Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding between a L12 and L15

Has anyone purchased a L12 and returned/traded it for an L15 (or vice versa) because of the usefulness of the padded back panel pocket? I've been flip flopping back and forth between the two sizes for months and still can't decide for certain which one would be more useful to me.

I naturally gravitate towards the L12; the photos on the website make it look quite little and cute, and the kinds of day trips I envision using it for should fit quite nicely. The only reason I would purchase a L15 over an L12 is the padded back panel pocket; I have big goals of purchasing a Macbook Pro 13" this year which apparently does not fit in a L12. That having been said... in the past I have been more likely to carry my laptop in a padded case and stick with my usual crossbody EDC to go to a cafe for internet than upgrade my stuff to a backpack. I'm not convinced I would use the back panel pocket enough to justify the larger size.

Has anyone else faced this conundrum, and have your electronics changed your mind post-purchase?

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a L15 because of my laptop. But ultimately sold it because it was just too long a black hole for me. I canít fit my laptop in the side pocket of the L12 but it fits fine in the main pocket. And, like you, I think the L12 is cute and great for short day excursions. If I need more space, Iíd rather my S22 that has more organization. And a water bottle, or umbrella, is much more accessible in the synik than the deep pocket of the luminary 15.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the original Luminary (12) and an L15.
    I actually use the padded back pocket more for Kindle, papers, journals, etc... which size I pick usually depends on how much I want to carry in the main compartment. Usually the Luminaries are my urban/walk-around backpacks because they are smaller/slimmer than the Synapses and have fewer exposed pockets. I don't usually use it for a laptop at all.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will a 15" MacBook Pro with cache fit in the main area of the L15? I know it won't fit in the smaller laptop side pocket. Thanks!
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Will a 15" MacBook Pro with cache fit in the main area of the L15?
    According to the end of the product page, no: "Slightly larger laptops in their respective Cache sleeves (or other minimalist sleeve/case) will fit loose in the main compartment of the Luminary (note that the bag itself does not have rail loops for the Cache). How about a 15” MacBookPro? Pfft – no way."

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    According to the end of the product page, no: "Slightly larger laptops in their respective Cache sleeves (or other minimalist sleeve/case) will fit loose in the main compartment of the Luminary (note that the bag itself does not have rail loops for the Cache). How about a 15” MacBookPro? Pfft – no way."
    Thank you Smilie I didn't read all the way to the bottom, haha!
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!