Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Durability question about the new edgeless straps

For the past several years I've been traveling with a parapack Brain Bag that has withstood everything and still looks basically new.

However, I've felt that organizationally it's not making the best use of space (the brain cell takes up a lot of space) and it's hard to access everything that inhabits that huge 40 liters of space. So I thought I'd order a Synik 30 and see if it might make traveling and general use a bit more convenient and well-packed.

My main concern right now is the durability of the edgeless straps. The straps on the Brain Bag, while not the most comfortable, seem like they'll outlive the bag no matter how harshly I treat it. The edgeless traps, on the other hand, are covered in what seems to be a very thin, slightly stretchy nylon. When I'm shoving the bag under the airplane seat in tight conditions, I can imagine that if it were to catch on a sharp screw or any kind of metal, the strap fabric would tear and be unrepairable.

I'm curious about the durability testing on these straps as compared to the old style. Is tearing of the thin fabric ever an issue? Does it hold up when being rubbed and shoved against surfaces that might otherwise catch or scratch?

Thank you,
    John

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I canít answer about long-term durability, but Iíve owned a Synik 30 for a little over two months and the straps concerned me at first as well. The nylon that covers the foam padding is thin and will stretch and bunch under your fingers as you handle the strap. It didnít feel fragile as much as it felt disconcerting, as if it would snag or tear with regular use.

In day-to-day use, though, itís proved to be durable, and since itís taut to the strap and slick the straps rarely catch on anything. Iím constantly sliding my pack under van seats and in and around lumpy gear and itís been fine. I tend to be rough on my luggage and thereís not a single loose thread yet. My impression is that if anything would snag and these these straps, it would probably be sharp enough to snag or tear any strap.