Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does the HLT fit into a Synapse 25?

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I somehow couldn't find anything on the forums about this. How well does the HLT (either size) fit into the front pocket of a Synapse 25? I know that the HLT 2 is designed for the SN30, so it *should* work, but I just want to make sure that it wouldn't be super tight or anything. Also, if anyone knows if you can fit a HLT 1 into one of the side pockets, that'd be cool to know as well. Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Skirata44,

You can fit either an HLT1 or an HLT2 easily into the bottom front pocket of a Synapse 25. If anything, it’s a slightly easier (less tight) fit to use the HLT2 there than with the Synik 30, because the extra design features of the Synik 30, such as the addition of the padding at the base of the bag, don’t figure into additional slight constraints on how easily larger accessories can go into and out of the maximum opening of the pocket.

Because the design of the HLTs include the feature of letting you leave the top of the HLT tethered to the O-rings at the top of the bottom front pocket, and then pulling the HLT out of the pocket and unzipping it to access the contents, you can basically choose to use the HLT secured to the O-rings at the top of the pocket with (medium size) Double Carabiner Clips, or just carry the accessory inside the bottom pocket as you would a Side Effect (approximate dimensions of the HLT2) or a 3D Organizer Cube (approximate outline of an HLT1), although both size HLTs can have greater depth than the SE or 3DOC.

It really depends on how you want to organize your Synapse 25, and also how you like to transfer accessories between other bags. For example, 3D Organizer Cubes fit really easily in a host of different bags, so they can be convenient to use when switching to smaller backpacks (S19) or different style bags like the Pilot, as welll as being usable in the S25 Side pockets. I’m using a Small Snake Charmer in that pocket right now, because I’m carrying different items in the front and back pockets.

If you’re looking for a tethered solution, then the HLT2 will work better in the S25 bottom pocket, because the O-ring spacing matches the placement of the HLT2 centered in the pocket. While I could tether an HLT1 to either the two end O-rings, or to a center and end O-ring via Double Carabiner Clips, it would be awkward to pull this out — I’d probably just carry the HLT1 in the pocket of the S25 without tethering, and take it out by hand to access its contents.

Yes, the HLT1 should fit in the Synapse 25 side pockets. This works better for bags that were made after the late February 2019 design change in how the water bottle pocket sides are sewn, so I can’t check this directly; the only examples I have of the new design are with the Syniks, but it’s doable with older model Synapses where it’s also possible to use 3DOCs in the Side Pockets — it just won’t work as easily, especially since the HLT1s can be deeper when filled.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks a ton for that! Super helpful, thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    Wow, thanks a ton for that! Super helpful, thank you!
    Hi again,

I’m going to point you to some of my earlier posts with pictures, that illustrate the ways that the HLTs attach to bags, and pull out of the pockets. I don’t have these shot for the HLT2 inside a Synapse 25, although there are pictures of the HLT2s. Hopefully, this will give you an idea of the ways the HLTs are meant to be attached to either the top of a bag, or to the bottom pocket of a bag. Since I was replying to a question about the HLT1, I showed the way the attachment works in a Synik22 bottom pocket:

This is from my post [#9, 12-01-2019] in the December 2019 debut: These iconic handy little things (Icon & HLT 1 and 2) thread @bartleby started.

You can go through the linked post, as well as the rest of the thread to see pictures of how the HLT1 and HLT2 attach to various backpack spots. The basic idea is that the Double Carabiner Clips provide a quick and easy way to attach the HLTs either to the O-rings in the bottom pocket of a Synapse or Synik, or to the webbing loops at the top of the inside of the bag. The post shows examples o both types of connections. The more commonly used one is likely to be in the bottom front pocket, since if the HLT is dangling from the webbing loops at the top of the bag, it’s harder to use the top space in the backpack as efficiently. There are also well-known hacks for attaching a 3DOC via a keystrap to the webbing loops at the top of a Synapse that provide you with alternatives.

The Synapse 25 bottom pocket differs in having three O-rings at the top (one at the center, and two towards the sides). In either case, the HLT1 strap spacing is designed to use the two outer O-rings of the Synapse 19 or Synik 22 bottom pocket, while the HLT2 strap spacing is designed to use the two outer O-rings of the Synapse 25 or Synik 30 bottom pocket.

Notice that there is a handle strap along the HLT1 or HLT2 on the side away from the Double Carabiners/O-rings. You can use it to help pull out the HLT from the bottom pocket while leaving it tethered. If you are holding the HLT in your hand, the combination of this hand grip and the space under the back thumb straps provide grip points for easily holding and carrying the HLT.

It is important to realize that the HLT can zip open fully on three sides, so (unlike the Side Effect, which maintains more closure), you really have to think about how items are secured inside the HLT when you open it or hold it at different angles, because they will otherwise fall out.

The later pictures in the thread show some different packups.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-20-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: fixed typos