Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durability of fabric

Hello all!
    I have a Pilot bag that I adore (at least design-wise!!) in the Black 525 Ballistic outer fabric, but I just found today some large scratch marks on the front. I have no idea where they came from given that they weren't there Monday evening, I didn't use the bag on Tuesday, and I found them this (Wednesday) morning (and all I did prior was catch a bus!). The fabric on the front is less than 9 months old, so I'm surprised that I could damage the bag without realizing at all.

Durability of fabric-20191218_131947_hdr-jpgDurability of fabric-20191218_132349_hdr-1-jpg

Has anyone else run into this issue with the 525 fabric? I've never had noticeable damage to much cheaper canvas bags that I carried around everyday for 2 years, so I wouldn't normally think it's something wrong with the way I'm using the bag (regular everyday commuting in a city, aka walking, buses, & metro).

I saw this thread about scuff marks on the 525 fabric, but unfortunately mine seem to be real damage (you can feel raised and fuzzy abrasion marks at the scratches) rather than issues with the DWR. Is the 525 fabric just not able to handle regular usage? Darcy commented that the 400 Halcyon fabric better hides imperfections-- would a bag with 400d Halcyon on the outside not have/show scratch marks like this? Is there anything I can do to reduce the appearance or fix the fabric? The scratchmarks are pretty obvious, especially with good lighting due to the natural shine of the 525 fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teatreesoil View Post

Has anyone else run into this issue with the 525 fabric? I've never had noticeable damage to much cheaper canvas bags that I carried around everyday for 2 years, so I wouldn't normally think it's something wrong with the way I'm using the bag (regular everyday commuting in a city, aka walking, buses, & metro).
    Just my two cents, but that looks like something fairly sharp dragged across the bag. You might want to contact the fine folks in Customer Service for their thoughts, since they may not see this post.

Welcome to the Forums too Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the 525 fabric a lot but I do find many more permanent visible marks on it than on either the 1050 or the Halcyon - especially with Deep Blue and Nebulous Grey. The marks on mine feel smoother than the surrounding fabric, though, not raised like yours look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I love the 525 fabric a lot but I do find many more permanent visible marks on it than on either the 1050 or the Halcyon - especially with Deep Blue and Nebulous Grey. The marks on mine feel smoother than the surrounding fabric, though, not raised like yours look.
    Dang, I love the deep blue & grey colors! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to avoid those colors though to avoid heartbreak. Weird though that yours are smoother, mine are definitely scuffed, with the fibers being raised at the scratch mark.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine are definitely scuffed, with the fibers being raised at the scratch mark.
    I would just echo what @G42 said above: try calling the customer service number or emailing emailus@tombihn.com with that photo. They're *very* responsive and very concerned with making sure you have a good experience with your bag, and might have advice about what to do with those marks.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome @teatreesoil

Based on the photos you shared, we think your Pilot is actually made from 1050d. Mike is reaching out in response to the email you sent.

Halcyon better hides smaller abrasion or that of a lesser degree. Abrasion to this degree could would also significantly impact the Halcyon; I don't think it would be a better choice. While we don't see many scuff marks like the ones in your photos, they can happen. Even though we use very durable, high quality, and abrasion-resistant materials, they can still experience abrasion... my new (well, new-to-me... it's used from a dealer) Nissan LEAF (yay!!) already unfortunately has some scratches (boo!!) on the doors and I don't know how they got there, even though I avoid tight parking spots. The good news is that the abrasion is cosmetic (on my car and your bag!) in nature. I know it's still a bummer.... is for me anyway with my car, especially because it's new and all, but I figure it's meant to be used and these scratches and more down the road might be part of its whole deal, depending on how the dice roll. Smilie
    Last edited by Darcy; 12-19-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, I love the deep blue & grey colors! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to avoid those colors though to avoid heartbreak. Weird though that yours are smoother, mine are definitely scuffed, with the fibers being raised at the scratch mark.
    Oh, no, I don't want to dissuade you! Those colors are beautiful and my bags are very thoroughly and lovingly abused. They are shoved in a small metal locker on a daily basis, usually I accidentally close the door on some part, and the dog often bites and drags them because they contained food at one point. (She also once chewed OFF the zipper on a bag because she couldn't open it to steal the sandwich inside.) I do plan on buying another Side Kick when I get more money because my current one has far too many scuff and scrape marks from this summer's World Cup in France and all the stonework I leaned on while trying to find some shade in the heat wave.

After looking at the picture you posted more closely, it really doesn't look like my 525 fabric or the marks I have on mine. As I see Darcy said, it really looks like the 1050 fabric based on the thread size of the weave and the shine you mention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think it must actually be a 1050 fabric bag actually! And that's probably the right way to look at things-- I'm a bit sad right now because it's not like I have any cool stories to share about the wear and tear on my bag, but I'll get over it soon enough I guess. (And oh my gosh, those are huge zippers!! What a determined puppy! Or a truly delicious sandwich :P )

Thanks for your advice!! This is a lovely forum Smilie