Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Bag repair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bag repair

What type of tape do you recommend for repairing tears in ripstop fabric?

Forum Member
    Santa Cruz, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gear Aid Tenacious Repair Tape

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a good experience with tears in luggage and in jacket interiors.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTravel View Post
    What type of tape do you recommend for repairing tears in ripstop fabric?
    Iím sure youíll get some good advice here but if anyone ever gets a hole in a TB bag make sure to contact customer service to see if it could be repaired by them.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's neat that you can stencil and cut out fun shapes to patch!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, I got a minute tear in the bottom of one of my halcyon large shopping bags two or three years ago. I did contact customer service, and there was not a good repair for it, but the amazing thing is that I have continued to use the bag for heavy shopping loads since, and the tear has not spread, and the bag continues to handle heavy loads just fine.

I am amazed at the durability of these bags!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Tenacious Tape as linked above. Cut it with rounded corners. Apply it in a warm environment and press it firmly. Let it cure for 24 hours. I've never had Tenacious Tape peel, except when intentionally removed.

I think that the Black Nylon is the toughest and appropriate for 400D Halcyon and high wear spots like bag bottoms. Sage and Off-White Ripstop are ideal for lighter fabrics and technical clothing like shell and puffy jackets. I've patched many a tent hole with the Ripstop Tenacious Tape, even mosquito netting.

Stay away from Clear at all costs, it is substantially less strong and only really appropriate for vinyl/PVC/urethane type materials!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrot, in your experience, how difficult is it to remove Tenacious tape intentionally? Does it leave a residue, and can you use the tape to reinforce a bag in high wear areas?
    I would suspect that for Tom to "repair" Halcyon, they would need to replace the whole damaged panel.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Carrot, in your experience, how difficult is it to remove Tenacious tape intentionally? Does it leave a residue, and can you use the tape to reinforce a bag in high wear areas?
    I would suspect that for Tom to "repair" Halcyon, they would need to replace the whole damaged panel.
    Tenacious Tape is designed to remove cleanly so that jackets, bags, etc, can be properly patched at a later time. On items I’ve patched it’s never been a question- the patches have been strong enough I haven’t even considered taking them off even through multiple laundry cycles and exposure to weather.

I think that black Tenacious tape would be good for reinforcing high wear areas, but I think that wear and tear is a natural experience for our things. I also don’t mind wear and holes, but I do patch things when able because I assume most holes are likely to get bigger with additional wear.

I can’t speak for TB as to how an item might be patched or repaired. I suspect that wear items like zippers are stitched in a way that makes them more replaceable but some fabric panels may not be replaceable at all.