Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will an HLT fit in one of the front pockets on a Pilot?

Anyone tried an HLT in one of the front zippered pockets of a Pilot? My Side Effect fits perfectly, but I've been eyeing the HLT for its organization features & slightly larger capacity.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, an HLT2 will fit into the front zippered pockets of a Pilot (and obviously, so will the smaller HLT1). I’d probably be more inclined to carry this in the front left pocket (as viewed when facing the front of the Pilot — the one with a single, flat, back pocket, as opposed to pen slots, etc.)

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it, then, that a snake charmer (fully loaded) would also fit in the front pocket of the Pilot? I recently grabbed a Co-Pilot for this purpose, but it's quite a tight squeeze even when the snake charmer is only about half full.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UC5 View Post
    I take it, then, that a snake charmer (fully loaded) would also fit in the front pocket of the Pilot? I recently grabbed a Co-Pilot for this purpose, but it's quite a tight squeeze even when the snake charmer is only about half full.
    Welcome to the Forums @UC5!

My Small Snake Charmer fits in the front pockets of my halcyon Pilot. I don't have a large to double-check - I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UC5 View Post
    Hi @UC5,

If, by fully loaded, you’re asking whether it’s possible to stuff even a small snake charmer so full that it can fit into another bag, like the Brain Bag or Smart Alec (which are examples of cavernous backpacks where the original Snake Charmer, before the redesign into the current large amd small snake charmer sizes that took place at the end of November 2016), but would be difficult to fit into the front side pocket of a Pilot, then the answer is yes, you can stuff even a small snake charmer so full that it would not fit into the front side pocket of a Pilot.

However, to put this in perspective, many people use the Small Snake Charmer as an expandable alternative to the 3D Organizer Cubes — when you want to carry more than the depth of a single 3DOC (2” deep), but have the flexibility of moving the same accessory between locations where the pocket depth is shallower to places with more depth (e.g., Co-Pilot back pockets to Synapse bottom front zippered pockets), the Small Snake Charmer will work. For this use, @G42 is correct: a Small Snake Charmer can work to give you an accessory capacity more than a single 3DOC, and maybe some extra organization in the divided compartments.

However, if you try to maximally stuff a small snake charmer, you can make it expand to a depth of 4.3”. (That’s if I stuff a down vest into each side — the bottom fabric edge goes out to about 3.9”, and I can make the center of the mesh bulge out even more, fully stuffed). For example, take a look at the pictures in my post in the Daylight BC/BP into a stuff sack? thread, where I show a Daylight Briefcase packed into a 3DOC, and both a Daylight Briefcase and Daylight Backpack packed into the two sides of a Small Snake Charmer:

The total depth of the Pilot is 5.1”, and 4.9” for the Co-Pilot. So the maximum available depth in either the front zippered pockets or the main zippered pocket in back is roughly half of that. There’s a little flexibility in the placement of the Halcyon walls dividing the bag, but we’re talking about accessory depths of around 2.6” or less —- not 4.3”.

Here’s an old picture of the Standard Spiff Kit in the front pocket of the Pilot:

This is about the largest size accessory I’d comfortably fit in the Pilot zippered side pockets. It is 2.6” deep, similar to the HLTs (and larger in each of the other dimensions than the HLTs and the Side Effect)

While you could put an underfilled Large Snake Charmer into the Pilot Side Pocket, it’s a question of how much you’re willing to let it’s width protrude into the mesh of the central water bottle pocket. The Small Snake Charmer (not filled to 4” depth) is probably a better choice for most people.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-24-2020 at 10:46 AM.