Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help choosing a Synik

Hey all,

So I'm in the market for a new bag and I really love the look of the Synik. It checks all the boxes for me-the clamshell looks perfect, and I really like how the laptop compartment works. I just can't figure out which size to get. I'm a bigger guy-6 feet, 235 pounds-and I'm worried the 22 would be too comically small for me. I would switch to the 30, but I'm concerned that it would be a little too large.

I'm going to be using this bag as a personal item on my flight when I move abroad, and then for general EDC usage (and possible onebag travel) afterwards while I'm at grad school. I've heard that the 30 is just a teensy bit too unwieldy for that kind of stuff. Any tips or suggestions from current Synik owners would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently leaning towards the 22, but I'm definitely willing to change my mind to the 30 or even the Synapse 25 if it's clear that the 22 isn't what I need. Thanks a ton!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For you, I feel like it's a no-brainer. You'd need a Synik 30. It's not _too_ big. I'm a 5'10" guy and a Synik 30 "feels right" for me. It doesn't feel unwieldy to me at all. In fact, one of the things I like about it is how "naturally" is kind of flattens down when it's under-packed. It's basically the same dimensions as a S25, I think, only it gives you the possibility (which I personally hardly ever use) of a little more depth.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lang View Post
    For you, I feel like it's a no-brainer. You'd need a Synik 30. It's not _too_ big. I'm a 5'10" guy and a Synik 30 "feels right" for me.
    I'm thinking you might be right. I guess I'm just a little worried about using it on the plane. Do you have any experience using it as a personal item, as opposed to the carry-on? I'd be using my Farpoint 40 for that, I think.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the same thing. I’m 5’11” and 160 lb. I was agonizing between the 22 and 30, and went with the 22. This is for one-bag travel and “conversion” to daypack at destination. I’ve gotten super-efficient with packing, so the 22 will work for me. YMMV.

You’re in Buffalo, so you could order both and return the size that doesn’t work for you. Problematic for me, as I wouldn’t get reimbursed on the duties.

The TB team say both sizes should work under seat, as long as you don’t super-stuff the 30.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    I'm thinking you might be right. I guess I'm just a little worried about using it on the plane. Do you have any experience using it as a personal item, as opposed to the carry-on? I'd be using my Farpoint 40 for that, I think.
    Have you booked your flight yet? Worth checking to see what the personal item rules are on the airlines operating the route you need.
    (You may get away with the SN30 as a personal item on US airlines but it would be considered a carry on in Europe)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Have you booked your flight yet? Worth checking to see what the personal item rules are on the airlines operating the route you need.
    (You may get away with the SN30 as a personal item on US airlines but it would be considered a carry on in Europe)

I haven't yet, but I have a feeling my flight is going to be either Air Canada Rouge or Delta, just based on what's available in my area for flights to Edinburgh.

Yarpy, I'm actually thinking of doing the whole ordering two bags thing, but I'm a little hesitant to commit to that because it's a ton of money to be dropping at once, and I'm hopefully going to be ordering one of the Synik guide editions once they drop and I don't want to take a pre-order away from someone who really wants it.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't yet, but I have a feeling my flight is going to be either Air Canada Rouge or Delta, just based on what's available in my area for flights to Edinburgh.

Yarpy, I'm actually thinking of doing the whole ordering two bags thing, but I'm a little hesitant to commit to that because it's a ton of money to be dropping at once, and I'm hopefully going to be ordering one of the Synik guide editions once they drop and I don't want to take a pre-order away from someone who really wants it.
    Ok, well Air Canada personal item is 17 x 13 x 6 inches max, so SN30 will be too big but SN22 should be fine provided it's not full.

Delta don't provide personal item dimensions to work from, so that's not super helpful, but any bag over 9 inches thick may struggle to fit under seat depending on the seat configuration.

It's worth remembering that the SN30 is 20 x 13 x 9 inches in size, so really not all that much smaller than standard North American carry on size of 22 x 14 x 9

You are tall so more likely to get away with a large personal item. Would I chance it? No I would not. But I'm only 5ft 6.5 !

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Ok, well Air Canada personal item is 17 x 13 x 6 inches max, so SN30 will be too big but SN22 should be fine provided it's not full.

Delta don't provide personal item dimensions to work from, so that's not super helpful, but any bag over 9 inches thick may struggle to fit under seat depending on the seat configuration.

It's worth remembering that the SN30 is 20 x 13 x 9 inches in size, so really not all that much smaller than standard North American carry on size of 22 x 14 x 9

You are tall so more likely to get away with a large personal item. Would I chance it? No I would not. But I'm only 5ft 6.5 !

Yeah, that's kind of the conundrum I'm in. I definitely feel like the 30 would fit me better, but the 22 is likely to give me less headaches and stress while I'm traveling. I suppose I could kind of squish it down a bit, but like you said-you're kind of rolling the dice there.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's kind of the conundrum I'm in. I definitely feel like the 30 would fit me better, but the 22 is likely to give me less headaches and stress while I'm traveling. I suppose I could kind of squish it down a bit, but like you said-you're kind of rolling the dice there.
    For what it's worth, there have been several threads recently about using an S25 or an SN30 as a personal item. Following up on your "squish it down" comment: if you're willing to remove the frame sheet for any trips in which you intend to use it as a personal item, I think the top of the bag would fold down fine unless the whole thing is very overstuffed.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    For what it's worth, there have been several threads recently about using an S25 or an SN30 as a personal item. Following up on your "squish it down" comment: if you're willing to remove the frame sheet for any trips in which you intend to use it as a personal item, I think the top of the bag would fold down fine unless the whole thing is very overstuffed.
    I've seen a few of those threads, and they really helped me to not outright discount the 30L. I do have one question that didn't seem to get answered in those threads though. If you remove the frame sheet, does that affect the integrity of the laptop compartment at all? I don't want to possibly risk my laptop just to save a few inches.

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my 22 arrived, I had a brief spell of buyers remorse. It did seem small. However, I committed myself to making it work.

If you’re doing long-haul on Rouge, beware of economy. We did a flight from YYZ-MIA, and my knees left dents in the seat pocket. I think there was about 28” of pitch. Premium economy is better if it’s in your budget. I will never willingly fly Rouge economy again.

Do you have any reason to head up to the GTA? You’re welcome to take a look at my S22.
    Last edited by Yarpy; 12-09-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post

If you’re doing long-haul on Rouge, beware of economy. We did a flight from YYZ-MIA, and my knees left dents in the seat pocket. I think there was about 28” of pitch. Premium economy is better if it’s in your budget. I will never willingly fly Rouge economy again.
    Rouge is definitely my last resort, yeah. I've heard way too many bad things about them to really consider them. The only thing they have going for them is that they're the closest nonstop flight service to Scotland from where I'm currently living, although I'm starting to think that a layover might be preferable to taking them...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few of those threads, and they really helped me to not outright discount the 30L. I do have one question that didn't seem to get answered in those threads though. If you remove the frame sheet, does that affect the integrity of the laptop compartment at all? I don't want to possibly risk my laptop just to save a few inches.
    If you remove the frame, you are removing some of the protection, but a lot depends on how you personally handle your bag...

From the product page:

"The compartment is suspended off the bottom of the bag, and that means your laptop is suspended off the bottom of the bag, too. That suspension is much more effective if you use the Synik internal frame: a soft, frameless bag offers nothing from which to suspend the laptop. Worth noting: the bottom of the Synik is padded, so there's that extra peace of mind as well."

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rouge is definitely my last resort, yeah. I've heard way too many bad things about them to really consider them. The only thing they have going for them is that they're the closest nonstop flight service to Scotland from where I'm currently living, although I'm starting to think that a layover might be preferable to taking them...
    Consider Air Transat. I’ve never done long-haul with them, but they get good reviews. Their Club Class is similar to PE.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is great advice in this thread. I'll say that I had the same concerns as far as sizing when I researched the Synik, and I'm thrilled to have picked the 30. The 22 would be a challenge and probably workable but not as easy from day to day. I'm 6' 2" and just under 200 lbs.

I took a quick video so you or others can get a sense of the sizing and how the bag reacts to different loads: https://imgur.com/a/dPTqxst

My "full" pack is sort of an EDC for me and there is so much stuff:

• WB pocket: 16oz vacuum tumbler
    • front pocket: keys, small tools
    • side pocket #1: first aid kit w/ medications and inhaler, eye drops, wipes, cough drops, candies, Tiger Balm (!) (I am Tiger Balm years old)
    • side pocket #2: camera, cables, iPad charger, adapters, USB drives, in-ear headphones
    • bottom: small snake charmer with cables and other tech needs, laptop charger, snacks
    • main: toiletry kit, full-size studio headphones, lunch bag (this is about the size of a medium packing cube), hat, gloves
    • laptop: 15" Macbook pro, 11" iPad, paper folder

The "EDC" pack is all the same things with the lunchbox, laptop, headphones, and toiletry kit removed.

The full pack is 9" at the deepest and if I was traveling with a carry on I'd be a little reticent to pass the Synik off as a personal item. An an EDC pack I'd do it without hesitation. As an EDC the bag is virtually weightless on my back and it's pretty much unnoticeable in travel—my favorite thing about it. I will say I've also crammed much, much more into it. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by rmedek; 12-09-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast