Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing the HLT1 and the First or Second Aid Bag

Iím sure many of you who bought the new HLT1 also have a First or Second Aid Bag. Looking at the two bags, you can see that a lot of design features are the same. Clamshell opening, elastic bands to organize pens/tools, mesh bellowed pocket. The HLT1 has the side zip pockets while the FAB has the long clear urethane pocket. (And the HLT1 has the thumb loops and exterior pocket.) Thereís a big difference in cost but itís related to the detailed construction of the HLT1.

While Iíve been ogling the new Logic Blue, I keep comparing it to the FAB. Is the FAB the poor manís HLT?

Just wondering what the Bihnions have to sayÖ

Theresa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @tress29,

The better comparison is between the First or Second Aid Pouches and the HLT2, because that’s comparable size match.

But here are some comments: in terms of structure, if you want to carry a notebook, you’d have to place it in the First Aid Pouch either unsecured, or else fit a small notebook into the clear zippered pocket side. Something flat and not too thick, such as a Field Notes Notebook or a Moleskine Volante with the same form factor could fit there.

The zippered mesh pocket in the First Aid Pouch is a split pocket, which is better for organizing small meds, but it wouldn’t work to hold, say, a set of drawing pencils, because their length wouldn’t into a half pocket. Both the HLT1 and HLT2 have their mesh zippered pockets undivided.

In addition, there’s space behind the mesh zippered pockets of the HLTs so you could either insert something behind it (e.g., in the HLT2, this could be where I store my Kindle Paperwhite in its cover, and before someone asks yet again, no, you cannot comfortably fit a Kindle into the HLT1 without giving up the usable space on one side and/or running the risk of long term damage if you expect to carry it zipped in the HLT1 because of how much you’d have to stress the corners of the accessory to fit a naked Kindle Paperwhite into one side.

If you want to write in a notebook in the HLTs, you can secure one cover of the notebook under the mesh pocket, hold the open HLT book fashion and use your hand (hooked through the exterior hand grip and thumb loops) to support the spine. The largest notebook that I can use in this fashion with the HLT2 is one of the Leuchtturm1917 B6 planners or slimmer notebooks).

The First Aid Pouches are meant to be separately carried, so there are exterior webbing handles, but there are no places to put your hand to support the writing/journaling mode of the HLTs, and no ways to secure the accessory elsewhere, whereas the HLTs can be secured via swivel double carabiner clips to O-rings or webbing loops, can be worn on a belt, or carried over the shoulder with the kind of shoulder strap now being used for the Side Kicks. (Admittedly, especially for the HLT1, I don’t find this as comfortable as shoulder carrying a 3D Organizer Cube or Side Effect, because the attachement points are all to thumb loops on one side of the accessory instead of to O-rings at either end.)

Finally, both HLTs also have a front zippered pocket (with O-rings), for additional items such as keys, small pouches, etc.

The one thing that I do like fitting to the HLT2 from the First or Second Aid Pouch is the (double size) leaf pouchkin, which serves as an additional clear pocket that can hold small, relative flat items on the clear side like stamps, post it flags, etc., and other items on the reverse mesh side.

HTH

moriond

ETA:

This is one of the pictures I posted in @bartleby’s December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2). It shows the leaf pouchkin from the First Aid Pouch in the HLT2. A lot of the items in the pictures I put up there are unsecured, because I wanted to show sizes referenced to parts of the accessories. (I seem to have found a lot of different flashlights that could have fit into the small pockets they’re lying on top). The B6 journal shown there can have its cover slipped under the back of the mesh pocket, but won’t fit entirely behind the mesh pocket the way my Kindle (in it’s case, with the cover closed) will. Remember that the HLTs use a clamshell design, and there still might be occasions that a Side Effect might work better, depending on what you are carrying.
    Last edited by moriond; 12-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    if you want to carry a notebook, you’d have to place it in the First Aid Pouch either unsecured, or else fit a small notebook into the clear zippered pocket side. Something flat and not too thick, such as a Field Notes Notebook or a Moleskine Volante with the same form factor could fit there.
    I'm using an Exceed journal from Walmart, in the 3.5"x5.5" size. I got sucked into the Hobonichi thread, but was unwilling to buy a pricy notebook until I fully commit! I'm not using it as a bullet journal, rather a smaller version of my compact Franklin Planner.

The zippered mesh pocket in the First Aid Pouch is a split pocket, which is better for organizing small meds, but it wouldn’t work to hold, say, a set of drawing pencils, because their length wouldn’t into a half pocket.
    I saw that but then thought, Why couldn't you pick out the stiches that divide the bag!

If you want to write in a notebook in the HLTs, you can secure one cover of the notebook under the mesh pocket, hold the open HLT book fashion and use your hand (hooked through the exterior hand grip and thumb loops) to support the spine.
    The First Aid Pouches are meant to be separately carried, so there are exterior webbing handles, but there are no places to put your hand to support the writing/journaling mode of the HLTs
    My brain didn't immediately go to "journal" but I can see how the devotees would love a TB option for their Weeks or Techo.

Finally, both HLTs also have a front zippered pocket (with O-rings), for additional items such as keys, small pouches, etc.
    I do think that would be useful.

Remember that the HLTs use a clamshell design, and there still might be occasions that a Side Effect might work better, depending on what you are carrying.
    My Kindle Paperwhite and my planner share one inside pocket in my CP, while my glucose meter and diabetic supplies are tucked into a size 1 TSS in the other pocket. I'm most likely to just grab the TSS and my wallet and go! Since my kid stole/traded my SE away, I've got a TC and a SK. Most of the time the SK is too big, and the TC is awkward with the Kindle in it! I think I'll wait for a SE in Logic Blue. Big Grin