Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: HLT 2 sizing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HLT 2 sizing

The pics on the website have an open book being held on a "HLT 2 tray". Can anyone confirm that a trade-sized paperback fits when zipped into an HLT2? Also, does a regular sized Moleskine or similarly sized notebook fit?

Thank you for any help!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I was just looking at the Handy Little Thing dimensions and wondering if a Moleskin notebook would fit, too. elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @KmK and @AlaskaGirl,

The HLT2 is a tight fit for most standard trade paperbacks. By that I mean that I can just fit some of these into one side of the HLT2, but these can’t be very thick, and there’d be some concerns about stressing the corners. Some of the Lonely Planet books are slightly shorter (by nearly 1/4”), and that’s enough to fit inside. The issue is more about long term carrying and stressing the corners than transferring a book to be read this way on an open HLT2.

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    The pics on the website have an open book being held on a "HLT 2 tray". Can anyone confirm that a trade-sized paperback fits when zipped into an HLT2? Also, does a regular sized Moleskine or similarly sized notebook fit?

Thank you for any help!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    I was just looking at the Handy Little Thing dimensions and wondering if a Moleskin notebook would fit, too. elisa
    A standard Moeleskine is definitely too long to fit. I gave examples of the largest size journals I felt I could comfortably fit in the HLT2 in this post. That was a Leuchtturm1917 B6 planner:

It’s slightly narrower than standard trade sized paperback — just a tad wider than the Lonely Planet books I mentioned above. — and also shorter by about 1/8”. I should have shown one of their B6 slim (softcover) notebooks. That can just fit under the mesh pocket.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moriond,

Thank you! Super helpful...as ever and as always.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    I should have added that standard small hard cover Moleskine Classic Notebook 3.5”x 5.5” fits below the mesh pocket of the HLT1, but My understanding is that you are asking about the HLT2. Thicker notebooks, like the B6 sized Leuchtturm1917 planner can be secured in the HLT2 by inserting one cover under the mesh pocket and having the rest of the notebook close on top. The slim, softcover B6 notebooks (not shown in pictures, tu with the same cross-section — just slimmer — can slip entirely under the mesh pocket.

For the HLT1, in addition to the Moleskine 3.5”x5.5” hard cover notebook I showed in pictures, I could also fit the slightly longer Leuchtturm 1917 pocket notebook (90 x 150 mm) under the mesh pocket. If you feel that this puts more limits on how much you put into the pocket, you can just insert one cover. The smaller Moleskine in the HLT1 is shown in a later post #22 in the same thread as my earlier linked post (#13) for the HLT2. I f you want a comparison of the height of the Leuchtturm1917 pocket notebook with a Moleskiné , there are pictures in my post answering @jujigatame about notebooks that would fit in the original version Passport Pouch. Here is an excerpted picture:

The taller Leuchhturm1917 pocket notebook in light blue is shown under a Field Notes notebook, which is similar to the Moleskine.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings moriond,
    Thank you very much! That answered my question. Your photos are perfect visuals.

I did not know Leuchtturm made planners. I love their dot grid journals.

Thank you! elisa