Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary 15 packed inside the Synik 30?

I'm wondering whether anyone has used the luminary 15 as a packable day pack. More specifically, has anyone tried packing it inside of a Synik 30?

I'm sure the luminary 15 isn't the ideal packable day pack since it does have added bulk with padded straps, back panel, etc. However all of these things seem like they make it a great carry also. I tend to travel with a synapse 25 and last year I purchased a halcyon daylight backpack that I slipped inside like a large packing cube (much like a packing cube backpack). It worked really well, but there are things I don't love about the daylight.

I've long admired the luminary 15 as a day pack and light EDC. I was also looking at pictures on other forum posts and realized that the back panel outline and size dimensions of the L15 are quite similar to the inside main compartment panel of the S30.

Short story long, I'm wondering whether the L15 can pack flat enough to make it worth using in this way. Obviously if it adds too much bulk and heft it really wouldn't be worth it. Especially for "one bag" travel.

I'd appreciate any insights anyone might have on this matter.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @Bihnion36!

If no one posts in the interim, I can try this out later today.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums @Bihnion36!

If no one posts in the interim, I can try this out later today.
    That would be great! I've read these forums for a few years now but I've never posted until now. It's amazing how eager to help everyone is.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bihnion36, and another warm welcome to the forum! I just tried your configuration. You're right, the Luminary 15 fits almost perfectly inside the Synik 30. However, I don't think that this combination is really worthwhile. Due to its construction (decent shoulder straps, rather stiff material, back padding, and a three dimensional design) the Luminary takes up a lot of space so that you won't be able to pack a lot of other things. Thus, especially for one bag travel where you want to make optimal use of the space available I don't think that combining these two bags is a good idea. As you said, the Daylight Backpack would be ideally suited to do the trick as its construction is much lighter.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I store my luminary inside my synik. Whether it's worth the space it takes up to pack depends on how much else you want to pack, how much you want the luminary rather than something more packable...
    Luminary 15 packed inside the Synik 30?-img_20191119_173731-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. Some very good points made. I might just need to give it a try. The luminary 15 seems like such a great day pack. I wish there were more video reviews out there for that bag.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk