Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect / Kick — waist mode

Hi !
    I am tempted by a Side Kick (or a Side Effect, by the way) but I am wondering: do you use it rather in waist, or crossbody mode?
    I'm interested in both ways, but I'm not sure it would be easy to switch from one way to another... (especially with these waist strap clips).
    You probably have to choose a way, and stick to it, right? I regret that it is not the same strap that does both functions. Thanks for your advices !

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my Side Kick regularly with both the shoulder strap and the waist belt. It takes probably less than a minute to change it from one mode to the other, once you get the hang of the gatekeeper clips. With the waist belt attached, I can use it as a waist pack or crossbody as a sling pack, which is nice and versatile.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Synik 22/Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your waist measurement, you might actually be able to use the shoulder strap as a waist belt too. I have been able to do that with mine in a pinch. Sure the standard waist strap is easier to deal with having a real buckle, but I've definitely used the 1" shoulder strap on the side effect as a waist strap. Come to think of it, I've used the 5/8" strap on the TC as a waist strap with the TC too, so.... Also if you have other bags that came with the detachable waist strap, you don't need to buy another one - the side effect strap is the same.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Pna,

There’s a video that @maverick made to show diffθrent ways the SideEffect can be carried that demos both waist strap and cross body usage. You can find it in the thread titled “Side Effect strap length for across the body use.”:

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...-body-use.html

I have always prefered to use a 1” wide Shoulder strap with both Side Effect and Side Kick in place of the 5/8” wide strap that comes with the Side Effect:

https://www.tombihn.com/products/1-shoulder-strap

This used to be the standard strap for the Side Kick until they changed the Side Kick strap
    Attachment design in March/April.

If you want to see some additional hacks for wearing these at the waist, take a look at some of the pictures @Cristina posted at the end of her thread asking for 1.5” Single Gatekeeper Clip alternatives:

https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...ernatives.html

It’s more comfortable to wear a Side Effect around your waist using a standard 1” waist strap (such as comes with a Daylight Backpack, Synapse, Synik, or other bag as a removable accessory). This is because the longer drop of the Side Kick is not as comfortably positioned with respect to the waistband attachment points — you’d really like to drop bag lower so that the longer section hangs down rather than feeling the bag “fold” closer to its midpoint. They no longer sell 1.5” Single Gatekeeper clips so you can’t simply use one of these attached to a 1” waist band webbing loop to drop the Side Kick into a more comfortable position. Two possible workaround hacks to make this more comfortable to wear: the Citizen Canine has a 1.5” wide (Coyote) webbing waist strap option that can be separately sold:
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/cc-strap-choice
    Various padded hip belts are designed to carry lower than your waist (some of them have 1.5” Gatekeeper clips, so you can
    also attach the Side Kick lower down). Cristina was using one with 1” Gatekeeper clips for the Synapse padded hip belt but the ones for the Guides Pack, Brain Bag etc. With 1.5” Gatekeeper ends are even more comfortable.

This is probably more information than you need!

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See the notes about the new Side Kick design

https://blog.tombihn.com/updates-sna...oint-placement

The blog announcement links to another forum discussion thread
    Last edited by moriond; 11-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Member
    Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    thank you all for all these answers!
    Indeed, a lot of information and details but I like it!
    (good to watch again a video from maverick who helped me a lot with the Tri-Star choice!)
    I will carefully read the quoted threads and think about this question of straps.
    I am tempted by the Side Kick, especially since I love my Tri-Star since day one (I appreciate so much to have a unique bag to travel and free hands!).
    Now I would like to get a small and practical daily light bag. Originally I wanted a bag that is essentially worn at the waist, but that can also be worn over the shoulder.
    I like the versatility of the bags (as for the Tri-Star). Besides, if there was a small lightweight backpack that could also be worn on the shoulder, I would probably buy it too Smilie
    Thanks again for the great help here.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pna View Post
    I like the versatility of the bags (as for the Tri-Star). Besides, if there was a small lightweight backpack that could also be worn on the shoulder, I would probably buy it too Smilie
    Thanks again for the great help here.

I just mentioned this is a different thread because someone else was interested in a convertible cross shoulder/backpack small bag:

TB had a small 12L bag for a brief time called the Stowaway that was convertible... hand carry, shoulder strap carry, backpack
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/the...7804e63a&_ss=r

It's discontinued, but they do show up on eBay sometimes... there is a 3-way carry bag in the works that may come in multiple sizes eventually, but there's no date announced for it yet.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @moriond
    I've read the thread again and i'm a little lost!
    I noted for adding a 1" wide shoulder strap, thanks.

But about the waist strap: by following your link
    this product does not seem available ($0!) ?
    (By the way i didn't find any pictures with the Side Kick worn at the waist!)

And also, what Tom Bihn pouches would you recommend to go with the Side Kick?
    I would like to buy two or three to pair with it.
    Thank you !

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The intended waist strap for the Side Kick is a 1" Gatekeeper Waist Strap.

The Side Kick is my everyday bag. Most days I carry it cross-body with supplied shoulder strap. Only on limited occasions do I use the optional waist strap, perhaps when carrying other shoulder bags or a rucksack, or if in crowded situations for keeping Side Kick a bit closer and secure.

The only pouches I use in my Side Kick are a Minimalist Wallet and a Clear Organizer Pouch for sime paper documentation. The Side Kick is nicely arranged with different sized pockets that I find it sufficiently organised without other pouches.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Pna,

Try this link instead: https://www.tombihn.com/products/ext...77e0f063&_ss=r

Forum Member
    Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, @BigBadD and @aedifica.
    I probably will order the intended waist strap, because i don't like the color of this Extra Citizen Canine Strap (the color won't match with the Nebulous Grey!!).. Wink
    the Minimalist Wallet is tempting, but / even if it does not have pockets for coins...!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the black gatekeeper strap:

https://www.tombihn.com/products/gat...nt=16645278599

Forum Member
    Paris, France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    yes that's the one proposed as optional strap in the Side Kick page. thanks @tress29.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @moriond
    I've read the thread again and i'm a little lost!
    I noted for adding a 1" wide shoulder strap, thanks.

And also, what Tom Bihn pouches would you recommend to go with the Side Kick?
    I would like to buy two or three to pair with it.
    Thank you !
    Hi @Pna,

[Sorry, I drafted this some time ago, but it didn't post; I'll leave in the parts that duplicate the CC strap link information, and the waist strap -- which is also available in 1.5" wide strap in black, because they made a version for the Brain Bag. Main possibility I wanted others to check is using the current model's shoulder strap as a waist strap).

Apologies for any confusion. First, with regard to the statement in your initial post
    I regret that it is not the same strap that does both functions.
    I went back to check the current model of the Side Kick (with the redesigned shoulder strap), and I think that one of the benefits of the redesign is that it is possible to use the shoulder strap as a waist strap for the Side Kick -- I actually tried this out, since I've generally been using the original version of the Side Kick, with the shoulder strap that attaches via Snap Hooks to two triangular points, and for which the strap material is webbing.

I'll try to take you quickly through the changes that were made, and also explain why I think you'll be able to use the current shoulder strap as a waist strap:

The thread Is There an Alternative Side Kick Strap That is Longer? shows the original design Side Kick and the current design Side Kick in post #4.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

@Inky's question, and @Crisitina's question citing the new Gatekeeper straps in use since the end of June 2018, led me to check the new Side Kick strap placement.

For background, the original design of the Side Kick had the webbing end with a Triangular piece attached, with a central hole through which you could clip on a 1" Shoulder Strap. It looked like this:

(Picture from @gochicken's post #26 giving excellent comparison pictures between the Side Kick and the Side Effect in The Side Kick a dream come true thread from November 2016's debut day. I'm only extracting the side view showing the Side Kick at the right with it's attached shoulder strap.)

For comparison, here's the current (post-end-of-June-2018) design of the Side Kick, which now uses the what used to be called the Field Journal Shoulder Strap (except that the webbing is now the satiny smooth fabric also used for current Cafe Bag straps), and which is now sold as the Side Kick Shoulder Strap:

The above picture is taken from Darcy's 25-June-2018 post #11 in the Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried thread started in 22-March-2018 that ultimately led to the re-design of the Side Kick strap attachment arrangement in late June 2018.

I can't post a picture now, but the new strap on it's longest setting is basically only a little longer than the default setting I use for my original Side Kick with the hook end strap -- where there is about 6+" extra length left to adjust in the strap. So, I can imagine that some people might find the length of the current strap a problem.

It is, however, possible to add a pair of 1" Triangle Hooks tp the webbing loop ends of the current Side Kicks to modify them back close to the original design, and get some extra length if you then go back to the original 1" shoulder straps.

HTH

moriond
    One further change was made in the length of the shoulder strap as a result of the original poster finding it too short, and my comment in post #8 that effectively the new Gatekeeper Shoulder Strap they were using did not give as much length as the original design, given the fact that the original attachment points were higher.

If I double up the current shoulder strap for the Side Kick to its shortest length, and switch it to the attachment points for the waist strap, I can comfortably carry the current model Side Kicks around my waist. (Actually, for me the Side Kick sits lower, around my hips, which is more comfortable -- the problem that I thought I would have is the longer strap being entirely too large to wear around the waist without having a heavy coat or jacket on).

It's partly the thicker and silkier texture of the current shoulder straps in contrast to the webbing waist straps that makes this more comfortable to wear. It molds more easily to your body in other carrying positions without requiring it to be as tightly cinched around the waist. (I'm hoping that some other forum members or moderators can check me on this -- especially since I'm about 161 cm tall (just under 5'4", and petite sized in clothing) -- and most of the time I've been adapting the waist straps with shorter end pieces to avoid long ends).

I measure the length of the current Shoulder Strap shortened to minimum length as about 75 cm or 29.5 inches from Gatekeeper clip end to Gatekeeper clip end. Then the body of the Side Kick is another 24.5 cm or 9.6 inches. I was initially afraid this would fall down off my hips, but it's actually comfortable wear, because there's a double thickness of the strap, which is also very pliable and molds. This also means that you don't feel as distinct a difference in having the slidable buckle for the Shoulder Strap adjustment around your waist, because the smoother and thicker strap material means this won't feel so lumpy compared to having a clickable waist belt joining buckle for thinner webbing. And I think that for people who really would have the shortest setting of the shoulder strap in danger of falling down off their hips, you could use the current strap keepers to shorten the length more.

It's actually pretty easy and quick to change over the shoulder strap to waist strap mode given the silky texture of the strap material when sliding the buckle (and I just push it to the minimum length position). Also, engaging and disengaging the Gatekeeper clips to remove the Shoulder strap and reattach it as a waist strap is pretty simple and fast once you get the hang of pushing down on the metal clip to release it (there's an old maverick video for that, too,

Now, as an explanation of the link problems about the Citizen Canine Strap:

I should have pointed you to the Extra Citizen Canine Strap web page instead of the link that described strap options on the main Citizen Canine web page. They let you choose one strap as part of the purchase (equivalently, shoulder, belt or belt clips) included with the accessory, and there's also the option of adding another such accessory as a separate purchase for $10, which you can also do without buying a Citizen Canine. There are separate pictures of the waist strap connected to the CC on the product page, for example:
    but the pictures in the video are mostly of people wearing the Citizen Canine with Side Pockets attached -- they retired the Side Pockets in August 2017, but since these were an option that added features to the plain CC waiststrap, most of the pictures that were shown had people wearing side pockets instead of just the waist strap. What may be more useful, if you don't like Coyote, is knowing that you can order a 1.5" waist strap with black webbing from the Gatekeeper Waist Strap and adding a note that you want a 1.5" waist strap (similar to what they describe for the Brain Bag on that page)

The main effect of the 1.5" wide waist strap is to let you drop the carrying position of accessories with 1" wide webbing waist strap attachment points lower down on the hips, which is more comfortable for these longer bags like the Side Kick if the waist strap is more closely cinched. (At least, I think that's what @Cristina was finding in her post about looking for 1.5" single gatekeeper clips -- it's possible that this is more noticeable for women). There were a whole set of posts that we did about using the Citizen Canine for non-Canine purposes that included information we picked for use in later bag hacking (and they didn't make the 1.5" waist strap available to us at the time, but I ordered one later, and tested this with Side Effect and Side Kick, and also tested the Brain Bag hip belt accessories with these accessories).

I now think that the current design Side Kick Shoulder strap should work OK for you as a waist strap, but I'd like to get some feedback opinions from other forum members

Accessories for the Side Kick:
    Many accessories will fit in the pockets of the Side Kick. Some of the ones that I use:
    Nik's Wallet This is really a minimalist wallet, and I slip one of these into a pocket; I find that the Halcyon versions will hold slightly more cards, but it's not a big difference
    Clear Organizer Wallet or other Mini sized organizer pouch in Halcyon or Parapack. (I don't think they have the Parapack now, and COW color options are minimal). This size pouch both fits nicely in the pockets and can also be tethered to a keystrap so they remain hitched to the bag.
    Pocket Pouch This is also a good size for the pockets and tethering, and is good for holding business cards (which I personally don't use much)
    Mini Q-Kit I use this for storing a power charger bar, cables, and a small flashlight in the center section of the Side Kick; this is really for more 3-dimensional storage, and you can see more pictures in the Q-Kit: small vs. mini thread, which shows my Q-Kit with just the power charger bar inside (not the cable and flashlight that sit above it).
    Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch in Small, Mini, or Super Mini sizes. These are a good compromise for holding both flat and more 3-dimensional objects. The Small size is useful for a variety of larger objects from stationary items to glasses; I use Mini for prescription drugs, Super Mini is about the same outline as Pocket Pouch or Nik's Wallet.
    A lot of people like the Double Organizer Pouch -- I do, too, but I usually don't carry one in my Side Kick. Some people use this as an alternative wallet in the Small size, because its easier to reach in for coins due to it's larger size, and the dividers give separate compartments.

There are a lot of threads for all these accessories with titles like Uses of the Double Organizer Pouch, etc.

Also, because I'm tethering different pouches with snap hook ends, I use an additional key strap option with either a split ring or an O-ring at one end to hook to one of the central O-rings of the Side Kick

HTH, and that others chime in with more suggestions. I'd probably at least try some Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches, and a Nik's Wallet (if that catches your interest), and maybe a Mini Pouch or a Small Double Organizer Pouch. I'd also ask customer support about what color/fabric combinations are currently available. I find the accessories are additionally a great way to sample fabrics and colors of interest. I'm pretty sure that they don't have the pouches in Parapack now, and I would ask for the Pocket Pouch and Double Organizer Pouch colors that I was interested in. One of the nice features of the Ghost Whale pouches (and also the Clear Organizer Wallets when they had more in stock, and had different fabrics) is that you can specify the exact colors/fabric that you want.

moriond

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, @BigBadD and @aedifica.
    I probably will order the intended waist strap, because i don't like the color of this Extra Citizen Canine Strap (the color won't match with the Nebulous Grey!!).. Wink
    the Minimalist Wallet is tempting, but / even if it does not have pockets for coins...!
    A mini Q-kit is great for coins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast