Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question S22 or S30 for DW? Spending spring break at Disney World!

So, I'm gearing up for a rite of passage - a week at Disney World, during spring break, as an adult. i.e., for the first time there, I'll have to haul my own stuff. As well as my daughter's, husbands, and that of the grandparents. (Not complaining - just making sure that it's clear how much I'll need this bag to hold.) Water, sunblock, maybe an extra pair of comfy shoes, assorted phone chargers, small purse, maybe a change of clothes for kiddo, travel towel, and who know what else.

Obviously, I don't want to invest in a TB bag just for one trip. If it were just DW, I think the 22 would be the way to go. But beyond that, I could see the 30 coming in handy. In my non-DW life, I:

1. have severe and chronic shoulder problems - less is more, and no more shoulder bags ever (a vote for the 22).
    2. always have a water bottle, ranging between 20-25 oz.
    3. must carry my hefty A5 planner or the world will end. Seriously.
    4. usually have a SE-sized purse/pouch for grab-and-go with my wallet, keys, meds, and tea.
    5. subscribe to an "If I have it, I haul it" philosophy.

I'm pretty sure that can all fit comfortably in a 22. The issue is my work. I'm a graphic facilitator, which means I carry around a mash-up of an art studio and office supply store all the time. A4 sketchbooks, all the expensive-but-worth-it Japanese and German markers and refills I can find, Post-it Notes, Sharpies, rulers, battery clamps and masking tape (for hanging paper), etc.

I'm leaning toward the 22, and wondering if I am over-thinking the thing about needing a 30 for hauling work supplies. My preference is the Guide's edition - missed the first round but I have signed up for notice if there's a second.

I've also made up my mind to throw in an HLT because those critters look awesome! Contemplating an FS as well, although I never get as much use out of them as I expect, and they end up on Craigslist.

Thank you for reading this long-winded way of saying "I'd like your thoughts on which Synik is better for a long-term investment."

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I suggest purchasing one of each and returning the one that doesn't work out? It's a $10 fee to return so nothing you would really miss.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but logic is my kryptonite. Embarrassment

Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a season pass holder, I would actually NOT recommend either for a Disney trip (yeah I know people do it but I wouldn't).

Disney does a bag check before going into the parks (and each time you switch parks except when going from Epcot to MK) and they go through EVERY zippered pocket and all the way to the bottom. The 'S's with all those pockets will take forever and those bag lines can already get pretty long. Even more so if you have a bunch of little bags inside (yes, they make you open them, they even asked me to unzip my wallet once and show the inside). BTW, NEVER get in a bag check line behind a stroller (they take forever).

Honestly.... I think you're bringing too much. I know it can be hard with kids but finding a space on some rides to put a bag of that size will be difficult (Everest and Space Mountain... I'm looking at you). Skip the change of clothes/shoes, if you really need to change take a mid afternoon break back at the hotel. You can get a strap that will hold a water bottle and won't count as a bag (plus go for a smaller water bottle and refill more often, fountains are fairly plentiful).You can even find holders that clip to something for the ears. For money, I use a small Vera Bradley zipper pouch and a key strap to clip it to whatever I'm wearing so I know it won't fall out. Stick with 1 cable and a power pack and make that the default phone for everything. Everyone's else should last just fine and save the tangled mess. For the most part, don't bother with entertainment with for the lines, Disney has the Play app with games and such, some of them interactive with the queue itself.

You'll be far less miserable with the absolute minimum you can possibly get away with. Just my two cents, you know your family and travel better but really, you'll be amazed at how little you really need.

As for the work options, I dunno, I tend to be a plan-for-the-worst case type, so I'd say go with the S30. You can always put less into a bigger bag but it's harder to put more into a smaller one.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Monster Truck, Travel Tray

“...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.”
    ― Umberto Eco

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpToNoGood View Post

1. have severe and chronic shoulder problems - less is more, and no more shoulder bags ever (a vote for the 22).

5. subscribe to an "If I have it, I haul it" philosophy.
    I think I found your problem LOL! That have-haul philosophy can't be doing good things for your less-is-more requirement.

@TheLibrarian is right: the 30 is Way too big. Even the 22 is overkill. And all those zippers are gonna be tedous at security. And you will have way more fun if you just bring the minimum. My sister is a passholder, too, and she carries a 5L mini backpack! The passholders have the how-to-Disney wisdom. You can go down a rabbit hole of youtube videos about it!

That's why it seems to me that work and theme parking have such different requirements that I doubt I'd consider using the same bag for both. I'm looking at my S19 work bag right now thinking the bag itself weighs more than the stuff I want to carry in the park. The best TB backpack for Disney IMO: Luminary 12 b/c comfy straps, few zippered compartments, plenty big, structure to keep your water bottle upright. But if you definitely want a bag for work that you can also carry at Disney, the 22 is an okay compromise.

While we're on the subject: here's another reason for TB to make a mini backpack, like a Sprout with grown-up length straps.

BTW, if i had to carry everybody else's stuff, I'd complain in a loud, shrill voice for a very long time.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post

BTW, if i had to carry everybody else's stuff, I'd complain in a loud, shrill voice for a very long time.
    Hahahahaha me too!

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m going with the extended family in May so keen to see the replies here.

My gut feel is the same as others though. Less is more.

Not sure what this bag would be but maybe makers bag (1 big pocket) or something even smaller.

Yes, security lines and bag searches are tedious but I also want to be comfortable carrying something all day long. So I’ll keep considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    daylight backpack, its small enough to roll away into your luggage but has that Mary Poppins quality to it. It will be easy for security to go through and super comfy to carry. I get carrying your daughter’s stuff, and even hubby’s, if he takes turns carrying it, but the grandparents are grown adults and should carry their own stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the daylight backpack, I carried it for our family of 3 and it worked great for Disney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. These are GREAT responses! I do have a DLBP and never reach for it - sometimes it chafes a bit, but maybe I should do some dry runs with a t-shirt instead of my standard tank tops to see if that helps.

RE: grandparents hauling their own stuff. They have some mobility issues, so I'm not counting on much there. I'm also getting over a broken ankle - there's a reason this website exists - and while I'm walking mostly fine now, the plan is to leave my husband bag-free so he can be the one to run after our daughter if needed.

But I am definitely hearing "smaller bag, few pockets". Will play around with my DLBP - but I reserve the right to find an excuse that *will* justify purchasing one of the Syniks!

Really appreciate these inputs - and the cold hard truth of DW logistics. But I'm a huge EPCOT fan and it will be fun to see and the other parks after such a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. These are GREAT responses! I do have a DLBP and never reach for it - sometimes it chafes a bit, but maybe I should do some dry runs with a t-shirt instead of my standard tank tops to see if that helps.

RE: grandparents hauling their own stuff. They have some mobility issues, so I'm not counting on much there. I'm also getting over a broken ankle - there's a reason this website exists - and while I'm walking mostly fine now, the plan is to leave my husband bag-free so he can be the one to run after our daughter if needed.

But I am definitely hearing "smaller bag, few pockets". Will play around with my DLBP - but I reserve the right to find an excuse that *will* justify purchasing one of the Syniks!

Really appreciate these inputs - and the cold hard truth of DW logistics. But I'm a huge EPCOT fan and it will be fun to see and the other parks after such a long time.
    Getting over a broken ankle is so annoying - I had one last June! I have to say, you'll appreciate the lighter load while recovering. It might chafe to pay for snacks and have to stop by water fountains more frequently, but it'll be worth it vs hauling everything around.

And justifying the Synik is easy: it's a fabulous bag for outside of Disney Wink
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live near Disney World. They do not like backpacks there. They are a security hassle. Plus, you don't need to haul all that stuff all day. Water is heavy. They have water fountains, and drink concession stands all over the place. You do not need any of that stuff. You do not need a planner. You're on VACATION. If you must bring this stuff, leave it in a locker when you enter, and walk around unencumbered.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    If you must bring this stuff, leave it in a locker when you enter, and walk around unencumbered.
    I think this is the best solution. Bring a bag to hold all the stuff and lock it up until you need it. Only carry a water bottle (who wants to search for water fountains, when there are rides to go on).Cool

Have fun at Disney!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post

Not sure what this bag would be but maybe makers bag (1 big pocket) or something even smaller.
    With rides and whatnot, I think you'd want something that zips. Definitely seconding the DLBP suggestion. My last trip, I took a LCB and while it got the job done, I was wishing for something with backpack straps.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the t-shirt thought - I don't like my DLBP with tank tops, but tees are just fine. If you need more space, consider your husband also wearing a DLBP. It shouldn't hinder him from needing to run after your kid if need be, but gives you extra space if needed.

My thoughts with Disney is that there really isn't anything you can't buy in the park, aside from maybe the shoes. :-) Just wear your most comfy pair and go with it - don't worry about changing in the middle of the day. Especially with warmer weather, the less you haul, the better. The comments every one else made about bag size and where you can stash your bags are VERY good points. Syniks are big bags, even to try to get into some of the lockers! Totally get a Synik for your work bag, but go light in the park. :-) Have a great trip!
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast