Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another A30 vs A45 - which one will weigh 10 kgs packed?

Hi !
    I am in the process of getting me an Aeronaut.
    The thing is I fly helicopter to work and the max weight per luggage is 10 kg or 22 lbs.
    I also carry a Pilot or WF so I want max out the Aeronaout with 10 kg of clothes only (and a small toiletry kit).
    So, will I manage to reach 10 kg of clothes in the A30 or do I need the A45 in order to bring 10 kgs?
    We are talking light clothes, no jeans or heavy jacket.
    Thank for your input.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snyggsomfan View Post
    Hi !
    I am in the process of getting me an Aeronaut.
    Hi @snyggsomfan and Welcome to the Forums!

A lot of replies may be very subjective, so in addition to all the responses you get, may I suggest you stack up everything you think you want to carry in a footprint that mimics the A30 (use masking tape or something and put a virtual box on the floor), then weigh it all and add the weight of the bag in. That way, you will have a visual of your personal stuff to help with the decision. You can swap stuff in and out based on weight and volume to see what impact it has.
    Don't forget to factor in the difference in weight of the bag fabric and any organizer cubes or similar that you would use.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own an A30 and find it runs to 7kg when comfortably full, or 8kg if it's really packed tight. That's with clothing, footwear, toiletries, chargers etc.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Denises, that was very helpful. Looks like I will need the 45 to reach 10 kgs then.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @G42 mentioned, clothing weight and type is very subjective. Wouldn't it be simpler to weigh all of the items you intend to take with you, and then compute the total baggage weight with each of the bags added in? I don't particularly understand your desire to maximize the weight of clothes you take...shouldn't you focus on simply taking everything that you need?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. as I mentioned, I carry 2 bags and I want as much of the total weight as possible in the Aeronaut.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís already a bit late but I reckon 10kgs goes easy into an A30. I used to get about 15 kilos into my A45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for record I pack arround 8kg into my GES25 (so almost 9kg into 25L, and I'm a tiny person)
    just a Bihnion here

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last trip I had my RB36 fairly full and the weight was around 7,5 kg - seems like I have voluminous but fairly light things? I think I would go with the A30 when the total needs to be under 10kg. With the A45 you would need to pay attention every time not to overpack it. In a bag that size it's easy to go over 10kg.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recent trip to Luxembourg was with a pretty full (ballistic) A30 weighed in at the check-in desk at just over 10Kg, although a chunk of that wasn't just clothes - there was a pair of (leather) boots, a bundle of cables, medications etc. But I would agree with the general feeling that an A30 can easily be >10Kg while an A45 would be difficult to keep below the limit - and would probably be quite under packed. Some of it will depend on bulk versus weight of what you're packing - if there are things like a bulky but lightweight down filled parka in there than YMMV!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> The thing is I fly helicopter to work and the max weight per luggage is 10 kg or 22 lbs.
    I also carry a Pilot or WF <<

I don't quite understand the inquiry. You want to replace the two bags you carry now, a Pilot and/or WF, and whatever other duffle or suitcase you're schlepping, with one large bag? Get the Aeronaut 45. If you fill it up, great. If you don't, also great. I am inferring you could easily just get both the A30 and A45, in matching colors, and use whichever accommodates your seasonal wardrobes. The Aeronauts are great bags.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an A45, and fully packed it's barely 14 lbs. BUT, I do not carry electronics or water bottles. I only pack one pair of very light shoes, and sometimes I don't even bring extra shoes.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have an A45, and fully packed it's barely 14 lbs. BUT, I do not carry electronics or water bottles. I only pack one pair of very light shoes, and sometimes I don't even bring extra shoes.
    Wow, you pack light!

Because I pack a camera and some other dense electronic gear, my S19 or S22 grazes about 14lbs when packed for a typical two or three week trip.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the input.
    @Bogiesan. I do not want replace two bags with the A30/45. I now carry a total of 15-16 kgs in a kitbag +WF or P and want 10 of these kgs in an A so that the WF/Pilot do not weigh more than 5-6 kgs.

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that you don’t find an A45 too large to carry and that there is no size limitation, then I effectively agree with Bogiesan’s view - an A45 seems to give you most options. You don’t need to fill it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast