Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22 or Synpase 25 for college

I am a 5,7" male and need a college bag that will hold the following:
    • 12" laptop
    • 2 spiral notebooks
    • 1" 3-ring binder
    • 2 text books
    • packable rain jacket

Would you advise a Synik 22 or Synpase 25? Thanks!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the S25 assuming it suits your torso length. I say this because of the ring binder.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S25 depending on size of the textbooks. SA or otherwise if you need something bigger.
    Sidekick | Founder's Briefcase ■

Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say S30 actually (I know not one you asked about). I say Synik for the built in laptop compartment and the 30 for the extra space because, trust me, you'll need it, sooner or later you'll need it.

Because eventually you'll have that semester where you end up taking that science class gen-ed with a 800 page textbook AND lab manual, plus the textbook for stats that EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE (why God why?!? I was an English major.....), plus you need to study for that English test between classes and snacks and a change of clothes because you're going to a LAN party after class at your buddy's dorm (they still do LAN parties right.....?). And then there's that weekend trip with the guys and hey, you've got the perfect 1 bag travel option and counts as a personal item on every airline.

But yeah..... my suggestion is Synik 30.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Monster Truck, Travel Tray

...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.
    ― Umberto Eco

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    I'd say S30 actually (I know not one you asked about). I say Synik for the built in laptop compartment and the 30 for the extra space because, trust me, you'll need it, sooner or later you'll need it.

Because eventually you'll have that semester where you end up taking that science class gen-ed with a 800 page textbook AND lab manual, plus the textbook for stats that EVERYONE HAS TO TAKE (why God why?!? I was an English major.....), plus you need to study for that English test between classes and snacks and a change of clothes because you're going to a LAN party after class at your buddy's dorm (they still do LAN parties right.....?). And then there's that weekend trip with the guys and hey, you've got the perfect 1 bag travel option and counts as a personal item on every airline.

But yeah..... my suggestion is Synik 30.
    This also describes a brain bag situation. Actually that could be a good option, the brain bag is only about 18 inches long, so likely a good fit for the OP (certainly is on me and I'm half an inch shorter), and it cinches down for the less heavy carry days

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Brain Bag and Synik 30 are bigger than I would care for.

Would the lower front pouch on the Synik 22 be big enough to store a rolled-up rain jacket?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @strictster!

If it's comfortable for your torso, I would suggest the Synapse 25, Synik 30, or Brain Bag as folks have mentioned.
    Your load looks like it would push the limit of the SN22 - depends on the exact sizes of your items..and that leaves you no contingency if you carry needs increase. Generally speaking, the TB packs work well when not fully stuffed, so don't be alarmed by the other packs as options.
    I'm short - 5'4", less than 20" torso, so the S25/SN30 are too tall for me... so when I size up from the S19/SN22, I go all the way to Brain Bag 36L. I love my Smart Alec, but it's more for travel than work or EDC for me.

If you're in the US, it might be best for you to buy more than one, test pack them (see FAQ for how), and return the one(s) that don't work.
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

Good luck and let us know what you do!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...