Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Making bags stand out/easy to identify

Hello all, this is my first bag, so first post:

My new bag is the Empire Builder; so far Im very happy.

My previous bag was from a company that had a build your own service; I customized mine to be very... bright. As in three different reflective color materials bright. Partly because Im always concerned with visibility, but also because I forget things a lot, and everyone in my office could pick out my bag pretty quickly when I left it somewhere.

My question is: what have people done to tag, identify, flag, or otherwise mark their bags? I dont have a clue on how Im going to do with walking around at night with a dark-colored bag, but clearly I also need a way to clearly tag it. Are there good sources for tags that have worked well with these briefcases, or has anyone come up with a good solution to permanently mark (maybe custom embroider) their bag?

I have an old luggage tag attached to it just in case, but Im sure someone has come up with a better idea more consistent with the Tom Bihn style. Thanks for any thoughts, and Id be happy to share what I finally come up with...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @KMP and congrats on the Empire Builder!

I'm no help on your question as I don't do anything to mark my bags, but I'm sure others will chime in shortly
    Smilie
    Last edited by G42; 02-09-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about brightly coloured and/ or reflective zipper pulls and handle wraps (meant for suitcases, but why not here too).
    My husband can't see black items either, so I get it. High contrast is needed!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the easy to identify front: I rarely buy black, and that helps a lot because a lot of other people buy black! Contrasting zipper pulls come next. My Aubergine Synik has Wasabi zipper pulls (except on the laptop compartment, there I used black) and that helps too. I also found some reflective clips in Ikea which I've attached to my medium caf bag. Now I'm visible at night as well as it being harder to leave behind. For my upcoming trip this weekend I've got my frequent flyer luggage tag and a hero clip (Seattle colors) on my Synik top handle too.
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Caf Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of bicycle tail lights that have strap clips built in, which is my preference for walking at night. A hiking style headlamp works too. There are reflective leg bands that you can wear or wrap around your pack strap.

As far as luggage carousel identification, there are bright florescent luggage tags and handle wraps.

Forum Member
    MO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some 325 paracord (the size TB uses for their zipper pulls) in some fun colors that they dont sell to customize pouches and bags.

In the case of a bag like the Luminary or the Synik, I use different colors for different pockets so I can easily identify which pocket is which. I dont use tons of different colors, but just using black for most pockets and then using Orange or bright pink, for example, makes it easy to figure out which pocket it is and gives a pop of color.

Im really digging this orange that Im using on my nebulous grey Luminary 15, and I will have some burgundy ones on my navy parapack Synik 30 that will be coming this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like a dragonfly knot tied in a bright colour.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making bags stand out/easy to identify-2cdb58b4-e250-4bd9-853e-ef96026e0b1f-jpeg

Orange stands out

France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not too bold but my Sypnase (which already stands out because it is Mars Red & in Guide Edition's style) has knot zip pullers: 2 dragonfly knots, 1 person knot, 1 cobra knot, 2 diamond knots, 1 I-dunno-the-name knot, 1 2-bead-knots on the knot (as shown on my avatar) 8D

BTW I use a red with reflective dots paracord for my knot zip pullers
    Last edited by Rei; 02-10-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all great ideas, thanks! It sounds like I should get some paracord, and study up in knots...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for TB items specifically, but if you have one of the million black suitcases at baggage claim, colorful duct tape works wonders.

Our old black suitcase has purple duct tape curved around each of its four corners. Not as dead-obvious as just having a non-black suitcase (our second, more recent suitcase purchase is burgundy), but makes spotting it on the carousel easy and has lasted for at least 12 years now.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I weave brightly colored inkle bands and loop them around straps or handles. My husband recognizes my weaving.

I also never buy black bags. I try to choose the more unusual colors. Aubergine and coyote.

For a couple of bags, I did buy navy, but I sewed patched on them to make them look like a TARDIS.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I travel with and wear while traveling is insanely and obnoxiously bright, neon, fluorescent. When the bus is getting ready to leave, I want some to ask, "Hey/ where's that funny old guy in the orange shirt?" My TB bags are orange or red. If they weren't, I'd be buying fluorescent colored luggage tags for all of them. The travel section at just about any department store, luggage shop, or REI can hook you up with several interesting ways to tag your bags. My father spray-painted a metallic gold "B" on their luggage. Worked a charm.

Many years ago, my stupid black suitcase went home with someone who left their stupid black suitcase on the carousel at Denver. Took me 36 hours to get my bag. So, not only are all of my bags easy to spot now, I am also committed to carry-on-only.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    not too bold but my Sypnase (which already stands out because it is Mars Red & in Guide Edition's style) has knot zip pullers: 2 dragonfly knots, 1 person knot, 1 cobra knot, 2 diamond knots, 1 I-dunno-the-name knot, 1 2-bead-knots on the knot (as shown on my avatar) 8D
    Greetings,
    Would you share photos of each of these knots, please? I learned to make the dragonfly knot and several others, but I'm always on the lookout for a great zipper pull knot. Thanks! elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post

Many years ago, my stupid black suitcase went home with someone who left their stupid black suitcase on the carousel at Denver. Took me 36 hours to get my bag.
    My mom's twin sister had a similar experience. Except when she opened "her" black bag, it was full of business papers and men's ties and business shirts. Somewhere, there was a businessman, ready for his important presentation, who opened "his" black bag, only to find stripper heels and lace panties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast