Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros and Cons of Halcyon Synik 30?

I was originally going to wait for the Guides Edition of the S30, but seeing a Halcyon version available got me to wondering if I would be happier with a halcyon version. In the A30, I did not like the halcyon, because it was too floppy, and didn't like the 1050 ballistic cuz it was too stiff. The 1050 is OK for the bigger A45, but I would probably prefer the now available 525. However, in a true backpack style bag, I can see an argument for the softer, slightly stretchier halcyon, and structural rigidity seems less important. On the con side, I remember seeing some reviews commenting the zippers were more difficult to use with the halcyon. Anyone use both? Comments? Thoughts?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one in ballistic but I do have a S25 in black halcyon. I have no problem with the zippers but I will say it's floppy/doesn't hold its shape if it's mostly empty. I'm 5'3 so the S25 looks weird on me if I don't pack it out. Particularly, that bottom pocket looks weird if nothing is in it. But I think you could fix that by filling out the outside pockets first if you're not carrying a lot. I use mine for one bag travel so mine is pretty much always full. I did just see a thread where people were commenting on getting white scuff marks on the 525 ballistic synapse, which has me worried because I just ordered the S22 in ballistic. I've had no issues with marks on the halycon.
    Last edited by lindsay; 11-11-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have added, one reason for me to consider halcyon was because I like the idea of the bag collapsing more when not fully packed out, but I understand the synapse and synik designs both pretty much do that anyway. May be overkill, especially if it winds up looking like a floppy mess. I noted there was less than a 3 oz difference in weight, so that's not much of a consideration.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Synik 30 in Black Halcyon/NWS. I love it, but I’m a complete fan of that fabric, and own a few other bags in it as well (A45, S19, and Pilot). I do have an S25 in Nebulous Grey 525/Island, and it’s a great fabric, but for me the Halcyon is just the best of both worlds. I do need to use two hands when unzipping but I personally prefer that. I’d rather they not be super easy, especially with the clamshell opening. Less room for them to come open on their own or other people being able to get into the bag without you knowing about it. That being said the more you use it the more the zippers loosen up. My Pilot is my most used bag and although it still takes two hands it’s easier to do. It may get even easier the more I use it. Time will tell.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will confirm the 525 marks as mentioned above. They seem to show more than on Halcyon for me but your mileage may vary. My son also uses a S252 in Halcyon at college and when he comes home periodically I take a look at it to see how it’s holding up and it continues to be almost good as new. No major scuffs, etc. that fabric is amazing imo.

Norway
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both, and I have to say that I much prefer the halcyon to the ballistic. I think the halcyon material sets the backpack more apart from other bags out there, and although I love the feel of the ballistic on my Side Effect, I was less thrilled about it in a backpack. I got the black ballistic, so perhaps another color would have been more exciting.

The halcyon is certainly less rigid than the ballistic (I gather that the ballistic softens up a little with time), but it doesn’t feel floppy at all to me. I have a Smart Alec in halcyon, and that is very floppy indeed, but the Synik is much more sturdy because of the lining and the frame sheet. I think it hits the sweet spot. The TB-label blends in a little better on black halcyon as well, in my opinion.

I got the ballistic because I was seduced by the beautiful Island interior. Turns out that NW Sky is very nice and practical, and I get to spice it up with the accessories.