Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking Enablers: Having Both Aeronauts

Thanks to this forum I pulled the trigger on a new Aeronaut 45 which was perfect for my Jamaican trip. I was doing a test pack for an upcoming trip and was debating getting the A30 because I fear the A45 would be too floppy. This is what Iím bringing:

1 pair of size 48 jeans
    1 Patagonia better sweater jacket size 3X
    4 tee shirts sized 3X
    5 pair of underwear
    5 pair of socks
    1 toiletry kit.

The A45 shines where I have to bring shoes but when underpacked the contents shift to the bottom making it an awkward carry.

So those who own both: do you use both and for what situations? Also, do you use A30 cubes in your A45?

ETA: Iím 6í and over 300 Lbs
    Last edited by MJT7665; 02-17-2020 at 08:25 AM.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both an original Aeronaut (A45 sized but predates the launch of the A30) and an A30.
    I'm also 6'2" tall and 250lb or thereabouts. 48" chest and 40" waist or thereabouts.
    I frequently use the A30 for trips (generally domestic - I travel to the London office a couple of times a month) of up to 3 nights; the load includes at least one laptop, cables, medications etc.
    I also used the A30 late last year for a 3 night visit to Luxembourg, with the laptop coming along in a Large Cafe Bag which I used as EDC while there. The combination allowed me to escape having any checked baggage (travelling KLM) and worked very well. That load included several thin cotton turtlenecks, a pair of size 40 jeans, a pair of size 11 men's leather boots, a fairly chunky sweatshirt (on the way back) and several days' worth of underwear and socks - plus a Halcyon Side Effect stuffed full of my prescription medications; and the obligatory chargers, socket adapter and wash kit. It was a fairly tight squeeze, but worked really well.
    The A45 doesn't see as much use as it used to - since getting the A30 I deliberately tend to pack lighter - but for 4 nights or more on a work trip (a rarity these days) it is brought into use.
    As far as cubes are concerned, I have used A45 half cubes in my A30! The original A45 Packing Cube Backpack will also work - snug! - in the A30 main compartment, and a Clear Quarter Cube - designed to fit two in an A45 end pocket - will fit 'on its side' in the A30 end pocket with enough room for a 3D Clear Cube end-on next to it. I also routinely use one or two Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in packing cube mode, to organise my clothes in the A30.

Unpacking-my-a30-at-the-hotel.html is my original post from the first time I used the A30 in anger and shows some of these things.

where-did-your-tb-bag-go-lately-luxembourg-trip includes full details of what I packed on my Luxembourg trip last November.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 02-17-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both A45, my first TB bag, and More recently A30 and use both depending on what I am carrying and duration of travel. For shorter trips the A30 and it’s slightly smaller size works well and is easy to carry if moving around a lot. But for longer trips the A45 works better allowing a bit more space, but I do try to limit weight unless I know I won’t be lugging it around too much. The optional frame helped the A45 a lot when underpacked.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Patagonia MLC45 and a TB Aero30. They see equal usage and I really enjoy the compact efficiency of the A30 but I am never concerned about underpacking the MLC45. Cubes keep items organized even if they settle. I tend to use both bags in duffle mode more than backpack mode.

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a small Yeoman Duffel instead? It has 28 litres, two less than the A30. If you really only take whatís on your list you donít necessarily need the organization of the Aeronaut. Or would you prefer to carry it backpack style? The YD is super lightweight in comparison and a lot less expensive. I have a mini YD which I use for similar packing lists (much smaller woman) together with an absolute shoulder strap. I love how tiny and lightweight the YD is, I sometimes donít even remember Iím carrying it. The small YD would probably work similarly for you, scale wise.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 02-17-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd second looking at the small Yeoman Duffel - in use, I really can't see any difference in capacity with the Aeronaut 30, as the end pockets dictate what can be carried where.
    It is under half the weight of the Aeronaut 30 which helps when there is an enforced 8kg carry-on limit!

Having written that, I do prefer the main opening orientation on the Aeronaut 30, so tend to use it more often.
    Last edited by Lemming; 02-18-2020 at 03:48 AM.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave one side pocket empty in the A45 if I'm not going to fill it up, whichever will be the top side pocket when carried in backpack mode. I haven't had any problems with it underpacked, I manage to cram too much in every time. If I know I'll be carrying my bag for long distances, I use the A30 and force myself to bring less. Car trips are always the A45.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both. A30 sees the most use for airplane 2-3 days travel. Itís just compact enough to always be carry on guaranteed as you just canít overpack it beyond the sizers.

The A45 gets a lot of use when longer trips (especially car trips where no size limit) need more clothes or when I need to squeeze a small bag like a Pilot/ristretto in the main compartment.

I also find the A45 end pockets much more useful as they feel huge and can fit a lot. The A30 end pockets just donít feel like they hold much even taking into account the size difference.

Because of this Iíve justified keeping both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)