Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lockable zippers and next step bag security

Lockable zippers are great. When secured, they don't separate and contents don't fall out. However, according to several articles online, they are not access proof from bad intentioned persons - whether taking something from the bag or placing something into the bag. The quick take is zippers can be punctured with a ballpoint pen to open (metal just take little more pressure than plastic) and then zipper slides run over the opened area to reseal the zipper. The bag owner is none the wiser that access was gained.

Does the TB YKK zippers have anything special to prevent this ballpoint pen access technique?

Is there any feature on TB bags to at least connect the zipper to a handle or a solid point to prevent reclosing a nefariously opened zipper alerting the owner? Should there be a feature on bags most likely to get checked?

I am not trying to be the guy saying the world is evil and full of scary boogeyman around every corner. Just facts to face in my next trip and learning how to mitigate the risk.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of old threads, maybe 2014-ish, that talk about bag security. I mention them because there were a lot of pictures that you might find useful. Some pretty clever ideas for hooking the zipper pulls together. All the zippers on my TB bags are either water resistant with the rubber covering material or pretty heavy duty. I think using the ball point pen break in method would be pretty difficult.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Is there any feature on TB bags to at least connect the zipper to a handle or a solid point to prevent reclosing a nefariously opened zipper alerting the owner? Should there be a feature on bags most likely to get checked?
    Yeah, this is why i moved away from locks: no better way to advertise to thieves - and truth is, there are a lot of them that will even do mileage runs and try to spot people with spendy stuff in the gate area. Locks are a bright flashing signal "target me!"

Therefore, one feature I wish TB would add is the simple zipper loop - it's just a small piece of fabric sewn over the zipper teeth at the end of the zipper, allowing you to push the zipper pull through and preventing the bag from being easily unzipped:

Lockable zippers and next step bag security-pacsafe-citisafe-cx-anti-theft-convertable-backpack-zip-lock-jpg

The downside to this is, depending on the design of the end of that zipper path, you can't easily fully close the zipper which might allow in rain in an emergency, but that's a tradeoff i'd happily make. Plus, the pen method still works, but it's very difficult to close the zipper again without taking the bag out of an overhead or disturbing it if you're wearing it or it's near you.

That means with the zipper loop, a break-in is easy to spot, so if it happens in an overhead you can tell the FAs before passengers leave or easily spot it at a cafe or whatever. It's also just a deterrent for a clever thief - they'll pick the locks people, not you.

I'd vote for TB adding it!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 01-11-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they get into my main bag, all they get is dirty clothes and toiletries. The good stuff is in a crossbody bag like a Daylight Briefcase or Co Pilot in the seat with me.

I use a Nite Ize locking s-biner on zipper pulls to prevent pilfering. They require two hands to open.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I am not trying to be the guy saying the world is evil and full of scary boogeyman around every corner.
    Fine, then I'll say it.

I'm from New York.

THE WORLD IS EVIL AND FULL OF SCARY BOOGEYMEN AROUND EVERY CORNER.

And I'll even add:

LIKELY STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU ON THE SUBWAY.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCWriter View Post

LIKELY STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU ON THE SUBWAY.
    Nah, that's just NYCWriter standing in the subway.... they only look scary until you notice the TB bag!
    :P
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Yeah, this is why i moved away from locks: no better way to advertise to thieves - and truth is, there are a lot of them that will even do mileage runs and try to spot people with spendy stuff in the gate area. Locks are a bright flashing signal "target me!"

Therefore, one feature I wish TB would add is the simple zipper loop - it's just a small piece of fabric sewn over the zipper teeth at the end of the zipper, allowing you to push the zipper pull through and preventing the bag from being easily unzipped:
    That seems like a simple addition for 95% solution. I don't carry expensive things, just time-consuming and expensive to replace while away from home things.

When traveling I had been using a TSA cable lock through the zipper pulls on my S25 for all but 2 of the pockets. I realize now the error of my ways as the zipper could be punctured and although tools to cut the cable are likely not carryon approved, a master TSA key is likely allowed. Simpler solution for me now may be to carry only bare essentials and use large packing cubes as a second layer of complication.