Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute Strap Design for Backpack Straps

I recently acquired an absolute strap. I was skeptical if it could really be that good. I used it and a simple strap on a heavy yeoman. I walked around briefly and the difference is significant. I am now a believer.

I searched the forum and did not find anywhere this question has been asked: Why aren't absolute straps made for backpack straps?

The absolute strap is unique and the gold standard. All the new synik and luminary straps are better, but still various versions of foam wrapped by fabric. Why not skip to the best design?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two cents: There's a significant amount of stretch that happens in the Absolute strap and it is often therefor bouncy when you walk - that's not normally something you want in backpack straps. They should be supportive and cushy enough to help spread the load, without compromising stability in movement.
    This may not be as big a deal if one carries very light loads and/or always carries only on one shoulder though... maybe a sling style could work with it.
    YMMV
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    My two cents: There's a significant amount of stretch that happens in the Absolute strap and it is often therefor bouncy when you walk - that's not normally something you want in backpack straps. They should be supportive and cushy enough to help spread the load, without compromising stability in movement.
    This may not be as big a deal if one carries very light loads and/or always carries only on one shoulder though... maybe a sling style could work with it.
    YMMV
    That makes a lot of sense. I didn't really think of the flex of the absolute strap and how that would be detrimental in backpack carry.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm no physical therapist, but I'd say with a shoulder strap the natural bounce in your walk and the resulting movement in your bag is either going to be primarily absorbed (stabilized) by the strap or your trapezius muscle ... the weight obviously still has to be moved by your hips/legs.

With a backpack, ultimately you'd like the bounce to be absorbed by your spine and back muscles, or - even better - by your hips and legs. With backpacks that have full-sized hip belts and adjustable frames, thus shifting all weight and bounce to your hip, the backpack straps carry little weight on your shoulders and are simply there to hold the bag to your body.

At least that's how it feels with the bags and carry I use!