Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DomHorrible View Post
    @organicfarmer This is great, and this is exactly what I meant when I said that the $100 is not the end of the world for me, but adding packing cubes and the such on top of that...

I've taken a couple pictures of my current bag to show the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfxhiDuRa7WSAdRi8
    My two cents after looking at your photos is packing cubes could help from the organization standpoint and compression of clothes. (No loose ends to unroll and entangle too) I was not a believer in packing cubes thinking they were unnecessary cost and more weight. Fast forward I now realize an extra item saves space and aids access to a top load bag. I was amazed at how much a 2.5 liter cube can hold when I packed it over full then pushed down its top with a lot of my weight and closed the zipper. IIRC i fit a xxl polo, pair socks, and one underwear in that little cube.

TB doesnt have a packing cube like them so i don't worry to mention Eagle creek pack it original tube cube or slim cube. I picked some up for $8 on sale and $12 regular price. They work nice for a change of clothes. I even have used them inside a TB packing cube to add compression of those items.

Lastly, i dont think I mentioned my point that packing cubes make access of main compartment items of the top loading Synapses easier thus closing the gap to the clamshell Syniks.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that EC tube cube. It makes my luminary useful for many additional purposes! For a tall backpack, that thing's a dream.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I have that EC tube cube. It makes my luminary useful for many additional purposes! For a tall backpack, that thing's a dream.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I agree. I have a set from REI that are 'expandable' in the tube shape. They work great in the luminary!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLDR: I'm still thinking (overthinking) about the ultimate choice, but taking into account the cost of an eventual cache and internal frame for the Synapse 25, the cost difference becomes moot. The only thing making me wait and consider is the overall "bigness" of the bag and the fact that this is a big purchase.

Well, I've got some of the Eagle Creek compression cubes on Amazon. Tomorrow I'll try them with some clothes to see just how much I can fit inside of them.

As for my stance on the S25 vs S30 situation, I'm still thinking about all the pros and cons, but I think I might be more and more convinced by the S30. Here are the facts from tens of reviews, blog posts, forums, etc. for those with the same problem:
    - The frame is good. You don't miss what you don't know, but having a frame in my current backpack is just more comfortable, but this might be a question of taste.
    - Luggage pass-through is a nice addition, but for someone who is looking for a one bag kind of deal, the idea of strolling around with a luggage defeat the purpose.
    - Clam-shell is good. Of course, being able to access more of the bag is good and all, but the real benefit comes from being able to open it from the side to retrieve stuff at the bottom, even with a full pack.
    - The updated handle is meh. I personally like the webbing handle just fine, I don't think it adds that much.
    - Laptop compartment. What is the worst thing that'll happen? Not using it? And if I begin to bring a laptop with me everywhere (I'm looking to get a tablet PC eventually), I'll need to get a cache, and it may as well be a TB with the rails for convenience.
    - The increase in price from the S25 to the S30 becomes way less painful when you take into account a "cache" and the frame. Technically, the bag is only $15 more.
    - The bag is clearly overkill for EDC, and for smaller, shorter people, it might look weird to carry such a big pack when you only have a water bottle and some essentials inside. As I said before, I'm basically twice the size of the average and I yearn for a bag that doesn't look like a lunchbox strapped on my back.
    - The straps are surely amazing. They look identical to the one on the Urban Assault, and those are pillows for your shoulder.
    - It is often described as a traveling backpack. While this is true, it's not any truer than the Synapse and how people are using it. They are practically the same size, the same look, the same organization BUT one has the clamshell and compression strap. The extra 5 liters seems to come from extra depth. Those features could come handy in other scenarios, like groceries or shopping in general, bringing a pack of beers and snacks to a party, hiking (of course), and having enough space to put a big coat when its too warm outside is something amazing.

So why am I still debating between the S25 and S30? Well, the $90 is surely a big point, but also the S25 is a little bit sleeker, and has less this aura of excess and wasted space when empty. This is very difficult to judge, as I have not found any pictures of a giant man (both in height and width) wearing the bag.
    Right now, I have the S30 in burnt orange in my cart, waiting. I'm still looking at both options, but I guess I just need more time to think it through. Some would say; "get the S30, then use the Urban Assault for EDC", but that ain't how I roll; one bag for everything. No need to swap stuff out.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    TB doesnt have a packing cube like them so i don't worry to mention Eagle creek pack it original tube cube or slim cube.
    I bought some online. I'll test them tomorrow. If they perform as well as you (and everyone it seems) says, I'll reconsider the S25, as I'm thinking more and more about getting the S30.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EC compression cubes are here! Great quality, I must say. I've used a small cube to compress my gym shorts and shirt, and it barely fits. Once compressed, the saved space is not as substantial as I had hoped. I agree that the small size is meant for socks, underwear and such, but I can extrapolate the result for the medium-sized one. What this tells me is that even in EDC mode, with gym clothes and maybe some odds and ends, the S30 won't feel like a gigantic void on my back.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this decision, and I'll be sure to post pictures and a review once the S30 is here.

Now... Burnt orange or plain black?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE to all people interested.

I lied. I'm sorry.

I finally pulled the trigger and got my first TB order.

EDC and occasional travel bag: Synapse 25 or Synik 30?-screen-shot-2020-01-28-9-42-55-am-png

Now, this might seem strange considering that I had made my choice earlier and I was bent on getting the S30, so why not going with it?

Well... Four things, mostly.

1. This will be my EDC bag first, travel bag second. If I NEED to bring a second bag for a longer trip, then so be it. But day-to-day? This will do just fine, and as long as it is bigger than my Urban Assault, the clamshell won't be missed.
    2. Laptop compartment? Don't need it. I barely bring my work laptop at home, and IF I get a laptop, it's going to be a tablet pc most likely, and I'll probably get a standard pouch for it. The cache is good, but not that good. My current laptop compartment in my backpack almost never used. Again, I won't miss it.
    3. Padded handle? I personally don't care. I like the look of the webbing handle. Luggage passthrough? I hate luggage. I'll probably bring a duffel bag if I need to bring more stuff. Frame? Now, this is the one that made me think the most; but ultimately, with my EDC being light most of the time, I won't feel the difference most of the time, and if I need support, I'll get one or but a book at the back.
    4. The price. As you can see, I got some accessories (which I wanted since the start), and with shipping, I paid $4 more than the S30 alone. For me, this is a better value.

Also, the blue exterior with iberian interior is one of the best-looking design to me. The first time I've ever seen TB stuff years ago, this was to colours combination that struck me the most.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update! I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm waiting for the GE preorder but I'm strongly leaning towards the Synapse as well, for similar reasons as you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE #2

The S25 is PLENTY big. The first bag I got that doesn't feel like a lunchbox on my back. Didn't get the chance to try it out, but my first impressions are :
    - Tons of space
    - The 3d organizer strapped to the cache loop "hack" in the main compartment is tight, but useful.
    - The 3d organizer itself is smaller than I would have thought.
    - I didn't believe, but the water bottle pocket does fit a 1l hydroflask.
    - I can see how the strap would feel a little rough to some people, but to me they're perfect.
    - Amazing materials and construction. The Iberian halcyon is not as bright as in pictures, but more than enough to offer good contrast with the content.
    - Zippers are much, MUCH smoother than those on the Urban Assault.

To those from Canada, the UPS fees were CAD $38. Take this into account when buying. Shipping took only two days.

Absolutely no buyer's remorse from me. Worth every penny for the quality alone, and I have no doubt about the capacity and usefulness in the long run.

I'll post pictures later this week.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE #2

The S25 is PLENTY big. The first bag I got that doesn't feel like a lunchbox on my back. Didn't get the chance to try it out, but my first impressions are :
    - Tons of space
    - The 3d organizer strapped to the cache loop "hack" in the main compartment is tight, but useful.
    - The 3d organizer itself is smaller than I would have thought.
    - I didn't believe, but the water bottle pocket does fit a 1l hydroflask.
    - I can see how the strap would feel a little rough to some people, but to me they're perfect.
    - Amazing materials and construction. The Iberian halcyon is not as bright as in pictures, but more than enough to offer good contrast with the content.
    - Zippers are much, MUCH smoother than those on the Urban Assault.

To those from Canada, the UPS fees were CAD $38. Take this into account when buying. Shipping took only two days.

Absolutely no buyer's remorse from me. Worth every penny for the quality alone, and I have no doubt about the capacity and usefulness in the long run.

I'll post pictures later this week.
    So glad you like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE #3

TLDR of my "journey";
    - Hesitation between the Synik 30 and Synapse 25, especially because of the $90 difference for features that may or may not be useful day to day.
    - Goes with the S25 because of price, available colors at the moment, and mainly because the S25 is a proven bag and was used by many people for many years in all situations.
    - Get the bag. Amazing stuff.
    - Used the bag for one week. I love it, but some adjustments had to be made to what I bring with me to get the best experience.

This will be my last update in this thread. I wanted to do a full review with tons of pictures and even a video, but I just don't have any time to myself between my job, day to day travel and other hobbies. I will get to it one day...

I still get one important picture:
    EDC and occasional travel bag: Synapse 25 or Synik 30?-img_20200130_221001-jpg

This will tell you everything you need to know if, like me, you are hesitant between getting a S25 or a S30. In this bag, I have:
    1. In the main compartment:
    - a hardcover A4 book of about 400 pages (think D&D manual)
    - small A5 hardcover notebook
    - a pair of size 12 shoes

2. in the compartments
    - Pens, multitool, keys, wallet
    - 1L hydroflask
    - 500ml hydroflask
    - gym clothes (in EC small compression cubes in the bottom pouch)

Now, the shoes look like they take all the main compartment, but there was still space for on or to books, and lots of space above them (using the floating 3D organizer). Packed like this, I couldn't have added clothes for a day or two. Full-size shoes (especially larger ones) take so much space. How to resolve this? Getting some super lightweight water shoes. In the gym, this is perfect for weightlifting. The bottom pouch couldn't fit both shoes (but just barely, there was enough space, but the opening wasn't large enough to get the second shoe in). Another way to save space (and be more comfortable) was to just put the shoes on their side at the bottom of the bag. They would fit nicely and left more space to add a towel or even clothes.

For the work trip in March, I don't doubt the capacity for a onebag kind of deal, but compression cubes will be needed.

Thanks to everyone for your help, and I hope I could help some people in return making a more enlightened choice for their purchase!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom pouch couldn't fit both shoes (but just barely, there was enough space, but the opening wasn't large enough to get the second shoe in). Another way to save space (and be more comfortable) was to just put the shoes on their side at the bottom of the bag. They would fit nicely and left more space to add a towel or even clothes.
    Great to hear the Synapse 25 is working out well for you. From my experience with my cordura S25 and other items made with ballistic, the material "relaxes" in first few months and the items seem to add capacity. Now I intentionally fill the items when not in use to their maximum volume and then every 2 weeks or so add more things. Even without doing that, I noticed the S25 having more volume over time. The fabric seems more pliable compared to the new fabric rigidity. YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the details and reviews. Also deciding between the two and leaning to the S25.

Since you are also here in Canada, beyond the $38 ding for UPS, did they also nail you for HST? I assume so coming through UPS.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbrunny View Post
    Thanks for the details and reviews. Also deciding between the two and leaning to the S25.

Since you are also here in Canada, beyond the $38 ding for UPS, did they also nail you for HST? I assume so coming through UPS.
    It was $38 total. I must admit that I didn't pay attention to what exactly I paid for; but I think there was maybe $17 that were taxes and such, the other $21 was the UPS stuff if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks DomHorrible. That is interesting. Normally with UPS, I get dinged for HST and a slew of other charges for their handling. I know that this may be a crapshoot and experiences may vary but gives me some hope that this will be better than when I normally receive items shipped via UPS.

It was $38 total. I must admit that I didn't pay attention to what exactly I paid for; but I think there was maybe $17 that were taxes and such, the other $21 was the UPS stuff if I remember correctly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast