Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?

I'm contemplating picking up a Maker's Bag in the near future - I love my DLBC, but with winter upon us I'd really like some extra room to stash a sweater/hat/gloves, and the MB's extra volume looks perfect for my needs.

I'd love to hear what people's preferred fabric is for the MB, especially given the impending phase-out of colorful 1050 ballistic. I had a Pilot in 1050, which was way too structured and heavy for my tastes (both in design and fabric), but am wondering (a) if 1050 is preferable in an unstructured bag like the MB, (b) how 1050 and 525 compare in terms of structure when it comes to the MB, and (c) if halcyon is REALLY too floppy, or if it works for you.

I'll probably be carrying an 10" tablet in a Cache, a 16oz water bottle, an A5 notebook, a book or e-reader, three Small Ghost Whale OP's worth of bits and pieces, and the aforementioned sweater, hat, and gloves. All of that fits in my DLBC, with the exception of the winter gear, so I think it should do nicely in the MB.

Thanks!
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my question would be if you want to your bag to stay upright when it's empty, or if it is okay if it falls over? I have a MB in 1050 and don't find the 1050 to be too structured or heavy because the MB is missing a lot of the things that create structure in the pilot (all the extra pockets, that middle zip section, etc). Conversely, I am not a fan of the A45 in ballistic - that I prefer in halcyon. I like my MB in ballistic because it stays upright when it's empty, and it doesn't look all bulgy when it's full the way a softer fabric would. I can't tell you how 1050 and 525 would compare, though I suspect they would be fairly similar and it might just come down to which color you like better (as in 1050 aubergine looks pretty different from 525 aubergine). If you want a bag that will kind of curve to your body when it's less full, then halcyon is going to be your better bet.

Did I just make this way more complicated? :-) I love my aubergine MB - it's my work EDC and it's the best. All my other bags are halcyon though. I like the flexibility in something smaller. :-)
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try to post some photos tomorrow of 525 & 1050 MB with similar loads.
    I think that they will behave in a similar way, but it will be an interesting experiment! Both stand up well when open and hold their shape.
    Sorry, no halcyon though to compare with.

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmakes View Post
    Well, my question would be if you want to your bag to stay upright when it's empty, or if it is okay if it falls over?
    While I love the back-within-back packability of halcyon, I think I would prefer my bag to stay upright if underpacked. Does the 1050 MB ever feel "boxy" when carried? I think I'm OK with it not hugging my body the way halcyon would, but when I carried a 1050 Pilot it felt like I was carrying a box on a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    I will try to post some photos tomorrow of 525 & 1050 MB with similar loads.
    This would be great! I'd love to see the comparative structure/stability of 525 and 1050. Thanks!
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came to the conclusion that there was very little difference between them really, except for the feel and look of the fabric.
    I used the same load in both - iPad in back zipped pocket (masses of room for more/bigger), iPhone & rigid glasses case + few pens etc in front zipped pocket, small water bottle inside one of the mesh side pockets, camera, small packing cube, sweater, scarf with lots of more room available.
    Both stood up well, when closed I used the keystrap to pinch the inside together hack to avoid too much splay/gap when the bag is clipped closed.
    Some photos below, but really I think it comes down to personal fabric preference.
    First photos show Nebulous Grey 525, followed by 1050 Black
    Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-525-ft-jpg

Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-525-open-jpg
    Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-525-open-ft-jpg
    Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-525-side-clipped-jpg

Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-1050-ft-clipped-jpg
    Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-1050-open-jpg
    Maker's Bag fabric comparisons: 1050, 525, or halcyon?-1050mb-ft-open-jpg

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    I came to the conclusion that there was very little difference between them really, except for the feel and look of the fabric.
    Thank you so much! Good to know I won't be sacrificing much in the way of structure and stability if I go for 525 over 1050. Thanks!