Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makers Bag or Synik 22 for hot climate day bag

Looking for some advice from the forum.

Off to Thailand for a 9 day relaxing break. No major siteseeing or trips planned. But I do want a smallish bag for general day to day use (camera, water bottle, kindle etc) and on the plane.

My options are:
    Burnt Orange Makers Bag
    Navy Parapack Synik 22

Assuming that the volume difference doesnít have any major plus or minus for me, what would you choose?

Worried the Synik would mean a sweaty back each time I use it. But it is very functional.

Last time I took an old style Ristretto 11 which worked well but was just a little small. So the over the shoulder option could work well but not quite so hands free.

Any thoughts readers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I would do the Makers Bag to prevent the sweaty back and because you'll be able to access things more frequently instead of having to pull the backpack around to the front. I'm very much a backpack fan but that feeling of it stuck up against your back in the heat is really unpleasant.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goblin View Post
    If it were me I would do the Makers Bag to prevent the sweaty back and because you'll be able to access things more frequently instead of having to pull the backpack around to the front. I'm very much a backpack fan but that feeling of it stuck up against your back in the heat is really unpleasant.
    Thanks. Iíve not used a backpack in hot climates except when hiking. Hoping to stay as unflustered as possible by staying cool so the makers bag might help with that.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Black Halcyon/Island MB was my day bag during my (first!) trip to Europe this summer and it is now my favorite go-to bag! I clipped a TC inside to keep my wallet & phone secured, a water bottle, and a Kindle. With a Mini OpTech strap, it never felt heavy, even when I stuffed it full of souvenirs.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    My Black Halcyon/Island MB was my day bag during my (first!) trip to Europe this summer and it is now my favorite go-to bag! I clipped a TC inside to keep my wallet & phone secured, a water bottle, and a Kindle. With a Mini OpTech strap, it never felt heavy, even when I stuffed it full of souvenirs.
    Thanks for sharing. I do think this is the option Iím favouring at the moment.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for the MB...I also have the black halcyon/island version and I love it! My S25 got too hot on my back for EDC so I went messenger bag style
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Go for the MB...I also have the black halcyon/island version and I love it! My S25 got too hot on my back for EDC so I went messenger bag style
    Thanks for confirming about the S25. This is my fear so messenger seems the best way to go.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Maker's Bag would be my choice. It is more secure than a backpack when walking in crowds and makes a great "personal" bag while flying. I am also a "onebag" traveler with a backpack or a convertible bag as my main bag and a cross-body style like the Maker's Bag can be worn while also wearing the backpack and both hand are free. The cross-body has everything I need right at hand, so my boarding pass and passport, phone, power bank, book, tablet, camera, snacks, water bottle, etc are all right there. Walking down the plane aisle with the big pack on my back and trying to hand carry another small backpack was clumsy as well.

I found that a backpack as a day bag ended up on one shoulder half the time anyway. Crowd security, getting in and out of cabs, buses, standing in crowded subways, etc found me taking the backpack off or slinging it on one shoulder. A cross-body just swivels to the best position.

My actual preference is a Daylight Briefcase as it is a bit smaller and still has the dedicated laptop sleeve (Cache) as an option and enough pockets to organize everything well. It will carry as much as I want to have slung across my body for hours on end. I like being able to zip it all closed, especially when stowed under the seat.

I had a Maker's Bag and you don't want to fill it full and then go for an all-day jaunt. It does give more room for a fleece or raincoat though. A Packing Cube Backpack can handle day hikes if you need to fill that niche and still have the cross-body bag as your main day bag.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally also just back from 9 day relaxing break in Thailand, so fully understand need and can also recommend to avoid a rucksack bag as so hot and humid.

Personally I used a Side Kick for going out and about, either as shoulder bag or with waist-strap. I wasn’t carrying so much - wallet, sunglasses, phone, sun cream, small bottle of water. I was getting through so much water that I often carried it separately or bought more as I needed it - depending where I was. I also find the Side Kick a practical size for the bits and pieces I want access to on the flights.

Interested though to hear the feedback about the Maker’s Bag.

For carrying a bit more, such as on to beach, a Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag was also used. As normal my Aeronaut 45 was my main bag for this trip.