I stumbled on TB, watched and read everything I could find about the brand and the rest is history!

My Synik 22: Black 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon just came today! I have been test packing between Porter and Synik, and managed to get everything I will need into just ONE bag! Pleasantly surprised just how much Synik can handle! Here is my packing list below for a 7 day vacation in Oahu:

A) Clothes (1 large 13.75Ēx12.75Ē dual sided compression packing cube)
    3 tanks
    2 tees
    2 dresses
    4 shorts
    1 swim suit
    3 pairs of socks
    Under garments 4 tops/7 bottoms
    Minimalist Barefoot trail running shoes/shoe bag
    Packable rain jacket
    Reversible bucket hat

B) Toiletries (3-1-1 bag)
    Shampoo
    Lotion
    Face/skin cleanser
    Toner
    Moisturizer
    2 Essence oils
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash

First aid pouch
    Travel mini flat iron
    Make up pouch
    Vitamins/supplements pouch
    Snacks pouch
    Eye glasses
    Water bottle
    Tissue
    Facial wipes
    Deodorant
    Wallet
    Keys
    Notebook/pen/pencil
    Laundry detergent sheets

C) Electronics
    iPhone
    iPad/charger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJLO View Post
    Hello fellow Synik owners!

Welcome to the Forums @MJLO, your first post is just fine, nice packing list! Be sure to let us know how it works out for your trip
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJLO View Post
    AND you got a photo in the post! Bravo!