Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from phones, what fits in the Luminary 12 side pockets?

Hi everyone—hope you're doing well! I've been (I've bihn? Stick Out Tongue) waffling for a while now on which bag would work best for me. I was set on the Synapse 19 for a while but then realized it might be overkill for what I'm looking for—an EDC to accompany me on library trips, dog walks, while working in cafes, etc. I typically carry wallet, phone, Hydroflask, sketchbook, a book and/or small notebook, a 9.7" iPad, and other little essentials. Sometimes I need my 13" macbook pro but not always. (I could possibly squeeze it into the Luminary 12's main section on those rare occasions I require it?)

This is my very long-winded way of saying: I've looked at nearly every Luminary 12 review I can to get a good idea of what it can handle. I have a small iPhone so am not too concerned about that fitting, but I really like to have my wallet within easy reach so I don't have to root around for it in a main compartment.

I know how *tall* the Luminary 12 side pockets are, but don't have a good idea of their depth. Can only flat-ish items fit in there really? Would putting a medium-sized wallet in there be impossible or end up digging into the main compartment too much? If anyone who uses those pockets for things other than just their phone has any insights or photos, I'd appreciate it so very much Smilie

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoldsong View Post
    Would putting a medium-sized wallet in there be impossible or end up digging into the main compartment too much? If anyone who uses those pockets for things other than just their phone has any insights or photos, I'd appreciate it so very much Smilie
    I don't have a Luminary, but if you include a picture, the model of your wallet, or the dimensions, that would help. Members here will try to fit just about anything in a bag to help you out! They even include pictures! So if they can approximate the size with a similar item, that helps greatly.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the older original version of the Luminary 12, the pockets may be a touch different.
    I tend to store pen, pencil, tissue packet, Altoids tin, and a granola bar in one pocket. I often put my bluetooth headset & charger in a mini Q-kit (the smallest size) (it fits well with the top facing inboard in the pocket) in the other.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    I don't have a Luminary, but if you include a picture, the model of your wallet, or the dimensions, that would help. Members here will try to fit just about anything in a bag to help you out! They even include pictures! So if they can approximate the size with a similar item, that helps greatly.
    Sure thing! I just measured and it's about 5.5" long and 1.5" in depth Embarrassment Am not 100% attached to this wallet in particular—just curious in general if a "chunkier" item like this will fit in there, as opposed to super slim items like iPhones, or if that would cause the pockets to bulge awkwardly.

Thanks for the reply!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I have the older original version of the Luminary 12, the pockets may be a touch different.
    I tend to store pen, pencil, tissue packet, Altoids tin, and a granola bar in one pocket. I often put my bluetooth headset & charger in a mini Q-kit (the smallest size) (it fits well with the top facing inboard in the pocket) in the other.
    I think the pockets on the new version are a tad larger (or the zippers are longer, at least, IIRC). This is helpful info, thank you! Embarrassment

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the newer version of the L12.

I put a large sunglasses case (little less than 2” at its widest) in the longer side pocket and a minimalist wallet and car fob in smaller left pocket. My iPhone XR with doesn’t slip in the smaller pocket. It would fit in the longer side pocket it it were empty but not when carrying the sunglasses case.

I usually put my iPad 9.7, iPhone XR (with case) and Bose QC-30 earbuds (in medium organizer) in the laptop compartment. There’s room to spare. Misc do-dads like tissues and lip balm go in the inner pocket. I unzipped the water bottle holder but do still store the 16-oz water bottle in it. The main compartment has lots of room to spare.

Aside from phones, what fits in the Luminary 12 side pockets?-461a93e6-6fb6-4ba3-a684-7155df708e65-jpeg
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I have the newer version of the L12.

I put a large sunglasses case (little less than 2” at its widest) in the longer side pocket and a minimalist wallet and car fob in smaller left pocket. My iPhone XR with doesn’t slip in the smaller pocket. It would fit in the longer side pocket it it were empty but not when carrying the sunglasses case.

I usually put my iPad 9.7, iPhone XR (with case) and Bose QC-30 earbuds (in medium organizer) in the laptop compartment. There’s room to spare. Misc do-dads like tissues and lip balm go in the inner pocket. I unzipped the water bottle holder but do still store the 16-oz water bottle in it. The main compartment has lots of room to spare.

Aside from phones, what fits in the Luminary 12 side pockets?-461a93e6-6fb6-4ba3-a684-7155df708e65-jpeg
    Oh this is great! Your sunglasses case fitting in the larger pocket is a good illustration—that's the kind of thing I was wondering about. If nothing thicker than a phone could ever fit in those pockets I'm not sure how useful I'd find them.

Thanks so for the response and the picture Smilie Much appreciated. P.S. Burnt orange is exactly what I'd be going for, no matter what bag I end up with. It's gorgeous Heart Eyes

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind too my sunglasses go into a large case to fit bigger lenses. I looked up the dimensions — Length 6.75" x Width 2.8" x Height 2.14".
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Keep in mind too my sunglasses go into a large case to fit bigger lenses. I looked up the dimensions — Length 6.75" x Width 2.8" x Height 2.14".
    Thank you so much for looking that up! I know the only way I can truly see if it'll work for me is to try the bag, but it's nice to know there's at least a chance it'll fit everything I need.