Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coyote Organizer Pouch - Micro Ballistic capacity

I'm looking for a very small pouch to hold an assortment of loyalty cards (credit card size) such as rental car, airline, restaurant cards, etc. Is the Coyote Organizer Pouch the right size for this or is it to difficult to retrieve cards out of it? I have at least a dozen.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the super mini ghost whale was perfect, the coyote nano was too small, but the mini holds cards well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I found the super mini ghost whale was perfect, the coyote nano was too small, but the mini holds cards well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See @maverick’s video on the super Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-fBt3SK4Q

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @melminimalist and @moriond said above, the Super Mini Ghost Whale or a Mini Organizer Pouch are a good size for this. It's also basically what the Clear Organizer Wallet was designed for (currently only available in Coyote Cordura--are these discontinued and I didn't notice?) https://www.tombihn.com/products/clear-organizer-wallet
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, moriond. The video helped. I'll go with the ghost whale but I'm moving up 1 size to the mini to fit about a dozen cards.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, melminimalist. I sent a thank you reply (similar to moriond), but it didn't seem to get uploaded. Frown

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    the Clear Organizer Wallet was designed for (currently only available in Coyote Cordura--are these discontinued and I didn't notice?) https://www.tombihn.com/products/clear-organizer-wallet
    I wonder the same thing. Although I likely will not buy one for a year or so, I feel they would be a loss to the lineup. They are a mini OP with dividers or the DOP version of the mini OP. Ohh the problems of products lacking planned obsolescence.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I wonder the same thing. Although I likely will not buy one for a year or so, I feel they would be a loss to the lineup. They are a mini OP with dividers or the DOP version of the mini OP. Ohh the problems of products lacking planned obsolescence.
    I think that it’s more likely that production quantities are down because they are focusing on catching up with both the demand for Syniks and also additional items that are scheduled to debut at the beginning of December. Similar declines in stock have occurred before under these circumstances. It’s also possible that they’re assessing whether the next batches will be made in other materials since Cordura usage has been phasing out. They might go back to making a batch of Clear Organizer Wallets in 200d Halcyon or 1050d Ballistic Nylon as happened in the batch around the time the Pilots first debuted.

ETA: Take a look at the Might ballistic Clear Organizer Wallets ever be an option? thread for more pictures and discussion, but I'm excerpting a picture:

Those are Clear Organizer Wallets in Wasabi 200d Halcyon (all still called Dyneema then), Original Nordic 400d Halcyon, Ultraviolet 200d Halcyon, Original 400d Halcyon (as we now refer to the Original 400d Black Halcyon), 200d Solar Halcyon, and Cardinal 1050d Ballistic Nylon Halcyon, with the Halcyon options all new (except for Wasabi 200d -- which had made an appearance before that), in the batch that showed up in January after the Christmas rush. There were also COWs in Parapack and a few other Ballistic Nylon colors like Forest, I think. One reason this sticks in my head is that the diversity of materials made the product page labelling tricky, since it was clear that Forest had to be Ballistic Nylon from the name of the color, but since there were also Parapack options, it wasn't clear whether the Black entry at the time was Ballistic, Cordura, or Parapack. That also wasn't an attempt to show every Dyneema/Halcyon COW color that was offered at that time, since I was focusing on new color options, and Steel 200d was another option, but it wasn't new.

There are other pictures in the linked thread discussing past COW pouch offerings in Ballistic Nylon (and Cork, Cocoa Ultrasuede, and Hemp).

BTW, this is secondary to the discussion of COWs, but if you want to track the history of the name change from Dyneema to Halcyon take a look at Darcy's first post in the Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid) thread. I think that part of the motivation was finding a different name because Dyneema is a specific brand name.

As to why they chose "Halcyon" for the new name, the first paragraph that summarizes with "here's the gist", states
    We've been testing an Aeronaut 30 and a Synapse 19 (photos below) made out of the fabric for the past nine months. On a beach hike with our new black-gridded Synapse 19, we saw a kingfisher fly past, inspiring us to choose the name "Halcyon." .
    You may know the story of why kingfishers are associated with the word/name "halcyon", but I'll link to an article that explains Why the kingfisher is known as 'the halcyon bird' and excerpt a relevant section as a quote:

According to the ancient Greeks, kingfishers built their nests on a raft of fish bones and, having laid their eggs, they set the nest afloat on the Mediterranean sea and incubated the eggs for seven days before and after the winter solstice.

In order to facilitate this it was said the gods always made sure that the seas and winds were calmed during this period. The Greek name for Kingfisher is halcyon, leading to the term ‘halcyon days’ which was originally a reference to the calm and fine weather at this time in Greece. We now use the term to refer to fondly remembered times in our past.
    You can also read one of my old posts from 2007 that discussed how even at that time standard Wikipedia definitions explaining "Dyneema" were switching to "Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE)" to avoid brand names -- and I think none of us would want to call this fabric "UHMWPE". Fortunately, we now have our own Materials web site page
    Last edited by moriond; 11-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkansen8 View Post
    Thanks, moriond. The video helped. I'll go with the ghost whale but I'm moving up 1 size to the mini to fit about a dozen cards.
    If you really want Coyote Organizer pouches such as listed on that product page, please also consider the Skookum Dog Organizer Pouches that are all Coyote, and extend to larger sizes.

I'll try to show you the relative size of the "Nano" "Micro" and "Mini" pouches on that first linked page:

This photo was taken for other purposes, but the left side shows the relative sizes of the "Nano" "Micro" and "Mini" pouches, even though I'm displaying a "Micro" pouch in Parapack instead of a Micro Coyote Organizer pouch in this picture. The Coyote pouches at the top left and bottom left are the Nano and Mini sizes from that product page. (I haven't seen the Mini size offered there for quite a while -- I think they now feel that the similar Mini Size version in the Skookum Dog Organizer Pouches (all in Coyote) now fulfill that role). The sewn label on the Mini Coyote Organizer Pouch that was originally offered on the Coyote Organizer Pouches product page is different from the Skookum Dog label, but otherwise the construction of both Mini Coyote Organizer pouches is the same -- they both use Coyote mesh and have a 1050d Coyote Ballistic Nylon backing. The (Coyote) Skookum Dog pouches run in size starting at "Mini" to "Small" and "Medium".

The fact that the Micro Coyote Organizer Pouch has a zippered opening means that you really can't insert your standard Loyalty Cards, Credit Cards, Driver's License, etc. into it, because you'd have to get them past the zipper head in the opening. But a similarly sized (in outer dimensions) Pocket Pouch could be used to hold such cards, because of the opening (without zipper). Some pocket pouches are shown on the right, although these do not happen to be Coyote in color. There are Pocket Pouches in Coyote -- they just don't happen to be in that picture. You can see an example of a Coyote/Island Pocket Pouch and a Small Coyote Ballistic Nylon Double Organizer Pouch in my post[#2198, 03-29-2018] in the Your Photos Are Needed thread.

For summary dimensions of the pouches discussed above, I'll quote a post by @London Eye:
    Quote Originally Posted by London Eye View Post
    Now that I have decided to order a Swift bag (thank you for helping me decide Smilie), I'm trying to decide which pouches will be useful for a non-knitter.

There are many pouches available in different sizes and materials (and weight).
    The clear pouches are obviously useful.
    Of the all-fabric pouches, ballistic is heavier - Is it better to have the lighter halcyon or cordura pouches, especially in the large size where there is a huge difference in weight (Halcyon 55g, Cordura 80g cf ballistic 135g)?

In trying to rationalise the pouches, I have grouped them by size as follows:

Pocket Pouch - 3.4" x 4.6" 15g

Coyote: Nano - 3.7 x 3" 20g

Coyote: Micro- 4.6 x 3.4" 25g

Knitting Tool Pounch: Size 4 - 5.5" x 5.5" 30g

Mini - 5.7" x 3.9"
    Clear 20g
    Halcyon 20g
    Cordura or Parapack 20g
    Ballistic 25g
    Coyote: Mini Mesh 25g

Clear Organizer Wallet - 5.7" x 3.9" 30g

Small - 7" x 5"
    Clear 30g
    Halcyon 25g
    Cordura or Parapack 25g
    Ballistic 35g
    Mesh Ballistic 35g
    Double Organizer Pouch 40g

Medium - 10.3" x 7"
    Clear 50g
    Halcyon 30g
    Cordura or Parapack 40g
    Ballistic 60g
    Mesh Ballistic 55g
    Double Organizer Pouch

Large - 14.5" x 11.2"
    Clear 100g
    Halcyon 55g
    Cordura or Parapack 80g
    Ballistic 136g
    Double Organizer Pouch

Pencil- 9" x 3.9"
    Clear 30g
    Ballistic 35g

Which pouches do you use most often?
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    They might go back to making a batch of Clear Organizer Wallets in 200d Halcyon or 1050d Ballistic Nylon as happened in the batch around the time the Pilots first debuted.
    I was unaware the COW's were ever made in any fabric other than cordura. I bought my first, and currently my only, COW about a year ago and 4 cordura colors were the only options. (French blue was my selection). I was assuming then and after Nik's wallet release that the lack of current fabric choices meant its fade into retirement. I also am unaware of the Ultrasuede being used in any other production items thus another strike against the COW. I hope it doesn't leave the lineup, it has a niche. Good to hear there is hope to remain.