Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
    I took a quick video so you or others can get a sense of the sizing and how the bag reacts to different loads: https://imgur.com/a/dPTqxst
    Wow, this is super useful! Thanks a ton for doing that. I think that you guys all make really good points, and it seems like the 30 would probably be best for me, even if I do have to remove the frame to use as a personal item. (or I could always just check the Farpoint with my other suitcase, the thing's indestructible anyways...) Thank you all for the comments! I really appreciate it. And now we play the waiting game for the guide edition to come out...

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The addition of just a few items would likely make the 22 untenable.

I don’t usually carry a water bottle. If I do, it’s not one of the larger, tumbler types. I don’t carry a laptop or full-size headphones. I have the Bose QC20. And I’ve gone liquid-free for flying. That’s more to do with less futzing at airport security than saving space.

I typically travel with some photo gear (Fuji) but on my next trip the phone will fulfill that role. Generally, just getting weary of schlepping lenses, and assorted stuff. Even a small kit adds weight. Taking all that away also takes away all the associated batteries, chargers, etc ...

I MIGHT be tempted with an X100 ... but that’s it.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post
    The addition of just a few items would likely make the 22 untenable.

I don’t usually carry a water bottle. If I do, it’s not one of the larger, tumbler types. I don’t carry a laptop or full-size headphones. I have the Bose QC20. And I’ve gone liquid-free for flying. That’s more to do with less futzing at airport security than saving space.
    And that's the final nail in the coffin for the 22, I think. I don't always carry my laptop with me, although for grad school I almost certainly will be. And I have a fairly large Yeti rambler that I would really be sad to leave behind. It's one of those things that you have for ages that just never, ever seems to die, no matter how many times you drop it out of a window or onto the floor (it's up to 4 now!).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was afraid the Synik 30 would be too big, but it’s actually not. I fly weekly (Southwest) and got mine last week, so did my first flight today. Under the seat, no issues. It seems large from the dimensions, but I found it’s not really any bigger than the bag I used to carry, which is a Swiss-gear backpack. The Swiss-gear bags seem to be pretty popular as carry-ons, and so don’t see any reason why the Synik 30 would be an issue.

Also, you can remove the internal frame, which makes the bag more flexible if needed. I did not remove the internal frame, and it still fit under the seat on my Southwest flight with no issues.

Here’s a pic of my Synik 30 next to my old Swiss-gear bag:

Last edited by F308gt4; 12-09-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to consider that might make or break your decision is your laptop size. I have an S22 and S25. My laptop is an HP Elitebook 840 which is a little over 13 long and it doesnt fit into the S22 laptop compartment, so I slip it into a thin (non-TB) sleeve and into the main compartment. Same space limitation in the laptop compartment with my SurfaceBook laptop. Not my favorite since it takes up space in the main compartment. Im guessing both my laptops would fit in the S30 (but not at the same time.)

When Im commuting and need to take my laptop home, it goes into my S22 which is my EDC. When I travel, I switch to my S25 to give me more room for travel stuff. I also switch over to the S25 for commuting if Im carrying my laptop and a lot of stuff.

(BTW...I use the laptop compartment of my S22 to carry my iPad Pro 9.7, my Bose QC30 earbuds (stored in a medium halycony organizer, and my work iPhone XR. There would also be space for some thinner paper files.)
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2