Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the Luminary 15 fit well inside the Aeronaut 45?

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums, and I can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm planning on buying the Aeronaut 45, but I'd like a daypack that can fit comfortably inside. I'm not a huge fan of true "packable" daypacks, such as my Tortuga packable daypack, because they tend to be too thin and not have enough padding for my liking. I am very much considering the Luminary 15 because it seems like a good size for a daypack, and I like the organization and layout of the pack as well as the materials its made out of. However, I'd really like it if it can inside the A45 easily. I'm considering the YNOT Deploy bag for it's packability and similar (at least from what I can tell) build construction. Does anyone have any experience with both of these bags? Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully someone who owns both of these bags can test this for you soon. In the meantime, I compared the size of the luminary 15 with the size of the main compartment packing cubes for the A45.
    The packing cubes are advertised as 13.4 inches square, which is pretty accurate, although obviously it would depend how you pack them.
    The luminary 15 is 16.5 inches long, so it probably won't pack flat inside the main compartment - you'd have to open up one of the into side pocket zippers or fold the bag.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums by the way Smilie

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at that YNOT bag and the nearest TB bag is the daylight backpack. Daylight Backpack is super sturdy and folds in half easily fitting into the main compartment of A45, or rolls into a small space to take advantage of nooks and crannies.
    Neither of these has any back padding, but the Luminary does, so comparing the Luminary with the YNOT isn't comparing like with like.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CFB View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums, and I can't seem to find the answer to my question.
    Welcome to the Forums @CFB!

I agree with @gqb... to fit it comfortably, you'd want to unzip one of the end compartments. It will obviously take up internal space/volume, so it depends on what you want to pack in there with it. The Luminary isn't huge and it is a very comfortable day pack to me, but it will take more space than a Daylight will.
    Feel free to share your packing list and we can try to help with how the volume looks.

I personally don't use the Daylight Backpack because the organization setup doesn't work for me. I have both Luminarys but never pack them into anything else. For a packable backpack with some organization and straps that fall between the DLBP and the Luminary, I bring an LLBean Stowaway.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcomes Smilie

@gqb, You're right, the Luminary and the YNOT Deploy are not comparable and I should instead compare it to the Daylight backpack. I had initially written the Daylight off because of the lack of back padding and straps that seemed very basic and uncomfortable for longer carries. I also felt like the items I would carry might end up poking me in the back. I have a trip to Japan coming up and in previous trips, I would put the pocket wifi and charging cable, power bank, a water bottle, my go pro tripod handle, and some other odds and ends inside. I wouldn't be packing any jackets or sweaters since I would probably be wearing them instead. I suppose I could always bring an extra t shirt on my trip and use it solely for the purpose of providing a back padding for the Daylight.

@G42, I generally overpack - or at least pack comfortably as opposed to minimally - for my trips, so the reduced volume does make me a bit worried. I also like the Luminary's organization vs the Daylight which makes the decision so difficult for me.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@gqb, You're right, the Luminary and the YNOT Deploy are not comparable and I should instead compare it to the Daylight backpack. I had initially written the Daylight off because of the lack of back padding and straps that seemed very basic and uncomfortable for longer carries. I also felt like the items I would carry might end up poking me in the back. I have a trip to Japan coming up and in previous trips, I would put the pocket wifi and charging cable, power bank, a water bottle, my go pro tripod handle, and some other odds and ends inside. I wouldn't be packing any jackets or sweaters since I would probably be wearing them instead. I suppose I could always bring an extra t shirt on my trip and use it solely for the purpose of providing a back padding for the Daylight.

@G42, I generally overpack - or at least pack comfortably as opposed to minimally - for my trips, so the reduced volume does make me a bit worried. I also like the Luminary's organization vs the Daylight which makes the decision so difficult for me.
    If you're expecting to pack mostly hard objects, then I agree that some back padding would be beneficial - so the Luminary would be the better choice for your carry.
    I am a big fan of the daylight backpack but I do pack It with some thought to avoid getting poked by my stuff Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had initially written the Daylight off because of the lack of back padding and straps that seemed very basic and uncomfortable for longer carries. I also felt like the items I would carry might end up poking me in the back. .
    (1) The pockets on the back panel of the DLBP allow you to add your own padding (ex: jacket, shirt, something else soft).
    (2) I put the S19 frame in my DLBP (I like stiffer backpanels, not squishy ones). I find the bp remarkably comfortable even with the lack of padded straps. It just works for me. Organization though, meh (because of the frame being against my back covering the pockets)

YMMV, but just throwing out the thought

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true that the Daylight Backpack's straps are very basic, but they're oddly comfortable. I think it may be because the straps are so much wider than typical "packable" backpack straps, so they spread the load better. The only time I've ever found a DLBP uncomfortable was yesterday when I had it stuffed to the gills with about 16 pounds of stuff (laptop and two speakers); I think part of the problem was the weight but the rest of the problem was that with the backpack stuffed so full, the laptop was being pressed into my back. In general, though, I find it a surprisingly comfortable backpack!

I do really like the Luminaries, but not enough to deal with having one take up so much extra space inside the Aeronaut--I'd bring a DLBP. (I can't compare it with any of the non-TB backpacks that have been mentioned because I don't have experience with any of those.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @earth5, thatís interesting, I never wouldíve thought to use the frame sheet of the Synapse in the Daylight. Does it fit nicely into the lower back pocket, or does it move around a lot? I was playing with the idea of bringing extra clothing solely for the purpose of padding the backpack, because Iíd likely be wearing the clothes I would use as support otherwise. Plus if I did pack a jacket to wear for later, then the bag would lose its padding if I got cold and had to wear the jacket wouldnít it?

@aedifica, I have read that despite the simple looks, the straps are more comfortable than they seem. 16 lbs is a lot though!

I had emailed Tom Bihn support asking this question a few days ago and Mike got back to me with this:
    ó
    Thanks for getting in touch. Good question!

The Luminary 15 would fit in the Aeronaut 45 but it will definitely take up a good bit of space. Additionally- the Luminary is long enough that you'd need to unzip the two side walls for the side pockets on the Aeronaut. These zippers are inside the main compartment and allow you to fit longer items inside the Aeronaut if necessary. My assessment is that while this would work, it likely will cost you more space than you want.

I totally see where you're coming from with wanting more padding than the Daylight offers but that is likely a better choice for the use you're describing.
    ó
    If the Luminary fit with just unzipping one of the side wall zips of the Aeronaut 45, that might be doable. But it seems like itíll take up way more space than itís worth. Iíll likely move forward with the Daylight, and maybe one day Iíll get a Luminary for the hell of it haha. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @earth5, that’s interesting, I never would’ve thought to use the frame sheet of the Synapse in the Daylight. Does it fit nicely into the lower back pocket, or does it move around a lot? I was playing with the idea of bringing extra clothing solely for the purpose of padding the backpack, because I’d likely be wearing the clothes I would use as support otherwise. Plus if I did pack a jacket to wear for later, then the bag would lose its padding if I got cold and had to wear the jacket wouldn’t it?
    The framesheet stays in place for me and does not shift around at all. I end up pulling the sheet out of my S19 and throwing it into the DLBP for weekend errand runs